Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,031 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I'm considering a job in Orland Park, IL. I don't want to live in Illinois, but would consider moving to Hammond or possibly somewhere else in NW Indiana and commuting to Orland Park if I were selected for this job. According to Google Maps the travel time from Hammond to Orland Park via I-80W/I-94W is about 32 minutes, but I'm assuming it would take longer in morning traffic. Can someone give me an idea as to how much longer the route would take on average during rush hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 05:51 PM

93 posts, read 125,937 times
I-80/94 can get backed up during rush hour, but there are other feasible ways to get to Orland Park in a reasonable time should you need to take a detour. The commute will vary depending on where in Orland Park you're working, and where in NWI you decide to live. A half hour to Orland Park is not incredibly realistic during rush hour, but the commute will still be doable.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post
I-80/94 can get backed up during rush hour, but there are other feasible ways to get to Orland Park in a reasonable time should you need to take a detour. The commute will vary depending on where in Orland Park you're working, and where in NWI you decide to live. A half hour to Orland Park is not incredibly realistic during rush hour, but the commute will still be doable.

Thanks for the info. Can you give me an idea then of how long it would take during the worst rush hour times and how long it would take with detours? I'm used to a 20 minute commute where I live, so I'm really not too keen on a commute that takes more than 40 minutes. I know that's a decent commute time by Chicago standards, but as interested as I might be in this job, it wouldn't be worth it to me for that.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:25 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Usually, for Suburban Chicago traffic, three minutes per mile is a good estimate. I often hear of backups on I80 and 94 probably due to heavy truck traffic.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Usually, for Suburban Chicago traffic, three minutes per mile is a good estimate. I often hear of backups on I80 and 94 probably due to heavy truck traffic.
I had never heard of this before, but I think it's a great estimate! There are times where your commute would be an hour. You can avoid I-80/94, but traffic would most likely still be heavy on those roads during rush hour.

If the benefits of this job outweigh the costs, I would consider living in Illinois to be closer to Orland Park. Yes, taxes are higher, but it would save you in commute time. Lots to consider!

Old 08-31-2020, 07:31 AM

148 posts, read 121,909 times
Quote:
I had never heard of this before, but I think it's a great estimate! There are times where your commute would be an hour. You can avoid I-80/94, but traffic would most likely still be heavy on those roads during rush hour.

If the benefits of this job outweigh the costs, I would consider living in Illinois to be closer to Orland Park. Yes, taxes are higher, but it would save you in commute time. Lots to consider!
Considering that taxes are going even higher in Illinois along with major service cuts the OP is smart to not consider living in Illinois.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
Considering that taxes are going even higher in Illinois along with major service cuts the OP is smart to not consider living in Illinois.
I understand the thinking, but if the OP doesn't want a long commute, they will have to consider their options. If living in Illinois & what comes with it is seen as less negative than the commute, then I believe it's something for OP to consider.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I understand the thinking, but if the OP doesn't want a long commute, they will have to consider their options. If living in Illinois & what comes with it is seen as less negative than the commute, then I believe it's something for OP to consider.
A short commute at the expense of quality of life isn’t worth it. That’s not a good rational tradeoff

Old 09-01-2020, 08:32 AM

63 posts, read 34,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
A short commute at the expense of quality of life isn’t worth it. That’s not a good rational tradeoff
I’d argue a shorter commute adds greatly to ones quality of life.

https://www.inc.com/business-insider...isfaction.html

Old 09-01-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownGuy3 View Post
I’d argue a shorter commute adds greatly to ones quality of life.

https://www.inc.com/business-insider...isfaction.html
You can preach an irrational argument all you want.
Why aren’t more people living 5-10 minutes away from where they work?
Answer: Crime, Taxes, Schools, neighborhood feel, cost of living, price of housing, available amenities like stores, parks and so on and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs