Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:08 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times

Advertisements

Let me prefice my comments by stating I have not lived or worked in Chicago for a long time. Chicago has always been a vibrant and a progressive city. Over the years some things change liittle, others have changed dramatically. while still others drifted into planned obsolescence from which recovery is difficult or impossible.

When I lived in Chicago, Skokie and Park Ridge were both upper middle class white/jewish communities. Schools were good, mothers stayed at home and there was little crime. Now I will suggest some things.

Housing is in a slump. You need a real estate broker who knows Chicago. I suggest Paul Wessel of ERA. If he cannot help, chances are he knows someone who can as he's been in RE about 50 years.

Do not buy any house that has been empty for a number of months. Chances are it has mold issues. Mold is the #2 (we don't talk about it) killer in Illinois. My environment guy says you can't avoid it when you are outside - anywhere in the world, but you can have a mold free home.

Do *not* buy any house unless you are willing to pay for a home inspection and mold tests. A Radon inspection isn't a bad idea either as it comes from the ground, too.

Do not buy any house sight unseen. Hie thee bootie to Chicago. A really nice broker might even pick you up at the airport. But. Don't count on it.

Depending upon the area, taxes are going to run anywhere from 3k-10k or maybe higher. The good news is groceries are still only 1 percent at the grpcery stores and you can find quality medical care.

Illinois Homeland security is one of the best in the nation. It isn't a bad deal considering three of our four borders are water and a main shipping channel runs through the state.

Chicago schools range from ghetto to pricey private schools. You get what you pay for. Caveat Emptor.

Depending upon your skills, If you can't find a home in Chicago, but you liike Illinois, there are other Cities in the state that might meet your needs as well.

You have much to consider,

Good Luck!
PS: Maybe some of the Chicago residents will comment, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 03:06 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Is it possible for you to relocate to IL from PA? It all depends on how PA votes in the primary tommorrow! (wink, wink )

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromPA View Post
Hi, Everyone!

Interviewing for a job near Skokie. We've been looking at a few home prices around the area. We have two kids, and want the same things everyone else wants- low crime, good schools, and affordable housing.

Is it even possible to find a house in a decent neighborhood under $250,000 in Illinois, without a long commute to work? I'm not finding much. Getting so discouraged!

Also, what can we expect (ballpark- I know much depends on the location and house itself so no one can say exactly) to pay in property taxes on say... a $300,000 house?

We are currently in PA. Thanks for any help or advice you can give!

Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM

5 posts, read 12,090 times
I definitely can see that there are limited choices. I think a good option for us is to rent in Skokie or Lincolnwood, and see where we are in a year or two, and it will give us a chance to get to know the area better. I guess we'll have to bite the bullet and increase the amount we had hoped to spend. I don't think we can bank on prices dropping much- the rest of the country is starting to decline in price (not nearly enough yet) but Chicago seems to be holding steady. Going to research rentals now!

Thanks again to everyone for the input. Very helpful!

Old 04-21-2008, 04:40 PM

249 posts, read 685,163 times
Niles, right next door to Skokie, has ranches listed as low as 250, and 57 homes at 350K or lower (many of which could slide to selling prices below 300 these days). The lowest of these probably do require some work, but in this market there are some homes at prices we haven't seen in a while. Take Elmwood Park, a community that I keep an eye on for nostalgic reasons. 2315 N 75TH CT ELMWOOD PARK, IL - Chicagoland Homes for Sale -- A 4-bedroom that's 2 blocks from the Metra station for 181K. Unless it's in teardown condition, wow.

Last edited by Johnny Northside; 04-21-2008 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs