Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 866 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job yesterday (3/17) and have a start date of 4/6 for a job in Deerfield! I’ll be relocating from Cleveland. I’m trying to get an idea of the best places to look for an apartment. I’m 24, single, and my budget is in the range of $1,200-$1,500.

My biggest concern is commute. Is it possible to live in Lakeview/Lincoln Park/similar with this commute? Is it better to drive or take public transport? Should I consider areas like Evanston? I’ve looked at Google estimates and everything seems to be in the 30-50 min range.

I’m completely unfamiliar with the area, so any suggestions will help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 10:39 AM

5,000 posts, read 3,853,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2155-2155 View Post
I just accepted a job yesterday (3/17) and have a start date of 4/6 for a job in Deerfield! I’ll be relocating from Cleveland. I’m trying to get an idea of the best places to look for an apartment. I’m 24, single, and my budget is in the range of $1,200-$1,500.

My biggest concern is commute. Is it possible to live in Lakeview/Lincoln Park/similar with this commute? Is it better to drive or take public transport? Should I consider areas like Evanston? I’ve looked at Google estimates and everything seems to be in the 30-50 min range.

I’m completely unfamiliar with the area, so any suggestions will help!
Yes it's entirely possible to live in the city and do the reverse commute. Budget will be fine, you can probabaly get a 2BR if you plan to get a lot of visitors from Cleveland or want an office. Chicago has the housing stock to fit every budget.

If I were you, I'd look at places directly off of 90. Hug the interstate to avoid having to battle east/west traffic on Armitage/Fullerton/Diversey etc. The western reaches of Lincoln Park, Lakeview/"Bricktown", or the eastern reaches of Logan Square, or Bucktown are good choices.

So many to choose from, but to give you an idea of proximity to the highway:
Bucktown: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...80862669_zpid/
Logan Square: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...81496612_zpid/
Lincoln Park: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...94012295_zpid/
Avdondale: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...80871150_zpid/

Assume 50 minutes during normal commuting times for the sake of this discussion. I'd expect that it'll be a bit less, as things tend to move once you get past the 90/94 split.

Last edited by mwj119; 03-19-2020 at 10:48 AM..

Old 03-19-2020, 12:57 PM

529 posts, read 639,582 times
Agree with the above. Public transit from the city to Deerfield probably won't work unless your office is near the Metra station or has some sort of shuttle.

Also, don't look at commute times right now as everyone is working from home for the time being so the traffic levels right now are as low as they will EVER be.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:53 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,722,674 times
I'd MUCH rather live in nearby Vernon Hills and such instead of some mega commute that's for sure. Forget the City stick to areas around Deerfield, you'll be a lot better off in general

Old 03-20-2020, 09:34 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,151,175 times
I think as someone who is 24 and single, it's worth it to make the commute from the city. You will probably be bored in the suburbs.

As a couple others suggested, try to be closer to the highway, either in the western part of Lakeview or Lincoln Park or be in Wicker Park/Bucktown/Logan Square.

Someone else posted a link to an apartment at 615 W. Armitage. IMO, that's an address that's too far east to make the commute tolerable, as an example.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:58 PM

5,000 posts, read 3,853,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I'd MUCH rather live in nearby Vernon Hills and such instead of some mega commute that's for sure. Forget the City stick to areas around Deerfield, you'll be a lot better off in general
At 24 years old, and new to the area, you'd rather live in Vernon Hills than live in the city?

I think you're in the minority there. If anything, I'd soften the commute blow and live in Evanston. But Vernon Hills? Jeez.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:05 PM

180 posts, read 632,388 times
I used to work in Deerfield and live in the city. Still live in the city now work in the city too.

I’d strongly advise taking the Metra (commuter rail) if at all possible. Driving to Deerfield from Chicago and back everyday is incredibly painful (I tried twice & did not like the result) and completely wasted time. When I took the metra I’d just pop open my laptop and get work done on the way to and home from work. Was actually the most productive part of my day.

Some ideas on that:

- Your employer if it’s large probably has a shuttle bus to and from the closest metra station (so you just have to get to the station in Chicago). Mine did not but I solved that by just biking between the stations and work (metra let’s you take bikes on the train). There are also suburban busses you could look in for the last leg.

- Most likely the metra Line you need is Milwaukee District North but you might be able to swing Union Pacific North depending on where your job

- Either way, Lincoln Park isn’t going to work (maybe for UP North you can get close) but... there is a lot more to Chicago than Lincoln Park. I think new comers just end up there because they’ve heard of it. Plenty of great neighborhoods close to UP North and Milwaukee District north. If it’s Milwaukee District North and I were 24 I’d live close to the Healy stop (near Logan Square which is one of the best neighborhoods for 20 somethings. Though also good choices near the Western Ave stop and of course Union Station (downtown so rent may be high). If UP North line plenty of good options bear Clybourn, Ravenswood, and Rogers Park stop depending on what suits your fancy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs