Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2020, 04:42 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusining View Post
Thanks, mwj119. This is so comprehensive! Very helpful. To answer your question, I don't think that we would like Newton type of town. We prefer a little remote, but not deep in the woods. We are used to get in the car to go anywhere, so walkable is nice, but not necessary. It's interesting that my friends also told me to look into Hinsdale and Golf today. Looks like they are truly my type of town in terms of setting. I will definitely check out other options you pointed out.

I'm wondering if you could shed some lights on culture. We lived in Westchester for a few years. The town and neighborhood are nice. But there are more snobby people than Boston Suburb. You could still find your people, but it's obvious that you could easily step in an event and feel you don't belong. How does Hinsdale/Golf feel culture wise? Both my husband and I are professionals and Asian immigrants. Is west suburb more culturally diversified than north suburb?
Hinsdale will be predominantly square lots laid out in a grid pattern. Traditional Midwest suburb layout, but with beautiful homes both old and new. Golf/East Glenview/Northfield is just the opposite.. Far more like those 95 towns in Massachusetts. Windier roads, bigger lots, picket fences, rocks lining the street, etc.

For you, it sounds like the latter would make the most sense. I personally think you'll find Golf/East Glenview to be a near perfect match. Swainwood in Glenview is another great option, as you can walk out of your door and on to the 30 minute express train. The lots are generally bigger, windier roads, anf homes and neighborhood pristine.

Without looking at the census or demographic data, I'd guess that ~20% of the Glenview District is Asian. Definitely a sizable population. If you go to The Glen, or the Children's Museum, or the Library, you will see a lot of folks of Asian descent. In the western reaches of town, there are Asian grocery stores/restaurants all over the place, too. As for the general vibe, it's an active, family friendly area for sure.. Kids playing in their yards, town run parades, borderline unbelievable park district (the park/rec center in The Glen is massive and is a heavily utilized destination for families, and it abuts Glen Lake where you can fish, bike, run, walk). The downtown area of Glenview has a few restaurants and places to grab coffee or drinks, but The Glen is where a lot of the commercial activity and conveniences lay.

Some homes in the areas of Glenview/Golf I'd consider based on your criteria:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-82819?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-92422?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-30984?view=qv
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 06:06 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Is it me, or does the ‘black and white’ (flipped) house feel like it had the soul sucked right out of it(?)

Old 02-17-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Is it me, or does the ‘black and white’ (flipped) house feel like it had the soul sucked right out of it(?)

Yup, not a big fan.

Looks like a flip of a traditional colonial.. Decent price point for the neighborhood, but to your point, not a lot to love about it.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Keep in mind that Golf is a tiny enclave with maybe 500 residents. It blends into the really nice part of east Glenview nearby. You are more likely to find something for sale in Glenview since probably half of Golf is technically a single golf course

There are more asian professionals living near Golf in Glenview/Morton Grove than Hinsdale, if that matters. Hinsdale is 90% white. Culturally, I would wager you could find ‘your people’ across a wide swath of Chicagoland though.

I hope you realize how silly it sounds for a ‘professional’ to comment on how Westchester county is snobbier than in the Boston suburbs.
By the way, OP, everything in the post- I mean everything- is dead on.

No reason to specifically look in Golf, as it's a tiny little neighborhood that functions as part of East Glenview. Ditto Northfield, which operates almost as an unincorporated part of Winnetka.

And I don't think you'll find anywhere here outwardly snobby- Those people exist everywhere. There is a culture of materialism that exists in small pockets, but that's going to be the case in any affluent area. You would feel very comfortable in a place like Glenview.. People are very neighborly.

EDIT: I should add, I have a bias for Glenview as compared to it's neighbors to the north - Northbrook and Deerfield. I like the location of Glenview, and always it always felt a touch homier. Some others prefer Northbrook to Glenview, or Deerfield to Northbrook, etc. So, while I think Glenview/Golf/Northfield are great fits, I would not completely disregard Northbrook or Deerfield. Both check the boxes in your success criteria. The demographics in the three are very similar- Deerfield and Northbrook have a larger Jewish population, and maybe a bit less socioeconomic diversity.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:35 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,436 times
Please remember the biggest Asian group in Glenview is Korean, by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs