U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 01:02 AM

2,688 posts, read 903,887 times

Advertisements

OP, in making your decision, research home value appreciation over the past fifteen years in the areas you're interested in. In my southwest suburb, prices are still not back to where they were at their peak in 2006. Performance in other areas likely vary, but in my own experience, to say I'm less than impressed would be an understatement.

Personally, I blame the high real estate taxes for most of this - something else that should be on your list of things to research. And, how much will they be increasing going forward? Finally, I sure wouldn't make a decision until the dust settles following the pandemic, the election, and the civil unrest - you might end up joining the crowd wanting to move to an island somewhere, LOL.

On the plus side, it's sure an attractive time to borrow money if you've got a secure source of income, I don't think rates have been this low since when, the early sixties?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 12:09 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,592,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMN2BE View Post
Thank you for the dissenting opinion. As expensive as IL may be, it's still cheaper than other areas like NYC/NJ/LA/SF where you have similarly high taxes but homes are 3-4x as expensive.

Can I ask why you're not a fan of Vernon Hills? We have a family friend that's lived there for 20+ years and seems to be happy, although I've never directly asked them what they think of the city.

Thanks again.
I'm not against Vernon Hills. My brother in law lived there and it was nice enough I just considered it another blah suburb like a Schaumburg and I much prefer the western suburbs of Chicago, unless you have the money to live on the North Shore.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:45 PM

2,472 posts, read 1,562,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I'm not against Vernon Hills. My brother in law lived there and it was nice enough I just considered it another blah suburb like a Schaumburg and I much prefer the western suburbs of Chicago, unless you have the money to live on the North Shore.
I'm from the North Shore, but I think that the Barrington area, Inverness, Kildeer, Long Grove, Arlington Heights, Park Ridge, Lincolnshire, and the other inland north/northwest suburban areas are quite lovely. I would favor them over the western suburbs. I-90 is just a complete trainwreck for those 'burbs along it, unfortunately.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:03 PM

197 posts, read 40,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I'm from the North Shore, but I think that the Barrington area, Inverness, Kildeer, Long Grove, Arlington Heights, Park Ridge, Lincolnshire, and the other inland north/northwest suburban areas are quite lovely. I would favor them over the western suburbs. I-90 is just a complete trainwreck for those 'burbs along it, unfortunately.
Hiruko I like your taste. When can we crack open your bottles of DRC and Lafite?

Old 10-21-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDavid View Post
Hiruko I like your taste. When can we crack open your bottles of DRC and Lafite?
As soon as I get rid of my Cayenne S (and win the Powerball).

Old 10-21-2020, 08:40 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,744,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I guess I just prefer the western suburbs. I do like the north shore, but they are expensive. The western suburbs mostly have nice little town areas and beautiful homes.
The price point of Vernon Hills is quite reasonable IMO. You really don't have anywhere close to the hardcore North Shore price premium that you will see on some estates close to the actual shore (ie. what you find near Green Bay Road or Sheridan Road in eastern Lake Forest, Highland Park, Glencoe, Winnetka, etc.). Even the more inland (but south) Northbrook & Glenview will probably be quite a bit more expensive than Vernon Hills.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:27 PM

562 posts, read 461,070 times
I'll say this: the fear-mongers have been blowing their horns for at least 50 years now. To the detriment of their credibility.

Which is sad, because, even if they make a valid prediction, they will be seen as the boy who cried wolf.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I'll say this: the fear-mongers have been blowing their horns for at least 50 years now. To the detriment of their credibility.

Which is sad, because, even if they make a valid prediction, they will be seen as the boy who cried wolf.
50 years???

Old 10-21-2020, 09:49 PM

49 posts, read 39,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
The price point of Vernon Hills is quite reasonable IMO. You really don't have anywhere close to the hardcore North Shore price premium that you will see on some estates close to the actual shore (ie. what you find near Green Bay Road or Sheridan Road in eastern Lake Forest, Highland Park, Glencoe, Winnetka, etc.). Even the more inland (but south) Northbrook & Glenview will probably be quite a bit more expensive than Vernon Hills.
That was why I was looking at Vernon Hills - it seems like such a great value (schools, safety, shopping, location, etc.) relative to the home prices. I understand that Vernon Hills is a pretty "blah" suburb, but I grew up in Orland/tinley park, which are pretty lame suburbs, so I could probably make Vernon Hills work... I'd rather pay $350k for a home with a 15 minutes drive to the "action" rather than pay $450k home with a 5 minute drive to the "action".

Old 10-21-2020, 10:15 PM

562 posts, read 461,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
50 years???
Certainly: https://www.nasra.org/Files/State-Sp...%20history.pdf

Shoot, you can find a quote in this pdf from 1917, describing the state as insolvent and near crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs