Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 07:55 PM

7 posts, read 5,155 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Hinsdale area. I want my kid to have more opportunities in education that the school has to offer. So we moved here but I’m a bit frightened by what I have seen.

My concerns are regarding drug usage and promiscuity. I have the unfortunate experience of knowing people in western springs that swap partners with each other and in front of their children. Disturbing as that may be to me, they seem to think it is normal. Drugs and alcohol are also “normal” as long as they function with it. I have even heard Western Springs referred to Whispering Springs because all the bored housewives/moms sleep with each other’s husbands/dads.

So my question for this forum is how prevalent is this thinking in this area? Are the kids learning this thinking from their parents and practicing promiscuity and using drugs and think it is normal?

Old 02-19-2020, 08:27 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
It’s the company you keep, apparently. In front of the kids? Yuck.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:10 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
First thought in my mind was, "I wonder if there are any houses I could afford in Western Springs?"

JFangel, I hate to accuse anyone of having a wild imagination without knowing for sure, but on the first post? Please. I knew at least one person in Western Springs for years, and if this were anywhere near prevalent, she would have told me. Isolated incident? Sure, anything's possible. But W.S. being a modern Peyton Place? How is it that you came to know all these people, anyway?

Old 02-19-2020, 10:14 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFangel View Post
I recently moved to Hinsdale area. I want my kid to have more opportunities in education that the school has to offer. So we moved here but I’m a bit frightened by what I have seen.

My concerns are regarding drug usage and promiscuity. I have the unfortunate experience of knowing people in western springs that swap partners with each other and in front of their children. Disturbing as that may be to me, they seem to think it is normal. Drugs and alcohol are also “normal” as long as they function with it. I have even heard Western Springs referred to Whispering Springs because all the bored housewives/moms sleep with each other’s husbands/dads.

So my question for this forum is how prevalent is this thinking in this area? Are the kids learning this thinking from their parents and practicing promiscuity and using drugs and think it is normal?
I met someone that teaches at LTHS a few years back. I heard similar things from them. I'm not from that area and thus can't confirm it myself, but it's strange that I'm hearing this now for a second time.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:26 AM

247 posts, read 236,503 times
I went to HC in the late 90s, and drugs were commonplace. I think the more affluent areas tend to have worse problems because of teens having access to money. Most of us steered clear of that scene, but it was there for anyone who wanted to partake.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
First thought in my mind was, "I wonder if there are any houses I could afford in Western Springs?"

JFangel, I hate to accuse anyone of having a wild imagination without knowing for sure, but on the first post? Please. I knew at least one person in Western Springs for years, and if this were anywhere near prevalent, she would have told me. Isolated incident? Sure, anything's possible. But W.S. being a modern Peyton Place? How is it that you came to know all these people, anyway?
There are definitely houses in western springs at the 250k mark but taxes are heavy. Hinsdale is a different story.

Well, I appreciate your skepticism but I’m not going close to identifying any of them. I know them well. I’m concerned for their children and I just want to know how common this is in the area.

I did a google search for “are drugs a problem in Hinsdale?” And a post from here in 2012 came up. So instead of replying g to an 8 year old post, I signed up and made my own post.

I just hope you can understand my concern about it.

Last edited by JFangel; 02-20-2020 at 07:04 AM..

Old 02-20-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I met someone that teaches at LTHS a few years back. I heard similar things from them. I'm not from that area and thus can't confirm it myself, but it's strange that I'm hearing this now for a second time.
Well that means it’s at least a thing for some groups of people in the area because the people I know have elementary aged children. 8 adults, 9 kids.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:43 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFangel View Post
There are definitely houses in western springs at the 250k mark but taxes are heavy. Hinsdale is a different story.

Well, I appreciate your skepticism but I’m not going close to identifying any of them. I know them well. I’m concerned for their children and I just want to know how common this is in the area.

I did a google search for “are drugs a problem in Hinsdale?” And a post from here in 2012 came up. So instead of replying g to an 8 year old post, I signed up and made my own post.

I just hope you can understand my concern about it.
What I don’t understand is, how anyone could use the arguably ‘end of the bell curve’ example (from your particular associates/friend group) as any sort of norm. This type of behavior (at least the swapping partners in front of the kids part) is the exception, not the rule.

As far as the drugs part, where have you previously resided that this wasn’t ever a conversation? They unfortunately affect all strata of society. We do what we can to keep our families safe, without pointing a finger at any particular community or level of wealth as the main contributor.

My gut feeling is you simply are encountering a bad crowd, unintentionally.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:24 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
What I don’t understand is, how anyone could use the arguably ‘end of the bell curve’ example (from your particular associates/friend group) as any sort of norm. This type of behavior (at least the swapping partners in front of the kids part) is the exception, not the rule.

As far as the drugs part, where have you previously resided that this wasn’t ever a conversation? They unfortunately affect all strata of society. We do what we can to keep our families safe, without pointing a finger at any particular community or level of wealth as the main contributor.

Yes, at least from the drugs standpoint, it seems like that element exists in a lot of towns, but not everyone's doing it. Naperville has a reputation for kids being involved in drugs, but I haven't seen an element in my few years in town oof anything except for decent, normal people trying to raise their kids properly.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post

This post is asking about prevalence. It is not declaring anything. I don’t think anyone is saying it’s related to wealth or even declaring it to be a particular problem for the area. But it is worth exploring just how prevalent it is because it definitely exists in the area. Being dismissive of a valid question doesn’t serve anyone’s interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs