Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 3,876 times

Advertisements

If you like the Chain of Lakes, then you could probably find a place in Wauconda or unincorporated Mundelein that fits the bill. We're right next to the Chain and taxes are (relatively) low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 09:18 AM

1,945 posts, read 7,343,265 times
Also about Homer Glen. The taxes can be ASTRONOMICAL!!!

Old 08-01-2020, 12:02 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,330,756 times
I also think you should focus on Chain O’ Lakes area towns - you like the area and I think the “live free or die,” gun-toting, meat loving/grilling, down-to-earth, outdoorsyness of the area seem to match your criteria. It seems like your job doesn't require you to be close to the city and there are Metra stops in these towns.

The schools - Mundelein, Antioch (where else?) are alright too, though not the top tier. I’m not sure about Fox Lake schools. Maybe Grayslake schools are a bit better? Gun range in this town. Also hunting clubs in the area.

I have a friend who lives on Petite Lake (Antioch?) and spends her summers boating, grilling meat, drinking beer, hanging out at sand bars and dive bars, and absolutely loves it.

Her neighbors are some of the kindest people too - “compassionate and humble” like you mentioned. No one seems to care what you wear to the grocery store, what you put up in your yard, how big your personal fireworks displays are, or how fast and loud your boat is on the lake - there are pros and cons to this...

My friend is more like a former corporate, buttoned up Joan Cusack, so it’s funny how well she’s adapted to her new free-spirited lifestyle - I keep asking when she’s getting her first tattoo.

I do not personally know the Cusacks, though I had a crush on “Say Anything” John in the late 80’s and saw him at Cubs games. And my designer friend told me Joan used a reclaimed bowling lane for her wooden countertops, and I think that’s pretty cool.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 08-01-2020 at 12:20 PM..

Old 08-01-2020, 01:56 PM

3,204 posts, read 3,467,617 times
I personally know the Cusack family—Dick and Nancy—as former neighbors in Evanston. They were very nice people, but I don't see how they were normal or especially down-to-Earth. These were people that lived in a million-dollar home on Sheridan Road and had raging left-wing political views (I mean over-the-top) that they wore on their sleeves.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:58 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,330,756 times
FWIW I saw a surprisingly large number of Trump boat flags and MAGA hats when I was boating with my friend on Chain O’ Lakes a few days ago. Definitely not John Cusack. I follow his Twitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs