Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 02:07 AM

54 posts, read 99,417 times

Advertisements

I live in Lincolnwood, which is in Cook County. The public libraries in Lincolnwood and other Cook County municipalities have been closed for a while due to Covid-19, and who knows how much longer they will be closed?

These public libraries are funded, to a significant extent, by property taxes. So, do the extended closures of these libraries mean that Cook County property taxes will be reduced? Should we be paying for libraries that we can not use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 02:42 AM

606 posts, read 414,972 times
I live in Seattle and got an email from the library system asking for donations. If the shutdown goes longer they won't be able to be maintained. With usage of Kindle and readers people have less reason to check out books even in good times. Also people use the computers too.

I don't go to the library often anymore but it would be very sad to see them close for good.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:01 AM

148 posts, read 119,858 times
Nope. Instead they will likely soar and sap even more equity out of peoples homes

Old 04-25-2020, 07:26 AM

118 posts, read 106,184 times
Checkout your access to ebooks , magazines and newspapers..
You may be able to get a digital card even now and get access.

Oh and those resources must be supported by librarians and library staff, so they’re probably working remotely. Libraries are germy community spaces. Read an ebook and appreciate the work that went into getting it to you. Keep libraries closed till they aren’t Petri dishes of disease. Librarians still need to disinfect any book returns and implement public health policies to keep the library a healthy space.

We love our communities and want to get back as soon as we safely can.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:55 AM

4,497 posts, read 4,994,096 times
Libraries closed due to Covid-19 - Will property taxes be reduced?

Sure, just like they do when the value of your house goes down !

Old 04-25-2020, 12:50 PM

77 posts, read 41,454 times
I wish. And imagine if property taxes went down because the schools are closed...lol.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:54 PM

77 posts, read 41,454 times
My guess is they’ll tack on a huge “coronavirus tax” to the property tax bills.

Are we still paying a TB (tuberculosis) sanitarium tax?

Old 04-25-2020, 01:52 PM

1,201 posts, read 609,926 times
The largest part of property tax comes from the schools not the library, etc.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:55 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,389,684 times
I have no doubt!

Old 04-27-2020, 05:02 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,389,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I live in Seattle and got an email from the library system asking for donations. If the shutdown goes longer they won't be able to be maintained. With usage of Kindle and readers people have less reason to check out books even in good times. Also people use the computers too.

I don't go to the library often anymore but it would be very sad to see them close for good.
Not to pick on Seattle too much today but isn't your median household income like $100k or something? What risk is there of your libraries actually closing for good? I'll guess not very high.

Now some communities in IL - places like Riverdale with a median household income of less than 1/3 that of Seattle - I could really see that happening. And these communities really need the library for various things, such as basic computer access. The State isn't going to be able to afford to bail them out and the Federal government is asking (rightly) why it should bail this State out. It's going to be a tough climb out for many people, and, as always, the most vulnerable will be hit the hardest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: