Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 04:57 AM

139 posts, read 76,605 times

Advertisements

Chicago, Illinois has been under Democratic control since Richard J. Daly was first elected Mayor back in 1955, 65 years ago. They have been slowly going downhill ever since. Today their bond rating is just north of junk bond status. The city workers and teachers have all but bankrupted that city with their unsustainable pensions.

The schools, roads, and infrastructure are all falling apart, with no money to fix any of it. And through it all they think they can just keep spending and raising property taxes to compensate. And they do this because the people are too stupid to realize that 65 years of Democrats have gotten them to where they are today. So they'll just keep voting for more.

It reminds me of the scene in the movie, "Animal House" with Kevin Bacon.... "Thank you sir, may I have another!" As Will Rogers once said.. "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we deserve.".... In the case of Chicago, you are. So quit your complaining and enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 05:59 AM

148 posts, read 122,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill460 View Post
Chicago, Illinois has been under Democratic control since Richard J. Daly was first elected Mayor back in 1955, 65 years ago. They have been slowly going downhill ever since. Today their bond rating is just north of junk bond status. The city workers and teachers have all but bankrupted that city with their unsustainable pensions.

The schools, roads, and infrastructure are all falling apart, with no money to fix any of it. And through it all they think they can just keep spending and raising property taxes to compensate. And they do this because the people are too stupid to realize that 65 years of Democrats have gotten them to where they are today. So they'll just keep voting for more.

It reminds me of the scene in the movie, "Animal House" with Kevin Bacon.... "Thank you sir, may I have another!" As Will Rogers once said.. "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we deserve.".... In the case of Chicago, you are. So quit your complaining and enjoy it.
Actually 1933.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:38 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
Just got my bill today. $823 increase. Lake County side of Buffalo Grove. Now paying $15K for a house that is at its 2003 value. And with this bill, the value will drop some more.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:05 PM

139 posts, read 76,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
...... Now paying $15K for a house that is at its 2003 value. And with this bill, the value will drop some more.
That is completely insane.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:14 AM

148 posts, read 122,035 times
Quote:
Just got my bill today. $823 increase. Lake County side of Buffalo Grove. Now paying $15K for a house that is at its 2003 value. And with this bill, the value will drop some more.
That’s why its time to leave Illinois. We are joining the exodus within the next year.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:57 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times
Quote:
Yeah, what's going on up in Lake County? I've been looking at homes up there, and my goodness. Property taxes are almost 4% of home prices? I'm used to 2.5-2.75%.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:04 AM
wjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
That’s why its time to leave Illinois. We are joining the exodus within the next year.

We have another home in Southwest Florida that we use year round. Commute back and forth. Nice place. 2500 sq/ft under air, 1200 additional sq/ft of enclosed outdoor living space (where we spend most of our time) that includes a pool and spa, 175 foot water frontage, 20 years newer than our BG house. Probably would be an upgrade in our daily living standard. We could switch our residency without too much additional effort, but when I ran all the numbers, it was pretty much a wash financially assuming we kept both houses. But now, though we can afford both houses, keeping the house up here seems to be just tossing money in the toilet for a place that has become a part time residence.

I tried to appeal the assessed value last year with no success (used a law firm). I will try again this year myself armed with an appraisal that shows the house is worth more than $50K less than what the appraiser thinks. If no success, then we will just sell it for whatever we can get, and move on. Both houses are owned free and clear. It served us well for 35 years so it will be sad. One of our kids is thinking the same thing. RE taxes on their BG house is now more than the mortgage payment.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:27 AM
wjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Yeah, what's going on up in Lake County? I've been looking at homes up there, and my goodness. Property taxes are almost 4% of home prices? I'm used to 2.5-2.75%.

In my case, about 73% of it is schools and their pension plans. District 96, Stevenson HS, and CLC. District 96 is the biggest culprit representing about 40% of the total followed by Stevenson at 30%. CLC is just 3%.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:29 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times
Quote:
In my case, about 73% of it is schools and their pension plans. District 96, Stevenson HS, and CLC. District 96 is the biggest culprit representing about 40% of the total followed by Stevenson at 30%. CLC is just 3%.
Dist 204 where I am also gets roughly 73%, but still my tax rate is 2.3%. Something is not right up there.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:06 AM
wjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Dist 204 where I am also gets roughly 73%, but still my tax rate is 2.3%. Something is not right up there.

There was a time when BG rates were around 2%. No longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs