Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 03:08 PM

69 posts, read 77,480 times

Advertisements

We recently revisited Kane County and Lake County and found both to be very enjoyable (even with the pandemic). We enjoyed driving around and seeing the neighborhoods, communities and nature that both counties offer. I love the trees, wildflowers (and in Kane County, the lovely barns). The farm areas seemed well kept and the cornfields and beautiful barns added to the charm. There were plenty of retail and restaurants for convenience. Traffic was fairly light (pandemic may be keeping it lower than usual). The people were very nice and welcoming. We looked at homes in Geneva and St. Charles (both very wonderful towns) but it is just the two of us and the houses that were for sale were often too large and did not have a floor plan and finishes that worked for us. We found the right home in a new community in Elgin (looks to be Southwest Elgin to me but I'm new to the area) and our house is being built later this year. We are really looking forward to living in Kane County!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 05:14 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,584,562 times
yes I was driving from Wheaton to Elburn, on Roosevelt Road, and i went thru Geneva, downtown is so sweet! and then once you cross over that going west, you get to the corn fields and i saw horses and i knew i was out in the country!! i was told by some people who had property that the area of St Charles, Geneva and Batavia is a real nice area as far as low crime and surroundings like that.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:07 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
yes I was driving from Wheaton to Elburn, on Roosevelt Road, and i went thru Geneva, downtown is so sweet! and then once you cross over that going west, you get to the corn fields and i saw horses and i knew i was out in the country!! i was told by some people who had property that the area of St Charles, Geneva and Batavia is a real nice area as far as low crime and surroundings like that.
My wife and I were driving through Elburn the other day while going to visit friends who live way out in the country. We both said if we could do it again we would have moved to Elburn and lived way out there given the proximity to the fringe suburbs but the feel of living in a small town (with a nice downtown) with country surrounding it.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,584,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
My wife and I were driving through Elburn the other day while going to visit friends who live way out in the country. We both said if we could do it again we would have moved to Elburn and lived way out there given the proximity to the fringe suburbs but the feel of living in a small town (with a nice downtown) with country surrounding it.
You might want to check out the crime in Elburn.. ZERO.

Old 08-24-2020, 11:17 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
I just don't see the allure of living in Illinois without being in the Chicago metro area. If you want wide open spaces and farms why not leave the state and not have to deal with all the poor governance issues like spiraling property taxes that is miring the state. The only reason I stay is my job otherwise I would bail.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:55 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I just don't see the allure of living in Illinois without being in the Chicago metro area. If you want wide open spaces and farms why not leave the state and not have to deal with all the poor governance issues like spiraling property taxes that is miring the state. The only reason I stay is my job otherwise I would bail.
You make a great point... and that's why we're moving out of the area

Old 08-24-2020, 02:04 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Well a big plus would be you're still a short drive from the Chicago area. For example living in Elburn you're still very close to the likes of Aurora and Naperville for jobs, entertainment, dining, etc., yet get to live peacefully in a very quiet, rural area. In a sense, you get the best of both worlds. You're also a 1-2 hour drive/train ride to the city if you ever want to go there.

Now if you have no use for commuting to the Chicago area at all, then I'd agree, you might as well move out to a cheaper state. But the advantage to living on these far out towns on the outer edge of the metro is a peaceful lifestyle, bigger lot, yet also still have proximity to a major city (for a job, you have family in the area, use of the airports, entertainment, etc)

Last edited by CCrest182; 08-24-2020 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-24-2020, 02:07 PM

69 posts, read 77,480 times
Default Reasons for IL

Quote:
Our careers are in Illinois and we want to be within 2 hours of downtown Chicago. Some parts of NW Indiana and SE Wisconsin are within 2 hours of Chicago and are very nice but for our careers Illinois makes more sense. Also, we are not that familiar with WI and IN since we have never lived there but I think there is a difference between them and IL and it is more than taxes. For us, we are still looking to maximize career earnings and opportunities. But I can envision that some day that could change and we might live in IN or WI.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:13 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Well a big plus would be you're still a short drive from the Chicago area. For example living in Elburn you're still very close to the likes of Aurora and Naperville for jobs, entertainment, dining, etc., yet get to live peacefully in a very quiet, rural area. In a sense, you get the best of both worlds. You're also a 1-2 hour drive/train ride to the city if you ever want to go there.

Now if you have no use for commuting to the Chicago area at all, then I'd agree, you might as well move out to a cheaper state. But the advantage to living on these far out towns on the outer edge of the metro is a peaceful lifestyle, bigger lot, yet also still have proximity to a major city (for a job, you have family in the area, use of the airports, entertainment, etc)
You can get wide open spaces and less than 1-2hr to Chicago in Indiana and not have to worry about getting taxed out of your home, or not having it appreciate as a result, like in Illinois. Wisconsin as well; though Indiana is better. In either you get better services/tax $ than in Illizuela.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:08 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,049 times
Also, if I'm being honest, not sure why you would pick Elgin. Most of the schools there are pretty horrendous and could affect your resale value.

Batavia/Geneva/STC would have been a better bet. Or a smaller home in Campton Hills. A second tier of Elburn / Sugar Grove perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs