Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 11:14 AM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey123 View Post
mwj119:

That is IMMENSELY helpful!! It sounds like the Chicago northern suburbs are all wealthier communities than the ones I lived in in/near Boston! I lived in Brighton (post-college) and then the south/west suburbs (Norwood, Walpole, Waltham, Arlington).

My favorite communities in greater Boston are Salem, Brookline, parts of Somerville/Cambridge/Arlington. I also loved Norwood (I lived there the longest) and Waltham (although I was in Waltham 15 years ago--it may not be the same). I like established towns with real downtowns, some history, some culture, some business, perhaps more working/middle class, awesome if it has a college, a mix of old timers and newer folks.

This was mostly pre-kids, though, so I have no idea what those school districts are like. And schools (middle/high school) are much bigger considerations now. Although if the community is affordable enough (clearly not the northern Chicago suburbs!), private or alternative schools are also a possibility.

Sounds like maybe the northern suburbs aren't a good fit for our family...
Well, Waltham's floor is now more expensive than Evanston's, while Evanston looks and feels more like Brookline. Waltham's cheapest SFH home is >$500, and it's like 900 sqft. That shows you the disparity in prices, as Brookline's cheapest mapped SFH is $1.69M. So, Evanston could be a strong fit to the North, but SFH at $400k in a good location only come around once and a while. Condo?

I think Park Ridge could be a really, really good fit. In taking into consideration general location of work, and inner ring proximity, I'd say that outside of Evanston and with a $400k budget, there is no nicer/better/more established town in the North suburbs. Great downtown, very walkable, very active, attractive older housing stock, good schools. I'd recommend limiting your search from Touhy south to Devon, or Touhy east of Greenwood up to Oakton. Those two pockets, in particular, are very established, and give you walkability to downtown/the train.

Something like this: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9-83897#photo0
Or this: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1-17401#photo3

I think Glenview/Northbrook could still be a legitimate contender, but much of those towns are 70s sub developments as you move away from the core. People often talk about Northbrook's prevalence of Brady Bunch housing.. And it's a fair criticism. More of a draw in/around downtown, the Glen, Golf, and East Glenview than Northbrook, IMO, though it's been disputed by other posters. In Glenview, stay East of Greenwood, no further than The Glen Club to the North. That area maintains good walkability, and certain neighborhoods with very attractive and older housing stock (especially immediately surrounding Glenview Road).

If you have the ability to expand based on location of job, then Oak Park, Elmhurst, La Grange would be next in line. Maybe Arlington Heights too.

Last edited by mwj119; 01-03-2020 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 909 times
Have you considered Crystal Lake? We landed here three years ago after moving from Upstate NY and have really loved it. We consider ourselves lucky to have found this suburb- the schools are great but not insanely high pressure, which we didn’t want either. And the families we’ve met are fantastic- made all the difference In the world. Happy to connect to assist you!

Old 01-03-2020, 04:23 PM

44 posts, read 47,786 times
mwj119 & others -- You guys are awesome! So helpful!! The job would require residency in one of several specific communities north of Chicago, none of which actually seem to have what I'm looking for in a community. Good to know. I'll keep my eye on the areas that mwj119 mentioned in Glenview and Northbrook, but maybe this job is not the best fit.

Do the western or southern suburbs have more of what I'm looking for?

Old 01-08-2020, 08:16 AM

207 posts, read 213,609 times
We're in District 96 (Long Grove) and absolutely love it but I'm not sure if you're going to find a SFH on a $400k budget. I also don't know how many pre-1940's houses you'll find here. Probably not much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Wait until you find out where the job will actually be. All of those suburbs have good schools, so live close to his job.
Agree completely.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:22 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive03 View Post
We're in District 96 (Long Grove) and absolutely love it but I'm not sure if you're going to find a SFH on a $400k budget.
You can definitely find something over there for under $400k, and it'll be nicer than what you get closer to the city or the lake. The problem will be your taxes over there, which can easily eclipse your mortgage payment.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You can definitely find something over there for under $400k, and it'll be nicer than what you get closer to the city or the lake. The problem will be your taxes over there, which can easily eclipse your mortgage payment.
I just did a search on SFHs in Long Grove with a budget of 400k. The only thing that popped up was one foreclosure: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../4876239_zpid/

Old 01-08-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I just did a search on SFHs in Long Grove with a budget of 400k. The only thing that popped up was one foreclosure: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../4876239_zpid/
That's a pre-foreclosure.

21931 N Andover Rd
Kildeer, IL 60047

7 Abbotsford Dr
Lincolnshire, IL 60069

It'll take some looking, but you can find something sub-$400k in Long Grove and adjacent areas for under $400k. It's still the slow season, but come springtime and summertime, there'll be at least a few SF properties sub-$400k.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
That's a pre-foreclosure.

21931 N Andover Rd
Kildeer, IL 60047

7 Abbotsford Dr
Lincolnshire, IL 60069

It'll take some looking, but you can find something sub-$400k in Long Grove and adjacent areas for under $400k. It's still the slow season, but come springtime and summertime, there'll be at least a few SF properties sub-$400k.
You can definitely fine something under $400k in adjacent suburbs. I was referring to LG specifically.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:37 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
We're in District 96 (Long Grove) and absolutely love it but I'm not sure if you're going to find a SFH on a $400k budget. I also don't know how many pre-1940's houses you'll find here. Probably not much.
OP: "I'm looking for walkable/bike-able small town/small city with mixed housing/parks/restaurants, rather than suburban sprawl"

Not sure why we're suggesting Long Grove if this is the OP's preference.

In the event that their criteria changes, you can find homes in LG for ~$400k. Homes stay on market for a long time in LG and surrounding towns.. Most certainly a buyers market.

These will all end up right around $400:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-12230?view=qv
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-04721?view=qv
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-65597?view=qv

Last edited by mwj119; 01-08-2020 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-08-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
OP: "I'm looking for walkable/bike-able small town/small city with mixed housing/parks/restaurants, rather than suburban sprawl"

Not sure why we're suggesting Long Grove if this is the OP's preference.

In the event that their criteria changes, you can find homes in LG for ~$400k. Homes stay on market for a long time in LG and surrounding towns.. Most certainly a buyers market.

These will all end up right around $400:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-12230?view=qv
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-04721?view=qv
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-65597?view=qv
Completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs