Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,581 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are looking to relocate this summer from downtown Chicago to the Western suburbs, probably Hinsdale, and were wondering regarding the inside secrets for ideal distance from the train station. On one hand, we'd like to be walking distance to a train station. On the other hand, after living for a couple of years next to an over the ground subway station and airport (LGA), there is a strong desire to avoid noise nuisances.

What would you recommend as a preferable distance to a train station? Recommendations for specific areas in Hinsdale are welcome as well.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 09:32 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
After living in HInsdale fairly close to downtown, I would say that 2 blocks is more than fine for most train noise- Walnut and north on the northside, and 1st street and south for the southside of the tracks.

Hinsdale continues to get nicer with all the new builds and infrastructure inprovements, with great schools and a great location. Never regret the move. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:04 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweler24 View Post
Hi,

We are looking to relocate this summer from downtown Chicago to the Western suburbs, probably Hinsdale, and were wondering regarding the inside secrets for ideal distance from the train station. On one hand, we'd like to be walking distance to a train station. On the other hand, after living for a couple of years next to an over the ground subway station and airport (LGA), there is a strong desire to avoid noise nuisances.

What would you recommend as a preferable distance to a train station? Recommendations for specific areas in Hinsdale are welcome as well.

Thank you
The Metra and freight trains will not be as noisy or as frequent as noise coming from a major airport or subway station. However, you will hear them on occasion from up to a mile or so away. It seems to depend on the weather or other noise, but I will occasionally hear the Metra or L all the way at the lakefront in Evanston which is more than half a mile from the train lines. In Lake Forest, it's the freight trains that bother me more, especially how they cause traffic jams. Even so, the noise level is not AT ALL comparable to the near-deafening round-the-clock sound of the Red Line going through Wrigleyville.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:15 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Yeah, you tend to be able to hear train noise (engine, horn) for about 2 to 3 blocks away from the tracks, but it's not really a problem even just one block away.

2 blocks away from tracks, you can faintly hear the horn and engine, but it's very quiet and just light background noise. It won't wake you up at night.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:39 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
would living a couple blocks away in a home that is on the opposite side of the train, so that your home blocks the train noise better than if you were facing the train, would that help muffle it a little/lot?

Old 12-17-2020, 01:16 PM

529 posts, read 646,945 times
Well, I don't think that would make a difference inside the house. Perhaps you could have some benefit in your backyard if the house faces the train. But again if you're at least 2 blocks away, the noise will be minimal.

Another point, The BNSF runs its fright trains at a rate of speed that is much higher than most if not all other lines in the area so the time you could be inconvenienced isn't too bad. Those trains may take just a minute or 2 to pass by. The only issues is that the BNSF is one of if not the busiest rail line, so you'll have a lot of commuter trains during rush hour.

Old 12-19-2020, 05:06 AM

12 posts, read 11,725 times
I lived 1.5 blocks north of the hinsdale highlands train station for about 5 years. This station is additionally buffered by pierce park on the north side as well as several trees as well as it is elevated 20 to 30 ft above ground. In all my time, I can not recall ever hearing the train and I spent a lot of time outside with my kids.

When visiting friends who lived within 1 block of highland station, it was slightly more obvious by sound and sight despite the park and trees and elevation but not bothersome at all.

I also closely looked at homes 1 block south of the west hinsdale station which does not have a park, or trees, or elevation to buffer it. The train station was super loud and visually impossible to ignore.

I currently live about 6 blocks south of hinsdale main train station and have never heard the train here either.

Hinsdale is wonderful and hope you enjoy the move.

Last edited by balefire; 12-19-2020 at 05:17 AM..

Old 12-20-2020, 05:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balefire View Post
I lived 1.5 blocks north of the hinsdale highlands train station for about 5 years. This station is additionally buffered by pierce park on the north side as well as several trees as well as it is elevated 20 to 30 ft above ground. In all my time, I can not recall ever hearing the train and I spent a lot of time outside with my kids.

When visiting friends who lived within 1 block of highland station, it was slightly more obvious by sound and sight despite the park and trees and elevation but not bothersome at all.

I also closely looked at homes 1 block south of the west hinsdale station which does not have a park, or trees, or elevation to buffer it. The train station was super loud and visually impossible to ignore.

I currently live about 6 blocks south of hinsdale main train station and have never heard the train here either.

Hinsdale is wonderful and hope you enjoy the move.

1 block south of West Hinsdale station could roughly describe where I live, although I'm probably further east of the location being referenced though as I can't see the actual station. Train noise was something we had questions about prior to buying, but we ultimately decided it should be fine and we weren't overly worried as we were coming from the city and used to some noise. Our experience has been really good. Metra is a total non-issue for our location. A big freight train will be something you can hear inside, but it is not a nuisance.

For my street, I'd say another half block (approx 1-1/2 blocks total offset from the train) might be preferred, but beyond that I don't think you would get much benefit from being further away (other than more exercise from your longer walk to the train ).

Ultimately, you'll need to make a call for yourself based on the details of the location and the house, but I don't think I'd rule out out too much other than something directly adjacent to the train without seeing it. If your neighbors have big houses and mature trees (which most do in Hinsdale) you may find that even a few houses offset from train may be pretty decent, especially if you are used to an urban environment.

Old 12-25-2020, 04:09 PM

617 posts, read 537,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweler24 View Post
Hi,

Thank you

I can say living ~5 miles away from the nearest track in Naperville I hear BNSF trains very well, especially on the second floor of my house, they can be loud as hell, often they wake me up 2-3am!

Thanks to the flat IL terrain and lack of trees loud noise travels quite far.

Old 12-25-2020, 10:36 PM

30 posts, read 26,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
I can say living ~5 miles away from the nearest track in Naperville I hear BNSF trains very well, especially on the second floor of my house, they can be loud as hell, often they wake me up 2-3am!

Thanks to the flat IL terrain and lack of trees loud noise travels quite far.
5 miles! Wow. I'm a mile from the train in Glenview and I never hear the metra. The freight train, very occasionally, but literally never the metra. But I think we do have more trees up here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs