Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2019, 08:11 AM

15 posts, read 16,283 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping to get some current information on Brookfield. My wife and I and our 5 month old daughter are looking to move from our condo in the city to the western suburbs. Based on our research, we're targeting Brookfield.

We're looking at homes in the Hollywood section of Brookfield, as it seems to be one of the more desirable areas due to the proximity to both Hollywood Elementary and RBHS. The proximity to the Metra is also ideal. Other reasons Brookfield is appealing are: the quality of schools, lower home prices than surrounding suburbs, accessibility to downtown LaGrange, and accessibility to the city. If there's anything else we're missing, we'd love to hear about it.

I've read past posts (2+ years ago) from others about Brookfield but I was hoping to get one that's more reflective of the current state. We're looking for more information on the community, schools, economic development, etc...

We've driven through the downtown and 8 corners area and we'd describe them as quaint. It seems like there are plenty of opportunities to develop both areas to attract more businesses and make them more modern. Any input on the development of either or both of these areas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 09:36 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
What specific trends are you concerned with?

Old 12-27-2019, 09:43 AM

We don't have any specific concerns at the moment. We're just hoping to gain perspective from current residents on some of the topics I mentioned. We don't know anyone that lives in Brookfield so the more information we can gather prior to making a decision the better.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:14 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL2809 View Post
We don't have any specific concerns at the moment. We're just hoping to gain perspective from current residents on some of the topics I mentioned. We don't know anyone that lives in Brookfield so the more information we can gather prior to making a decision the better.
All right. Two years is a pretty short time which was why I asked. Anyway, ACS puts out census data I think that's up to 2018, I believe. Also, if you search Illinois School Report Card you can find the current demographics of the schools and how much they've changed over time.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
All right. Two years is a pretty short time which was why I asked. Anyway, ACS puts out census data I think that's up to 2018, I believe. Also, if you search Illinois School Report Card you can find the current demographics of the schools and how much they've changed over time.
We appreciate the information!

Old 12-27-2019, 01:13 PM

529 posts, read 647,549 times
Brookfield has good diversity of housing stock. There's Victorian late 19th century homes, a good number of bungalows from the 20s, post war 40s and 50s homes, split-level late 20th century and new or gut rehab homes. Plenty of affordable houses at around 200k as well as 500+k houses available. There's a good mix of blue collar and white collar population here because of that.

3 Metra stations is a plus. Congress park is a rush-hour only station but most trains arriving and departing run express to Union Station. Brookfield Station has the most frequent service, but most rush hour trains make stops at most stations on the way to Chicago.

The elementary and middle school in the south east section that feed into Lyons-Brookfield district 103 (South of the tracks and east of Maple [excluding the Hollywood section of town] does not grade out well and has had some disagreements and power struggles in the school board, leading to a revolving door of administrators.

The rest of the elementary school districts are pretty good, Hollywood in D96, Lagrange D95 and LaGrange 102.

The south side of town feeds into Lyons Township and the north feeds to Riverside Brookfield. Both schools are well regarded with LT probably ranked better.

There are plenty of private school options in the area too.

The downtown district has a few nice food and drink establishments and LaGrange is very close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs