Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2019, 02:19 PM
 
3 posts, read 6,914 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi, I'm trying to find out what is going on in the South Suburbs when it comes to the violence this year. I understand that the South Burbs have always had a decent chunk of violence, but I just read something from the Chicago Tribune, that Harvey has had 19 homicides so far this year, more than any other suburb in Cook County. Dolton and Cal City are probably not far behind. A lot of other South Burbs have seen an increase in shootings. Does anyone know the answer to why it seems as if we are having an increase and how many murders the South Suburbs/South Cook County communities have had this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2019, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Tri-Taylor
5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Reputation: 3994
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptonlo View Post
Hi, I'm trying to find out what is going on in the South Suburbs when it comes to the violence this year. I understand that the South Burbs have always had a decent chunk of violence, but I just read something from the Chicago Tribune, that Harvey has had 19 homicides so far this year, more than any other suburb in Cook County. Dolton and Cal City are probably not far behind. A lot of other South Burbs have seen an increase in shootings. Does anyone know the answer to why it seems as if we are having an increase and how many murders the South Suburbs/South Cook County communities have had this year?
People who are fleeing Chicago's quickly depopulating violent neighborhoods (North Lawndale, Garfield Park, Austin, Englewood, Roseland, et al) are moving to those suburbs and the same problems are following them? That'd be a good guess. I've no scientific research on this but that makes logical sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2019, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Southwest Suburbs
4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Reputation: 3293
This article:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...dka-story.html


I notice in the title itself, it says "Harvey is enduring deadliest year in recent history", meaning there was at least one other year when the homicide count equaled, if not exceeded this year.. According to FBI statistics, last time Harvey had 19 homicides minimum in a single year was in 1994, but it's only an 8 months report(not the full 12), so who knows the exact number at the end of that year. Also, the remaining years of the 1990s are unaccounted for, so that is something else to consider. What you can take from looking at the statistics in the last three decades is that the community has been rough for a very long time. This year, however, is different, because it's not only Harvey as the sole contributor in the uptick of violence in the south burbs, but adjacent Dolton has also experienced an unfortunate spike in homicides and shooting as well. At this point, I don't think it can be blamed on former or current Chicago residents, at least not solely, because the root of the issue is multi-generational. When it comes to Harvey in particular, the uptick of crime seem to have started ever since the lay off of police officers and firefighters towards the fall of last year.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 11-30-2019 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2019, 02:43 AM
 
3 posts, read 6,914 times
Reputation: 10
Do you have a link to where you got those stats from in the FBI I'm just curious? I have trouble navigating FBI sites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2019, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Southwest Suburbs
4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Reputation: 3293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptonlo View Post
Do you have a link to where you got those stats from in the FBI I'm just curious? I have trouble navigating FBI sites
https://www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/C...risbyJuris.cfm

Right under the state of your choosing, click 'Next'. From there, choose a city department(Harvey should have already been highlighted) you want to view and highlight the four crime statistics on the right using your mouse and then click 'Get Table'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2019, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Chatham, Chicago
796 posts, read 930,125 times
Reputation: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
People who are fleeing Chicago's quickly depopulating violent neighborhoods (North Lawndale, Garfield Park, Austin, Englewood, Roseland, et al) are moving to those suburbs and the same problems are following them? That'd be a good guess. I've no scientific research on this but that makes logical sense.
this has always been my suspicion as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2019, 02:45 PM
 
3,452 posts, read 4,616,828 times
Reputation: 4985
Lot of the issues stem from outside influence. Nothing new as Chicago has always been influenced by immigrant populations. Something the media won't bother mentioning on a national level. They'd rather keep pushing the black on black crime narrative.

mexican-drug-lord-el-mencho-supplies-nearly-90-of-the-illegal-drugs-in-chicago

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/09...gs-in-chicago/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2019, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Southwest Suburbs
4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Reputation: 3293
Harvey confirmed it's 20th homicide this past weekend.

As for other south suburban communities, Dolton, 8; Calumet City, 7; and Riverdale, 4- a total of 39 homicides for the four..

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 12-10-2019 at 12:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2019, 11:14 PM
 
2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Reputation: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptonlo View Post
Hi, I'm trying to find out what is going on in the South Suburbs when it comes to the violence this year. I understand that the South Burbs have always had a decent chunk of violence, but I just read something from the Chicago Tribune, that Harvey has had 19 homicides so far this year, more than any other suburb in Cook County. Dolton and Cal City are probably not far behind. A lot of other South Burbs have seen an increase in shootings. Does anyone know the answer to why it seems as if we are having an increase and how many murders the South Suburbs/South Cook County communities have had this year?
It will probably continue as Chicago's violence continues to go down. I can easily see Chicago ending a year with fewer than 400 homicides in the next few years. Below 400 hasn't been seen since 1966 in Chicago. As the central city gets safer, I think crime will concentrate even further into poor majority-minority satellite cities like Gary and Harvey. Look at the NYC area. The city has a low homicide rate of about 3-4 per 100,000, and the New Jersey cities of Newark and Patterson are notoriously dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2019, 09:04 AM
 
629 posts, read 542,988 times
Reputation: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
It will probably continue as Chicago's violence continues to go down. I can easily see Chicago ending a year with fewer than 400 homicides in the next few years. Below 400 hasn't been seen since 1966 in Chicago. As the central city gets safer, I think crime will concentrate even further into poor majority-minority satellite cities like Gary and Harvey. Look at the NYC area. The city has a low homicide rate of about 3-4 per 100,000, and the New Jersey cities of Newark and Patterson are notoriously dangerous.
Chicago also had 3.5 million people or 20% more people back then (in 1966)
only reason crime numbers are down though is because the prior two years were absolutely ridiculous in terms of number of murders and population loss
the catch and release morons that run the justice system in town won't do squat to curb gun violence on the south and west sides so being bullish that crime will continue to decline further is an interesting take
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top