Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 06:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,578 times

Advertisements

So yea, 27F (I know ignore the user ID), moving from TX. Will be working at Abbott. Would like to keep my commute to minimum while living in a fairly upscale suburb. Plan on renting an apartment(would love some pointers on which luxury apartment complexes to avoid). I don't want to drive more than 15-20min. So Evanston or any reverse commute from Chicago is out of the picture for me. I'd rather just go to chicago and live in a hotel on weekends than commute. I know Waukegan sucks because I did a couple of internships at Abbott.

Ideally would like something that has younger less family oriented population but I understand that can be a tough ask when it comes to suburbs.

I was thinking Deerfield/Libertyville/Vernon Hills.

I hate long commutes with a passion. I have lived in a city for like a decade now and the 1 hour commute that a lot of people dont mind is not something I am capable of .

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 04:06 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,475,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broocewayyne View Post
So yea, 27F (I know ignore the user ID), moving from TX. Will be working at Abbott. Would like to keep my commute to minimum while living in a fairly upscale suburb. Plan on renting an apartment(would love some pointers on which luxury apartment complexes to avoid). I don't want to drive more than 15-20min. So Evanston or any reverse commute from Chicago is out of the picture for me. I'd rather just go to chicago and live in a hotel on weekends than commute. I know Waukegan sucks because I did a couple of internships at Abbott.

Ideally would like something that has younger less family oriented population but I understand that can be a tough ask when it comes to suburbs.

I was thinking Deerfield/Libertyville/Vernon Hills.

I hate long commutes with a passion. I have lived in a city for like a decade now and the 1 hour commute that a lot of people dont mind is not something I am capable of .

Thank you!
I'm not sure what your budget is, but with Vernon Hills, you are on the right track. I would be taking a close look at The Atworth at Mellody Farms, a newer complex near Route 60 and Milwaukee Avenue. My perception is that the residents are primarily younger childless professionals with jobs in Lake County. It is very convenient to Whole Foods Market, Hawthorn Mall, and other shopping. You might also consider Kelmscott Park in Lake Forest, but Lake Forest will probably skew older. That being said, I'm here and I'm close to your age.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:36 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,804,740 times
Reverse commute might be feasible. Several Metra trains run from Chicago and Evanston to North Chicago. I believe there are luxury apartments near Abbott Park. Also some in Vernon Hills and even in Mundelein. Probably in Gurnee, I'm not sure.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,339,629 times
Abbott's main campus (Abbott Park) is not close to any metra stations though I think there is a shuttle from the Union pacific north station or something. However, that would be a fairly long commute. I'd find a place in Libertyville or Gurnee that would put you within 5-10 miles and be happy. In Libertyville there is a metra station and you could take the train in on evening or weekends for fun in the city.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I'm not sure what your budget is, but with Vernon Hills, you are on the right track. I would be taking a close look at The Atworth at Mellody Farms, a newer complex near Route 60 and Milwaukee Avenue. My perception is that the residents are primarily younger childless professionals with jobs in Lake County. It is very convenient to Whole Foods Market, Hawthorn Mall, and other shopping. You might also consider Kelmscott Park in Lake Forest, but Lake Forest will probably skew older. That being said, I'm here and I'm close to your age.

I dont have a budget per se. As long as I like where I am living, I can afford it. I was thinking of AMLI Deerfield,, ~30-35mins from Chicago. 15 or so minutes from work. How is deerfield?

I am looking at Atworth too. It's closer to work but ~10-15mins farther away from Chicago but I think its cheaper than AMLI so I guess I will take al look at it. I plan on flying to chicago, staying for a week to take a look at the apartments before I move. AMLI seems cheaper than Atworth from the preliminary pricing I got so I am leaning towards that, the number of restaurants delivering to AMLI seems higher too on door dash (LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Reverse commute might be feasible. Several Metra trains run from Chicago and Evanston to North Chicago. I believe there are luxury apartments near Abbott Park. Also some in Vernon Hills and even in Mundelein. Probably in Gurnee, I'm not sure.

I am not keen on a 30-40-50-60min+ commute. I have spent all of my adult life living in a city, short commutes are vital to me. I am looking at Vernon Hills, it seems to be the retail hub of the county with some decent offerings. Gurnee is not something I am keen on, I am trying to stay south of Abbott, I plan on spending a lot of my weekends in Chicago so I am trying to find a decent compromise w.r.t driving on weekends or even taking the Metra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Abbott's main campus (Abbott Park) is not close to any metra stations though I think there is a shuttle from the Union pacific north station or something. However, that would be a fairly long commute. I'd find a place in Libertyville or Gurnee that would put you within 5-10 miles and be happy. In Libertyville there is a metra station and you could take the train in on evening or weekends for fun in the city.
Yea, I am looking at Libertyville, Vernon Hills and Deerfield right now. Deerfield mainly because it puts me within 30 or so minutes from Chicago and 15mins from work. It's very close to Lake Cook Rd Metra which takes ~45mins or so to Union station!

Old 05-14-2020, 10:11 AM

3,205 posts, read 3,475,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broocewayyne View Post
I dont have a budget per se. As long as I like where I am living, I can afford it. I was thinking of AMLI Deerfield,, ~30-35mins from Chicago. 15 or so minutes from work. How is deerfield?
I can't imagine Deerfield having the same amount of young professionals. Deerfield also doesn't have as much shopping and dining as Vernon Hills. Out of all of your options, I really do think that Vernon Hills is your best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs