Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 02:57 PM

43 posts, read 29,963 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. I've been reading a lot and wanted to see if your collective minds will be kind enough to spend some time reading my long post and sharing your own, subjective perspectives and feedback. In return, happy to provide any feedback on Australia or APAC region as a whole, if anyone is interested, based on my 16+ years of living Down Under.

I need to make a move from this beautiful, sunny, very dry, infested by the World's most poisonous bugs and reptiles country, where even birds try to take you out when you are cycling. My elder daughter does not tolerate sun well. For which, Australia is probably the least suitable country considering the Ozone Hole and how sunny it is.

Being employed by a great American company, I'm working at the moment with the HR and upper folks to organise the move and in a few weeks I'm chatting with one of the EVPs who happens to visit Sydney as well as, once they agreed on the roles and reporting lines, a discussion about location will happen, for which I need to be ready. I've been to the US a few times, both coasts plus that island between your West Coast and our East Coast, alas have never visited Illinois.

After about six weeks of a thorough research using tools at my disposal - niche, zillow, this forum, schooldigger among many others I landed on Chicago suburbs, more specifically around the North Shore area as the most likely destination. Schooling is the most important factor for us (two girls - 5 and 2) and Deerfield feels like the place that ticks every box. Walden Primary and the South Park (I am a fan of the series) for the younger kid before she goes to Walden.

Through my research I checked every economically developed state that has four seasons (being born and bred in Ukraine, both Mrs an I are quite familiar with the meaning of a proper winter) and Illinois feels like the highest concentration of best schools. NJ would be another option, but quite behind the IL. I identified some good spots in Virginia, Maryland, Oregon, Vermont, Massachusetts and others but, schooling wise, Illinois stood out by a huge margin, so visible even from afar.

Coming from Sydney suburbs I'm OK with the travel (it takes me 1 hr 20 minutes mixing car and a train to get to work, that is outside Sydney CBD) so commuting is not a problem, my understanding Metra takes 55 minutes from Deerfield). My wife is a newborn and family photographer so living in the family-oriented community where educational and income levels are high is yet another important factor. I wouldn't want to live in the city (crime factor and higher density). The care factor for diversity - racial or religious is minimal however, we support the opinion that the National Tradition should prevail the personal preferences. I mean nothing wrong with the personal, just keep it personal without trying to over-ride the National.

Ultimately, we will be looking to buying a nice and spacious house (4000-5000 sq feet) one area of which can be converted as a studio. Our budget, subject to how well our current house sells and AUD/USD performance will be in vicinity of 1.1M. We would want to have a newer property (say built after 2000), unless there is a reason to consider older properties -- here I'm judging by Sydney where old stock is generally a lot of headache and non-stop maintenance. Having built my current house (flooring and 100% of landscape) more than 10 years ago, I'm not looking for much DYI, but will, if absolutely necessary. I do not think we will stretch much beyond 1.1 and ideally I will be looking to spend less, however, the quality and long-term value will prevail over anything else. We will stay for 15-25 years or so, until the property taxes and the need to retire force us to downsize.

On arrival, that I'm targeting to happen before the school starts in September, we will be renting something in vicinity of the Walden Primary and the choice of the property will be budget driven, considering the temporary nature of it - until I build my credit score, we get better a feel for the area and a right property gets available.

That's probably enough of the exec summary and background of our goals and motivations. Whilst I believe my research has been deep, I understand nothing can compete with personal perspectives from the local residents for which I and my family are very grateful.

Other questions in no particular order:

1. Our N1 goes starts Kindie in Australia in Jan'20 (our school year, same as seasons are weird) and if she has to start an American school in Sep'20, we have two options -- do Kindie all over again (risking her to get bored that will impact grades, behaviour and school standing) or aim for the Grade 1 that can be more pressure on her. She almost reads, understands numbers (I mean counting to infinity, before she gets bored, which is usually after 100). We deviate towards the Year 1 option. Do I ask the school to share with us the requirements she has to meet so she's accepted to Y1? She will be six in Dec 2020.

2. Activities. Gymnastics, proper dancing, swimming? Glencoe and Lake Forest beaches are short spit away and I will take the lake over the ocean any time when the water is above 18'C (65F?) considering the absence of crushing waves, life threatening jelly fish, sharks and octopuses. My understanding we will get access to everything of that in the 10 mile radius?

3. I want to stick with a diesel, surprisingly, you guys favour petrol more. Say in Australia, you will struggle to find a petrol MB GLS, with the only option is V8 AMG that is not too practicable, considering its thirst and gas prices hitting $AUD2 per litre. I understand the gelling risks for which I believe the fuel stations already supply winter mix.

4. The best wired Internet service - Static IP and best possible uploads - for the Mrs business website. Xfinity or Comcast Business (1gbps at ~200 per month?)

5. Is it worth having a pool?

6. Any specific advice for what to look for when renting? Considering it is temporary, mostly month by month, my care factor is minimal. Wrong?

Thank you for reading this long post, hope that was manageable. Really appreciate your perspectives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 03:51 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Tmi

Diesel is extremely unpopular in Illinois and the fuel blends here will destroy your diesel engine. Hence, diesel passenger vehicles are rarely sold here. My Mercedes-Benz diesel was positively destroyed by 70k miles because of Illinois Ultra-Low Sulphur. These cars need pure diesel. Go petrol and spare yourself a headache. If you have $1.1 mil for a home, you can afford the fuel.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:39 AM

629 posts, read 543,318 times
1) She'll be fine

2) Yes

3) get a regular gas car, very annoying to have deisel in Chicagoland

4) xfinity and comcast are the same company, I have gigabyte internet from RCN for like $70 a month in the city though... look around

5) no, it never gets that hot anymore, have had like one day over 100F temperature in the last 10 years, especially near the lake

6) no clue, never rented in the north shore

Old 11-01-2019, 11:56 AM

Another reason why diesel has not been popular in the States is because the U.S. and California have long had stronger emissions standards when it comes to particulate pollution. These regulations have prevented most diesel passenger cars sold globally from passing muster.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:17 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,482 times
Super informative post and very nicely written!

I'll focus on the school aspect. First of all, most schools have a September 1st cut off for age so if you child is not age 5 by then they will more than likely not be able to start kindergarten until the following year. Not sure about foreign transfers to you will want to talk to the school directly about that.

I would stay away from Niche and Zillow. Their information is suspect at best. If you really want to get good school information and comparisons, use the Illinois interactive report card. For someone who likes to research, you will find this to be your best site for school information. https://www.illinoisreportcard.com/

As far as the rest, totally agree on the diesel vs gas argument. Better to go with gas,

I can't add much about the North shore as I am in the western suburbs. But you should probably take a look at north shore and towns along the Metra BNSF especially if you work downtown.

Wherever you land, check out the local park district for activities. I would start there and then after you are here for a while, you check out private clubs/teams.

If you are set on Deerfield, I am sure that they have a FB group for the local Moms....that is usually a wealth of information, especially for kid activities and such. See if you can find one before you move and join to get a feel for the community.

As for the pool.....I grew up with one and would always vote yes if asked. They are a lot of work and expense but there is nothing like being able to swim when you want and not have to follow someone else rules or be with tons of other people. Totally my opinion so do what you think makes sense for you.

Best of luck on your search and welcome to the States!

Old 11-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Tmi

Diesel is extremely unpopular in Illinois and the fuel blends here will destroy your diesel engine. Hence, diesel passenger vehicles are rarely sold here. My Mercedes-Benz diesel was positively destroyed by 70k miles because of Illinois Ultra-Low Sulphur. These cars need pure diesel. Go petrol and spare yourself a headache. If you have $1.1 mil for a home, you can afford the fuel.

Thanks for the clarification! My GL is at 70K miles ATM and going strong. Considering Sydney climate varies between "very hot" and "slightly chill" summer, the quality of diesel is fine
On the point of emissions, with the AdBlue I believe Merc did something incredible. The GL 350, when started in the garage smells roses... Whilst another car, 2.0t Merc petrol engine, stinks... My preference for the diesel was driven by the sheer amount of torque but maybe I need to drive a V8 petrol to see the difference.

I wish I had USD 1.1M sitting in my pocket. My budget was aiming at a mortgage with a substantial deposit, considering my credit history in the US is nonexistent.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:38 PM

smegmatite,
whakru

Thank You. Appreciate your feedback and info!

For the school info -- is www.schooldigger.org any good?

I seem to be getting problems with the www.illinoisreportcard.com from Australia. It seems they use a kind of Geo-Block, similar to the cyberdriveillinois. Won't even resolve the DNS and trying to hop via a US-based proxy does not help either.

update. Positively Geo Block. Accessing via cloud no probs.

Last edited by eb23; 11-01-2019 at 04:28 PM..

Old 11-01-2019, 05:29 PM

Just thinking out loud. I could rent something very budget friendly that seems to be in vicinity of $2000-3000 per month or maybe, just buy outright something like the below that will bring the monthly payment to $1500 with an added benefit of being able to drive a nail into the wall without a risk of being kicked off by the land lord?

In the parallel -- look for a more permanent residence? Minus is that a substantial chunk of my capital will be tied into that property that will limit my borrowing capacity...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7.../4909607_zpid/

Old 11-02-2019, 07:17 AM

1,201 posts, read 617,736 times
Outside of Glenview and Highland Park, you won't find many houses built after 2000 in the area. Most of the housing is older. There is no reason to think it won't be in good repair. We don't get termites.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb23 View Post
Just thinking out loud. I could rent something very budget friendly that seems to be in vicinity of $2000-3000 per month or maybe, just buy outright something like the below that will bring the monthly payment to $1500 with an added benefit of being able to drive a nail into the wall without a risk of being kicked off by the land lord?

In the parallel -- look for a more permanent residence? Minus is that a substantial chunk of my capital will be tied into that property that will limit my borrowing capacity...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7.../4909607_zpid/
Factor in the moving costs, transfer taxes, and brokerage fees (typically 5-6% in the northern suburbs) associated with moving house when looking at short term ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs