U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 10:03 PM

2,466 posts, read 946,728 times

Advertisements

I've loved Skokie for years!!! Best of luck to you all!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 01:19 PM

9 posts, read 2,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Welcome! I hope to see more Californians moving to Illinois. Was it the lower cost of living and ability to remote work that motivated your decision?
We've been working remotely for years, so the ability to live where we want vs. where jobs are isn't new for us, though we never take it for granted!

What IS new? The West's horrific wildfire season that's growing longer and more virulent by the year. We endured months of unbreathe-able air here this summer/fall, with flames coming within four miles of our house and evacuation orders everywhere. We're less than an hour from the site of what used to be Paradise, California before it burned to the ground a few years ago.

I've always loved Chicagoland. I've lived in New Hampshire and NY, so I'm no stranger to the cold. And as an Oklahoman by birth, the middle of the country feels like "home."

The real estate inventory there is also a lure, with prices notably cheaper than California's.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:25 PM

169 posts, read 37,709 times
Illuminatetheworld, Skokie is a nice suburb but there are many bad areas of Skokie you should avoid.Skokie has a lot of things to do though.You should consider glen view, wilmette, lincolnwood and park ridge.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:18 PM

5,843 posts, read 4,523,176 times
Although it could change, this Winter has been very mild. I think we've had maybe ~4 inches of snow so far with no real cold snap. Of course, now that I said that you will likely arrive during a blizzard, followed by an arctic blast of subzero temps.

Nothing really special needed. If you have lots of light jackets/sweatshirts, you can layer them as needed. A good hat is key to cover the ears and keep the heat from escaping. I like the trapper style hats as they cover almost everything, very warm. Being able to work from home will be a huge plus since you won't have to worry about snow/commuting/traffic.

Good luck with the move and welcome to Chicago!

Last edited by flamadiddle; 01-14-2021 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-14-2021, 07:47 PM

9 posts, read 2,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoisthebest View Post
Illuminatetheworld, Skokie is a nice suburb but there are many bad areas of Skokie you should avoid.Skokie has a lot of things to do though.You should consider glen view, wilmette, lincolnwood and park ridge.
Thanks, Chicagoisthebest! Of course we've cast a really wide net with our home search, and in addition to the (highly desired) areas you mentioned are looking at Elmhurst, Arlington Heights, and Downers Grove. We'll buy wherever the house, high school, and immediate neighborhood amenities are right, and being that we're looking for a funky, un-renovated "time capsule" between $300-400K, Skokie seems like the likeliest, based on the listings that appear there versus elsewhere. TBH, we'd LOVE to live in Park Ridge, Evanston, or Wilmette...it's just that based on what we're interested in (midcentury un-renovated grandma ranch house with a full finished basement) and the price point, we're a lot less likely to find something in those areas. Not out of the question, just less likely. We have a buyer's agent and absolutely LIVE on the MLS listings platform, in addition to Zillow/Redfin/Realtor.com, etc.

I welcome any input and leads! Living in a sea of boxes right now and super eager to get out there!

Old 01-15-2021, 04:44 PM

123 posts, read 233,271 times
Default LOL Skokie Baroquey

I have never heard that term, but I love it! Actually what you are describing kind of sounds like how my house was when I bought it 20 years ago. It was super sixties/seventies dated. I saw beyond the ugly white shag carpet that covered hardwood floors! There was wall paper in the master bedroom closet that was red and flocked like it came out of a Las Vegas bordello. We also have some super cool paneling and decorative walls ha ha!

I think you can definitely find that type of place. There are also some of that retro genre in West Wilmette, East Glenview and Morton Grove. Skevanston is great but you do have some other options, possibly. I hope you find your Boogie Nights dream home! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

Old 01-15-2021, 05:45 PM

169 posts, read 37,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatetheworld View Post
Thanks, Chicagoisthebest! Of course we've cast a really wide net with our home search, and in addition to the (highly desired) areas you mentioned are looking at Elmhurst, Arlington Heights, and Downers Grove. We'll buy wherever the house, high school, and immediate neighborhood amenities are right, and being that we're looking for a funky, un-renovated "time capsule" between $300-400K, Skokie seems like the likeliest, based on the listings that appear there versus elsewhere. TBH, we'd LOVE to live in Park Ridge, Evanston, or Wilmette...it's just that based on what we're interested in (midcentury un-renovated grandma ranch house with a full finished basement) and the price point, we're a lot less likely to find something in those areas. Not out of the question, just less likely. We have a buyer's agent and absolutely LIVE on the MLS listings platform, in addition to Zillow/Redfin/Realtor.com, etc.

I welcome any input and leads! Living in a sea of boxes right now and super eager to get out there!
You would be surprised west wilmette is not that expensive with houses in the 300s and some of Niles is Maine south district.Elmhurst is very nice to.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:05 AM

73 posts, read 105,601 times
I never heard the term Skevenston - but I like it! I also like Canada Goose (worth it if it fits the budget), Arcteryx, Patagonia and The Northface - prefer down filled. Those will keep you warm and in style
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs