U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 05:05 PM

12 posts, read 40,369 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your ideas and help! I was thrilled to find this site!! Do you think I can get a newer home in Barrington? I was looking on realtor.com and it seems like most homes are older. I love the OLD OLD houses but not the ones built in the 60's and 70's. What do you all think of Palatine??

Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 05:12 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,639,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irenegillespie View Post
Thank you everyone for your ideas and help! I was thrilled to find this site!! Do you think I can get a newer home in Barrington? I was looking on realtor.com and it seems like most homes are older. I love the OLD OLD houses but not the ones built in the 60's and 70's. What do you all think of Palatine??

Thank you!!
Most of Palatine is very nice. They have a cute downtown, nice restaruants,schools, and also that metra to the city. HOWEVER, that being said, there are areas of section 8 housing I would avoid -around rt 12 (which is also called Rand rd) rt 53. Maybe someone else knows the others. I would tell your realtor you want newer, let them help you. Thats there job

Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 PM

From what I have researched online, I really like Geneva. It is very comparable to where we live in PA. Do you think the commute to Hoffman Estates would be horrid? Hubby commutes an hour now and doesn't mind that -great if it could be closer - definitely doesn't want farther!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:33 PM

On another note, does anyone know if most school systems have full or half day Kindergarten?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:02 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,639,823 times
Mapquest your husbands office/work to Geneva, it wouldnt be fun to commute,think of winter. Its a very nice town as well. Have you visited yet? Only you will know which town is 'home' for you. I know Barrington has 1/2 day kind. My son went to Montessori and that had 1/2 day but also a full day option.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:14 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,312,728 times
The commute from Geneva to Hoffman during normal commute hours could be anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour depending on where in Geneva and Hoffman your start and end points are, the worst-case scenario being a commute from the far southwest corner of Geneva to the far northeast corner of Hoffman. Living on the east side of Geneva versus the west side would make a big difference because then you wouldn't have to fight all the traffic trying to cross the river. The main issue with such a commute is that it's all on surface streets with stoplights and all; there's no "limited-access" highway you can use to get from one to the other unless you go kind of out of your way to use one.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:55 PM

28,461 posts, read 78,248,267 times
I think Drover is dead-on about the surface streets being a huge negative, but I think the estimates are way way low on the commute time. I have traveled from Geneva to Wheaton many many times and I rarely do that much simpler trip in 35 minutes. Each light means you are stopped. You speed at the light is zero mph. If you get stuck at a light for two cycles or more that REALLY destroys your average speed...

Honestly in-town Barrington is very similar to in-town Geneva. Much nicer commute.

Driving down through north DuPage can be very very slow going...

Old 04-30-2008, 03:21 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,312,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think Drover is dead-on about the surface streets being a huge negative, but I think the estimates are way way low on the commute time....
Well, my estimates are based on my wife's former commute from the Geneva/St. Charles border on the west side of the river (we used to live up by the new Binny's where Frank's Nursery and Crafts used to be) to Schaumburg. Her commute was 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic, and her commute took her a ways beyond Hoffman; she actually got on I-90 in Hoffman to get to Schaumburg, and by that point she would be about 25 to 40 minutes into her commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs