Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 11:21 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,471,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeplewillhavetheirsay View Post
If I was white and lived in Skokie or Evanston, why on earth would I stay there? The schools announced this week that once they open up again, there will only be enough space for nonwhites. Whites will have to wait until the Wuhan Virus is completely gone. But then again, since most of the whites who live there are leftist, their desire to be seen as “woke” will probably trump any love they might have for their children......So they won’t move, even if they’re treated as second class citizens (who happen to pay for most of the school budget.......)
What are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
This shocking news should be front page. All across America. I am not surprised you don't know this is happening. It's been ignored by most of the media. Which is disgraceful.
It's PAYBACK time:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/illinois-...erson-learning
You have totally mischaracterized what is going on. What they are going to do is prioritize the return of students more vulnerable to falling behind. Evanston/Skokie 65 has a large achievement gap associated with the race and household income of students. They're simply being cognizant of that when planning the return to the classroom. This pandemic has only exacerbated inequalities in our country. I would hope you would recognize that.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:43 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,385,852 times
Quote:
If I was white and lived in Skokie or Evanston, why on earth would I stay there? The schools announced this week that once they open up again, there will only be enough space for nonwhites. Whites will have to wait until the Wuhan Virus is completely gone. But then again, since most of the whites who live there are leftist, their desire to be seen as “woke” will probably trump any love they might have for their children......So they won’t move, even if they’re treated as second class citizens (who happen to pay for most of the school budget.......)
LOL. I was waiting to see a non-PC reply like this. Eastern Evanston (east of downtown & by the lakeshore) is probably majority white, but to your point likely leans heavily liberal.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:56 PM

529 posts, read 638,717 times
I didn't think Evanston would be segregating its schools in 2020 but here we are.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
LOL. I was waiting to see a non-PC reply like this. Eastern Evanston (east of downtown & by the lakeshore) is probably majority white, but to your point likely leans heavily liberal.
7 of the 9 wards in Evanston are majority white non-Hispanic. All precincts in Evanston, regardless of race or income, routinely produce Democratic majorities of greater than 70-80%—higher figures in Presidential elections. White Evanstonians are the strongest opponents of a community school for the majority African-American 5th ward. Notably, Evanston is one of the few municipalities in the state where the white non-Hispanic population grew as a percentage of the population between 2000 and 2010. Evanston/Skokie School District 65 is also the only school district in the state where white non-Hispanic students became the largest demographic group when they were not 15 years previously. No white flight.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:13 PM

493 posts, read 189,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You have totally mischaracterized what is going on. What they are going to do is prioritize the return of students more vulnerable to falling behind. Evanston/Skokie 65 has a large achievement gap associated with the race and household income of students. They're simply being cognizant of that when planning the return to the classroom. This pandemic has only exacerbated inequalities in our country. I would hope you would recognize that.
It’s also completely illegal. I would hope you would recognize that. I hope the School Boards are prepared to pay to defend against the lawsuits headed their way.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:27 PM

617 posts, read 532,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_090xA View Post
Looking at US census data 2000-2010 from just the north suburbs, all the suburbs with the biggest declines in white percentage are close to the city and not bordering the lake.

Consider the following data of change in percent of population that is white, from 2000-2010:

Evanston: +0.37%
Kenilworth: +0.32%
Highland Park: -0.16%
Northfield:-1.19%
Glenview: -1.27%
Winnetka: -1.48%
Lake Forest: -1.7%
Deerfield: -1.92%
Northbrook: -3.16%
Wilmette: -4.2%
Niles: -6.71%
Lincolnwood: -7.61%
Morton Grove: -7.71%
Skokie: -8.67%

Is this simply due to people who want to get out of the city and are moving to suburbs that are affordable? Immigration? Or something else?

White flight is something that happens to the whole country I think, they flight to those few remaining places which still feel like 1st world white country. Crazy prop taxes and steadily falling safety ratings just speed up the process.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:37 AM

85 posts, read 93,940 times
Quote:
This shocking news should be front page. All across America. I am not surprised you don't know this is happening. It's been ignored by most of the media. Which is disgraceful.
It's PAYBACK time:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/illinois-...erson-learning

Wow. Unbelievable! Whites in Evanston should be flogging themselves. Imagine what they are indirectly teaching their kids. "See Johnny. We are superior to these other races and by nature of our skin color are privileged. That's why we need to let everyone else go to the front of the line."

Hiruko maybe doesn't see the racism at play here in Evanston.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:51 PM

20 posts, read 22,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeGee7 View Post
It’s also completely illegal. I would hope you would recognize that. I hope the School Boards are prepared to pay to defend against the lawsuits headed their way.
I don't think they'll get any lawsuits from Evanston residents at least....Based on what we've seen with reparations. (Evanston was the first municipality in the U.S. to pass reparations for black residents as far as I can tell.)

The city lawyers are already preparing to make the case of why race-based reparations are legal. Although nobody has actually filed a lawsuit against the ordinance that passed 7-1 by the Aldermen. The argument they're hoping to make is that Evanston discriminated against black individuals in the housing market in the past (which is basically irrefutable, as redlining occurred across Chicagoland in the 60s). Not too often you have your lawyers work on a case trying to PROVE that your defendant was guilty of discrimination.

The school case would be murkier though I agree....I think they'd be okay if they made it income-based perhaps, rather than race-based. Chicago selective schools used to base test score admittance on race, and had to change their policies to be based on neighborhood wealth (which of course is heavily correlated to race).

The other challenge is simply defining WHO is "black" and "brown." That's get into it's own issue. Do bi-racial students qualify? What is somebody is Hispanic (from Spain) but not Latino? Get confusing and convuluted quickly. I expect it won't come to it though -- although I do expect Evanston will absolutely prioritize enrolling students they view as part of marginalized communities based on free/reduced lunch, learning disabled, poor grades, perhaps poorer neighborhoods.

There is a new superintendent incidentally who JUST got hired, and was largely hired based on his desire to focus efforts on black and hispanic students and closing the achievement gap.

Incidentally, I'm an Evanston resident who considers myself a moderate liberal (only ever voted for a Dem president). I'm conservative by Evanston standards....I would expect Trump support is about 2% (and is closeted support). I don't necessarily love how it was framed, but I also think that was just one of the many considerations and not the prime one. Honestly, knowing Evanston, I expected the school board to have race as part of their calculus given their emphasis on it consistently in the past (Evanston has tried to have an African Centric Curriculum, also recently hired a Director of Black Achievement, etc.).

Evanston offers a very diverse community from varying backgrounds (racially, socioeconomically). Whenever you have those sorts of dynamics, it's challenging to balance all parties. And the progressive force in Evanston is certainly the most prevelant force. Even despite some of the political craziness (just like Chicago, but Evanston is definitely more progressive), it's a great city if you want a walkable town that's full of amenities and close to the water with beautiful parks and architecture and easy access to the city....and most people choose to move to Evanston because they see value in diversity. Otherwise, you have a lot of other towns to choose from if you don't. Or, at least, you don't see diversity as a negative if you're choosing to live in Evanston. Of course, that doesn't mean that all Evanston residents think certain races should get priority school enrollment, but many people acknowledge that certain students will likely fall further behind if they continue to be remote more than others. It's definitely tricky.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:14 AM

9,882 posts, read 9,488,359 times
wow i cant believe this is happening in Evanston. such a shame. total discrimination and not hiding it. Sneaky way to pay reparation.

I'm so glad i do not have school aged children in 2020 that have to deal with all the problems of going back to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs