U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 4,658 times

Advertisements

TL;DR: Thank you all for your suggestions and insight. We are adding Elmhurst, Downers Grove (and potentially the nearby western suburbs), and Evanston to the list of suburbs to visit & consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoisthebest View Post
Purplypurple, Move to elmhurst it has metra and a really walkable downtown and next to the expressway and great schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3Environmental View Post
Elmhurst is a great option.
We actually ended up walking around Elmhurst yesterday and found the "city" square and the surrounding residential blocks charming. My spouse is more likely to have jobs in the suburbs in the future, so Elmhurst's easy access/proximity to major expressways is really a nice plus we hadn't considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
LaGrange is probably a great option for you. Downers Grove is still about 30 minutes on the express train and there is plenty within $700K in your range. I think that Western Springs and Clarendon Hills are both likely to be a bit over budget and Hinsdale is really expensive by downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I would also check out Western Springs and Clarendon Hills for better schools than La Grange (although WS and LG share the same HS) and Downers Grove. Hinsdale might be out of reach near its downtown, but not necessarily-it would be close.
Looking at the Metra schedule, I'm surprised to see that the express from Downers Grove to DT is much quicker than I had thought. Definitely adding to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Evanston, Oak Park, and River Forest are your best bets for your priorities. Oak Park and River Forest will have some nicer options at your buy-in price point of $700k, but the taxes will be substantially higher than Evanston's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The $600-700k range has been a very competitive space for buyers. However, you should definitely be able to find something that might meet your expectations in Evanston or Wilmette. Central Street, the Main-Dempster Mile, and Downtown Evanston shopping districts are true gems of the North Shore. Downtown Wilmette is improving but still lacks a destination quality. Have you taken a look at what's on the market right now?
Yes, we have been keeping an eye on the housing inventory in various suburbs and have also looked at the past sales from the last 6 months. I am not sure why I was under the impression Evanston didn't have good schools - will need to take a closer look at the Illinois report card. As to Oak Park, my assessment of the housing market was similar to yours in that while they are definitely options within our budget, all in with taxes might be a stretch unfortunately.

Thank you again everyone for your suggestions. Happy New Year!

Last edited by purplypurple; 01-01-2021 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Grammar error
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 05:21 PM

169 posts, read 37,709 times
Yes, you should definitely consider elmhurst.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:27 PM

730 posts, read 593,056 times
If you are adding Downers Grove to the list, you will find that taxes are generally lower than comparable suburbs, although you should check what effective tax rates are.

For ~700K you can get a fine home in core Downers Grove (look from Belmont to Fairview, and 55th to Ogden - I prefer the Pierce Downer School District). If you are near Union Station, the commute from DG is very quick. My wife did it daily pre-covid and it was literally 40 minutes door to door.

Feel free to DM me with and DG specific questions.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:35 PM

5,702 posts, read 2,705,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
If you are adding Downers Grove to the list, you will find that taxes are generally lower than comparable suburbs, although you should check what effective tax rates are.

For ~700K you can get a fine home in core Downers Grove (look from Belmont to Fairview, and 55th to Ogden - I prefer the Pierce Downer School District). If you are near Union Station, the commute from DG is very quick. My wife did it daily pre-covid and it was literally 40 minutes door to door.

Feel free to DM me with and DG specific questions.
Yup. And to the original post title, Downer's Grove has a really nice, lively, vibrant and family friendly downtown, in addition to good schools. Post-pandemic, hopefully like all cities in the US, it will regain the vibrancy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nQK_h_hhbno

Old 01-04-2021, 04:01 PM

2,536 posts, read 1,489,717 times
I would also recommend Riverside or north Brookfield. Decent schools, nice downtowns, Metra, walkable/older towns, close to the city. A great value too.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:10 PM

40 posts, read 13,318 times
East or West Dundee- Not sure which one has a cute downtown area which is growing. It's very hilly and the houses are stunning. Also, it has a river downtown (kayaking) and a walking trail. I was impressed when I saw it since I'm also planning a move out of Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplypurple View Post
We are a couple in our 30s with a toddler living in a NW neighborhood of Chicago. We are looking to move to a suburb that fits the following criteria:
  1. Close to the City. A 30-minute express train to the Loop would be ideal. Max 40 minutes.
  2. Has a walkable downtown (an urban feel would be a bonus). While we are not expecting a huge downtown, we'd like to live as close as possible to a downtown of some sort and be able to walk to places. We don't care for a big house anyway and have no problem choosing a smaller and/or older house in order to live in or closer to downtown.
  3. Good schools. I know everyone defines good schools differently - let's say it doesn't have to be Naperville school caliber necessarily.
  4. Our budget is $700k for a 4 BR house.

So far LaGrange seems to be the most promising option, but would love other suggestions as well. We have also considered:
  • Park Ridge - concerned about the airplane noise, especially the downtown areas
  • Wilmette - houses close to downtown might be out of our budget

Thank you!

Old 01-09-2021, 08:37 AM

730 posts, read 593,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigal777 View Post
East or West Dundee- Not sure which one has a cute downtown area which is growing. It's very hilly and the houses are stunning. Also, it has a river downtown (kayaking) and a walking trail. I was impressed when I saw it since I'm also planning a move out of Chicago.
Is there transit that would get one to downtown in the 30-45 minute range from there?

Old 01-09-2021, 09:56 PM

6,625 posts, read 3,077,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Is there transit that would get one to downtown in the 30-45 minute range from there?
It looks like the fastest metra is still well over an hour in the mornings from Elgin, which would also require a drive to the station instead of hopefully being walking distance like the other areas that have been recommended.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:58 PM

17 posts, read 12,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplypurple View Post
I am not sure why I was under the impression Evanston didn't have good schools - will need to take a closer look at the Illinois report card.
Evanston has a much higher percentage of low income/minority/English language learner students in its school population than most of the other suburbs you are considering. Thus, average test scores may be lower. (Test scores tend to correlate heavily to income level/race). However, you'll see that white/Asian and/or non low income students in Evanston perform similarly to that demographic in other school districts. Obviously, the benefit/drawbacks of diverse schools gets heated/political on here quickly, so you have to decide for yourself. Evanston is a very liberal/progressive community and school governance/administration certainly skews that way as well.

I personally find Evanston a great community that has a great downtown area (I would argue the most amenities of any Chicago suburb - notwithstanding COVID times which make it feel not that way for now), a world class university nearby which gives it a good vibrancy/intellectual feel, close to beach/lakefront, tons of parks (which I've utilized plenty with kids this year), beautiful historic homes, and easy access to the city/downtown (faster commute on Metra downtown than Lincoln Square on the El really). You do have to be someone who values/is okay with diversity and Republicans might feel out of place although politics don't have to dominate your life certainly. I'm a moderate to liberal Democrat, and sometimes I feel like a crazy conservative compared to most in the community.

We chose it because of the urban/suburban feel (VERY walkable although depends where exactly you are), easy access to the city, and beautiful historic housing stock as well as proximity to the lakefront and diverse community and set of values.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions/concerns.

Last edited by bluedog_; 01-10-2021 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-14-2021, 04:46 PM

169 posts, read 37,709 times
Yes, Evanston schools aren’t the best especially the high school and the west side of Evanston is pretty run down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs