U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,928 times

Advertisements

We're looking into moving to Yorkville area after being in Boston for 2 years. My husband would work in Yorkville, but we'd like to live in an affordable place with good park system, good schools, things to do for a young family. I'd love to live in Naperville, but our budget for a home is under $225K. I'm a little concerned about Plainfield after reading that it's such a "torndado alley". Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 10:52 AM

20,005 posts, read 72,985,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workyorkville View Post
We're looking into moving to Yorkville area after being in Boston for 2 years. My husband would work in Yorkville, but we'd like to live in an affordable place with good park system, good schools, things to do for a young family. I'd love to live in Naperville, but our budget for a home is under $225K. I'm a little concerned about Plainfield after reading that it's such a "torndado alley". Any suggestions?
Plainfield isnt any more prone to tornadoes than anywhere else, its pure coincidence that the city has been hit a few times. Plainfield might be a good choice, but its a bit of a haul to Yorkville. You might want to look into Yorkville or Elburn, both are pretty decent towns.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,928 times
Thanks for the comment about the tornadoes....makes sense. As far as Yorktown and Elburn go, we'd like to live in a bigger town with plenty of shopping, restaurants, and things to do.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,331,208 times
Actually, Plainfield isn't as far from Yorkville as you might think. If you live in the southern part of Plainfield, (Caton Farm and Rt. 59 area) It's actually a very easy drive. You can take Caton Farm or Rt. 126 to Rt. 47 which is the heart of Yorkville and be there in 15 to 20 minutes. It's all farm roads so there is never any traffic. So Plainfield might be a good option, Oswego is nice town you may want to check out, or maybe even Yorkville itself, although I'm not familiar with Yorkville schools. Oswego and Plainfield are also closer to Naperville than Yorkville if you like going to Naperville for shopping/dining, and they are a bit more built up with shopping/dining. Like Steve-o said, Plainfield is no more at risk for a tornado than anywhere else in the midwest, it had 1 bad tornado 15 years ago which is why people hang on to the tornado alley rep.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workyorkville View Post
Thanks for the comment about the tornadoes....makes sense. As far as Yorktown and Elburn go, we'd like to live in a bigger town with plenty of shopping, restaurants, and things to do.
Actually, sbd78 is correct (as he states above) regarding southern Plainfield... you can get to Yorkville pretty quickly. If youre up north near Naperville, Id say forget it. Regarding Elburn, youd be right near Geneva and St. Charles, which are lovely towns with tons of shopping. Once again, about the tornadoes, Plainfield is odd in that respect. I grew up just north of there and have never seen one in my life. Odd.

I have lots of Geneva, St. Charles and Elburn photos here if youre interested...
Some suburb pics (56K BEWARE!)

Old 04-30-2008, 11:48 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,331,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Actually, sbd78 is correct (as he states above)
Hey, sbd78 is a she!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Hey, sbd78 is a she!
Shoot, sorry! My bad.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:41 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,009,938 times
Yorkville is a growing community with a wide range of housing options. Their shopping is expanding, with a number of new stores etc. under construction. directly west of yorkville, on its' border is plano. they have some reasonably priced homes there as well. I do not know much about the plano schools. Yorkville recently passed a school referendum and its district has been growing. Directly north of Yorkville is Sugar grove. It is not as big, but has nice homes with a variety of prices. Our shopping is not existent at this time. Also, just north and a little east of yorkville is montgomery. It's western edge is new construction, fairly reasonable in price. this area attends Kaneland Schools, as does Sugar grove. Their is also an area of Oswego, directly across the street. There is some increased shopping along the orchard road corridor..a new walmart and some outlots. hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs