Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2020, 03:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMN2BE View Post
I am originally from the Chicago area (south suburbs) and have lived in MN for 10+ years now. Our office went 100% remote permanently and we are now allowed to work anywhere. My wife and I are thinking about moving back to the Chicagoland area, mostly to be closer to my family to help take care of our two-year old, as well as more job opportunities for my wife once she returns to work.

Literally every article I read about IL is doom and gloom
I will say this, I have had friends and a lot of friends move down there to chase the money and at first it seemed like they made a great choice. Now not so much as all of them are talking about leaving, it's not just the fact that IL is losing people faster than any other state it's also the increasing costs of living there. People even forget just how much more expensive gas and groceries and insuring you car is down there, little things that add up.

Gas up here in Wisconsin is 1.70 vs 2.30 down there, the parking fees the rising taxes and even more taxes coming down the pike and every year less and less more people to help foot the bill, snowball effect on taxes.

That all being said, family and friends are the most important things in life along with health. So it just maybe worth the added cost. Unless you can convince your whole family to move to IN or TN. In the end money isn't everything but it does make like easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 04:20 PM

997 posts, read 849,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Uh yes paying 10% of your income in property tax alone is ridiculous plus 5% income 8-10.5% sales fees utility taxes etc.

And it isn't just my perception. Illinois makes top 5 or even 1 for worst run state, highest tax burden per capita, worst business climate, and most residents moving out. That is nothing to brag about or even regard as acceptable.
I wasn’t aware property tax was based on income levels.

Old 11-14-2020, 05:32 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
I wasn’t aware property tax was based on income levels.
Property taxes are based on home value which is roughly correlates with income level though some people with high incomes own homes below their means and some people are house poor (though mortgage acceptance puts some limits on that).

A middle class household earning $70k paying $7k on a $233k house (3% property tax rate) is pretty typical.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:01 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Property taxes are based on home value which is roughly correlates with income level though some people with high incomes own homes below their means and some people are house poor (though mortgage acceptance puts some limits on that).

A middle class household earning $70k paying $7k on a $233k house (3% property tax rate) is pretty typical.
@Liledgy and others seem to miss the fact that, in general, the wealthier the suburb the lower the property tax rate is in the Chicagoland area. Many south suburbs have effective property tax rates in excess of 5% of market value.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:20 PM

617 posts, read 537,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Chicago will never be a world class city like Boston and New York. It just has a less sophisticated culture. It will be the first domino to fall when there's an economic collapse.

Come on, Boston is a fairly small provincial city, very expensive for what you get, very poor infrastructure, too much unsubstantiated elitism and tons of unjustified hype. There's nothing "world class" about it besides sky high prices.

Don't even get me started on NYC - same issues as Boston just worse, plus too much trash, stinky streets and shocking level of homelessness.

Last edited by civis; 11-24-2020 at 02:40 PM..

Old 11-24-2020, 03:06 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Come on, Boston is a fairly small provincial city, very expensive for what you get, very poor infrastructure, too much unsubstantiated elitism and tons of unjustified hype. There's nothing "world class" about it besides sky high prices.

Don't even get me started on NYC - same issues as Boston just worse, plus too much trash, stinky streets and shocking level of homelessness.
Boston's MSA is pushing 5M people. It is, objectively, a leader in healthcare, education, bio, and tech. ~30% of Boston is foreign born. It is on every International ranking and index. It has some of the most coveted suburbs in North America. It has a network of the strongest private K-12 schools in US, and hosts arguably the strongest public school systems in the country. The area has sought after ocean front - Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod front and center. Boston, the city of 700k, sees the same International tourism numbers as Chicago. So, you can dismiss it as a more regional center or a provincial city, but most don't.

And as a result, nobody should be surprised that Boston and Greater Boston are expensive.

NYC is a wagon. Brooklyn, in a silo, hosts almost the same population as Chicago. You could hate 80% of NYC, and even left with 20% of the city, it can stack up or outdo almost any other. But how anybody who likes the big city atmosphere could feel anything other than an affinity for areas like Park Slope, or West Village, or Greenwich Village, or SoHo, or Greenpoint, or Cobble Hill is beyond me.

Lower Manhattan is poetry in motion:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7249...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7362...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7141...7i16384!8i8192

I saw your post in the Chicago Suburbs forum about how Naperville is a s*** hole. Something about "all that is left are cornfields". Sounds to me like you don't like Chicagoland, either.

So... What area do you like?

Last edited by mwj119; 11-24-2020 at 03:57 PM..

Old 11-24-2020, 03:09 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Chicago will never be a world class city like Boston and New York. It just has a less sophisticated culture. It will be the first domino to fall when there's an economic collapse.
If the city of Boston is a world class city, then the city of Chicago makes the all-solar system team.

Chicago is a larger, more well rounded city than Boston. That's probably not changing in our lifetime.

Old 12-22-2020, 02:27 PM

89 posts, read 59,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Boston's MSA is pushing 5M people. It is, objectively, a leader in healthcare, education, bio, and tech. ~30% of Boston is foreign born. It is on every International ranking and index. It has some of the most coveted suburbs in North America. It has a network of the strongest private K-12 schools in US, and hosts arguably the strongest public school systems in the country. The area has sought after ocean front - Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod front and center. Boston, the city of 700k, sees the same International tourism numbers as Chicago. So, you can dismiss it as a more regional center or a provincial city, but most don't.

And as a result, nobody should be surprised that Boston and Greater Boston are expensive.

NYC is a wagon. Brooklyn, in a silo, hosts almost the same population as Chicago. You could hate 80% of NYC, and even left with 20% of the city, it can stack up or outdo almost any other. But how anybody who likes the big city atmosphere could feel anything other than an affinity for areas like Park Slope, or West Village, or Greenwich Village, or SoHo, or Greenpoint, or Cobble Hill is beyond me.

Lower Manhattan is poetry in motion:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7362...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7141...7i16384!8i8192

I saw your post in the Chicago Suburbs forum about how Naperville is a s*** hole. Something about "all that is left are cornfields". Sounds to me like you don't like Chicagoland, either.

So... What area do you like?
I agree that Boston can be overlooked, but it's expensive for a reason. I don't really vibe with the east coast at all, but that would probably be my pick if I had to live in the area. NYC doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. In those street views, only the 2nd one I found appealing. The first one just makes it seem crowded and disjointed, and the 3rd and 4th to me could just as easily be a street in Chicago.

But I digress - I moved away from my family in Chicago just to experience living somewhere new and to take a good job opportunity in Oregon. I pay higher income taxes than IL but lower property taxes. I'd like to move back home closer to family, but hearing friends and the tax bills on their houses is just crazy to me. I think there is a future in IL - at least I hope so. They really need to get the spending under control, but for many it's still worth it. In my case, I think my QoL would be best in an area where the income and property taxes are more moderate (doesn't need to be #1 in either, but not like #40-51 either).

Old 01-05-2021, 02:08 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Chicago is more worldly and cosmopolitan than Boston. Boston is not as sophisticated as Chicago. It is close, but Chicago beats out Boston. Although you are right about NY. It beats Chicago.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:57 AM

223 posts, read 170,245 times
Naperville is a south west suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs