Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 10:50 PM

1,417 posts, read 725,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Kenosha, Aurora, Joliet, many south suburbs, Elgin, Waukegan, even Naperville. The rioting in the suburbs was definitely not exclusive to Aurora.
Yes, but do the other communities have a mayor with a criminal past and a history of abusing women? Did their mayor tell the police to stand down? Do they have a affirmative action police chief, who was pushed through the system because she was a woman, who hours before, was hugging and siding with the rioters? Did their mayor spend his sole time in the private sector representing the very criminals that plague the community? Do they have a mayor who repeatedly pressured the police to drop charges against his former clients?

The Aurora police cowered in an alley and watched a police vehicle be stolen, torched and jewelry stores and others ransacked. It is not like the downtown of Aurora is big, the damage was primarily confined to one block while the police watched it happen. Moreover the mayor let this happen. The looters originally targeted the Chicago Premium Outlet Mall but were met by a combination of police resistance and private security. So they then marched (and drove) to downtown Aurora. Irvin did not want to sacrifice the income from the mall so he let them march on downtown aurora, he hates the Arenkills anyway and was likely hoping they would force the remodel he wanted on them. I note his Latin Kings buddy's gang establishment was untouched. I wonder why? Oh the squad that was left there to protect it.

And a bunch of weak kneed liberals coming out with their children days later hanging up paper chains and painting flowers over boarded up windows does nothing to alter the fact the Mayor let the town be ransacked so the criminal elements he identifies with could line their pockets with jewelry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcharm View Post

Here is a strange question. In TX we have a cat that is indoor/outdoor. He is inside most of the day but will go out in the back yard for a few hours each night (We have an 8 foot privacy fence- not common up here we see and that is a good thing). It seems that having an indoor/outdoor cat is unheard of here- True?
Well if you don't mind him becoming coyote food that will work. I lost a cat that way years ago. And the coyote and fox population has exploded in Aurora since then. A fox will usually not bother a cat, but to a coyote they are delectable little morsels.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 06-04-2020 at 11:10 PM..

Old 06-13-2020, 04:16 AM

376 posts, read 485,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcharm View Post
Wow- great info here as this matches the search we are doing this week. Moving from TX (DFW) and have spent months scouring realtor.com/Redfin and spent all day yesterday with realtor looking at many different areas. We have 2 middle school daughters and are focused on show choirs which is obviously very specific but yesterday we have narrowed to homes in North Naperville, North Aurora (Batavia Sr High), Oswego and East Aurora (Waubonsie). Today we are going to look in Batavia and from what we saw last night, this might be the area for us.

Here is a strange question. In TX we have a cat that is indoor/outdoor. He is inside most of the day but will go out in the back yard for a few hours each night (We have an 8 foot privacy fence- not common up here we see and that is a good thing). It seems that having an indoor/outdoor cat is unheard of here- True?
There is a city ordinance in Naperville prohibiting 'unleashed' cats. I am from Texas myself and this was a bit of a culture shock. Oddly enough, there are a lot of Texas expats here. It's similar enough to lull you, but the people here really are different (I am in Naperville). There seems to be a lot more conformity and fear of saying anything controversial. Part of that is the times that we live in, I suppose.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:26 AM

376 posts, read 485,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
Yes, but do the other communities have a mayor with a criminal past and a history of abusing women? Did their mayor tell the police to stand down? Do they have a affirmative action police chief...

And a bunch of weak kneed liberals coming out with their children days later hanging up paper chains and painting flowers over boarded up windows does nothing to alter the fact the Mayor let the town be ransacked so the criminal elements he identifies with could line their pockets with jewelry.
Man, I like your attitude. Sometimes I feel as if I am one of the only sane people left in the area. To be fair, it is pretty clear that the riots caught the Naperville nonentity of a Mayor and his pet Police chief off guard, and that the police were ordered to stand down (it was 'tactically impossible' to separate the looters from peaceful protesters, never mind that the order to clear the streets had been given). But they do seem as though they are trying hard to not let it happen again (kneeling didn't work, I guess). IN Aurora the rot has spread further, but a lot of people in Naperville seem determined to go that way, too, for apparently altruistic reasons.

One thing that someone needs to know moving to the area is that the character is changing here: the suburbs are no longer red or purple, but decidedly blue, and could be on the way to becoming deep blue. A certain kind of person leaves Illinois, and a certain kind of person tends to move in, particularly where there are a lot of amenities and easy access to downtown Chicago. The change has been undeniable since I arrived here in the early 2000's.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:55 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,069,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
One thing that someone needs to know moving to the area is that the character is changing here: the suburbs are no longer red or purple, but decidedly blue, and could be on the way to becoming deep blue. A certain kind of person leaves Illinois, and a certain kind of person tends to move in, particularly where there are a lot of amenities and easy access to downtown Chicago. The change has been undeniable since I arrived here in the early 2000's.
Yeah, I'm good with all that.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:40 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,069,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Yeah, I'm good with all that.
Two months into our lives here, the only blue thing I see are ribbons and lights on people’s houses in support of police.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:11 PM

44,258 posts, read 19,921,361 times
This thread is now closed. The most recent barrage of inappropriate posts and orphaned replies have been deleted.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs