Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 04:56 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
When you close your mind its easy to “Not think of a single way that my quality of life will improve by moving to AZ”
First of all, that is not an accurate quote. Secondly, Illinois offers a better quality of life for me. Another poster seems to think that Arizona is the be-all-end-all and somehow objectively better than Illinois. That is far from the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 06:45 PM

148 posts, read 121,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
First of all, that is not an accurate quote. Secondly, Illinois offers a better quality of life for me.Another poster seems to think that Arizona is the be-all-end-all and somehow objectively better than Illinois. That is far from the truth.
Have you lived in other states?
If not then you do not genuinely know that. You are only assuming.
In the 6 states I’ve lived in Illinois is behind by far. With this pandemic really exposing how weak and unprepared some states are you have to have your head deep in the sand to not see it.
Living in denial only works until the pain of reality is unbearable.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:02 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,181,809 times
Quote:
In the 6 states I’ve lived in Illinois is behind by far. With this pandemic really exposing how weak and unprepared some states are you have to have your head deep in the sand to not see it.
You’re still here? Why?

Old 05-19-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
You’re still here? Why?
Because I’m in the process of moving?
Sorry to disappoint you but its impossible to move overnight with the Covid-19 Pandemic.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:40 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
Quote:
I've lived on four different continents. In US I've lived/own businesses in LA, Bay Area, Boston and Chicagoland. I've also stayed for nine to 20 weeks at a time in two dozen other locales for work in the US. I think Chicagoland offers by far the best value proposition. I think it's a world class city at affordable prices.

You, the gentleman from Lake Havasu, WJJ, are all retirees/soon to be retirees without school age kids (I assume). It is perfectly normal for you guys to care about and value different things in life than I do, or Hiruko, or Mykindoftown.

Why is it so hard for you guys to accept that? Is it really that difficult for you three to understand that we do see the drawbacks of living in Chicagoland and Illinois, yet we choose to live here because to us, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
I've lived on four different continents. In US I've lived/own businesses in LA, Bay Area, Boston and Chicagoland. I've also stayed for nine to 20 weeks at a time in two dozen other locales for work in the US. I think Chicagoland offers by far the best value proposition. I think it's a world class city at affordable prices.

You, the gentleman from Lake Havasu, WJJ, are all retirees/soon to be retirees without school age kids (I assume). It is perfectly normal for you guys to care about and value different things in life than I do, or Hiruko, or Mykindoftown.

Why is it so hard for you guys to accept that? Is it really that difficult for you three to understand that we do see the drawbacks of living in Chicagoland and Illinois, yet we choose to live here because to us, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks?
Its not hard to accept it. What’s hard is how people like you dismiss or deflect the very serious issues facing Chicagoland in attempt to sugarcoat the city. Minimizing the drawbacks doesn’t make them magically disappear.
The corrupt government needs enablers like you to stay in power. At this rate nothing will change.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:38 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,181,809 times
Quote:
Because I’m in the process of moving?
Sorry to disappoint you but its impossible to move overnight with the Covid-19 Pandemic.
Best of luck to you!

Old 05-19-2020, 10:11 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Not only have I lived in another state, but I have also lived in other countries. Illinois might not have the most efficient government or the cleanest politics. But, it does have so much to offer in so many other aspects.

Illinois is not one of those states caught 'unprepared.' Illinois has actually done a good job maintaining a lockdown to try to bend the curve. Illinois was unique in that it had actual infrastructure already in place to handle a pandemic. It has also had one of the most conservative approaches to reopening.

There is nothing 'unbearable' about Illinois.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post

100%

Old 05-19-2020, 10:25 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
[quote=Hiruko;58150646]
There is nothing 'unbearable' about Illinois.
/quote]

Since 2010 we've had 5 of the 10 all-time wettest years since records began, and working on a 6th.
Back in the 70's as a child I thought the weather couldn't get any worse.
Climate change has proven me wrong.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:19 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
Quote:
Its not hard to accept it. What’s hard is how people like you dismiss or deflect the very serious issues facing Chicagoland in attempt to sugarcoat the city. Minimizing the drawbacks doesn’t make them magically disappear.
The corrupt government needs enablers like you to stay in power. At this rate nothing will change.
Where did I dismiss it? Look back at my earlier comments in this thread and in "man Pritzker annoys me" thread, and you'll see that I'm doing anything but dismiss and deflect.

It's human to be able to hold two conflicting positions at the same time. That is what separates us from rest of the animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs