Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 12:26 AM

9 posts, read 8,654 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family of four (two teens + me and the husband) are moving to Skevanston in February. I've lived in NYC and the outskirts of Boston, but it's been decades. We've been in Austin, TX or in California since the early aughts, and I'm a little uhhhh anxious about arriving in peak freezing season.

What should we have on hand for right away? Any brands or types of coats/jackets anyone can recommend? I don't want us to arrive with nothing to keep us warm, but I'm sure there are good, better, and best choices for layers, gloves, and...ugh, what else?

Besides that bit of concern, we're so thrilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 03:06 AM

92 posts, read 99,220 times
Hoodies or sweaters over T shirts short or long sleeved. Then down jackets/coats and wool mittens/gloves.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:20 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,016,782 times
Warm hats that cover your ears.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatetheworld View Post
Hi! My family of four (two teens + me and the husband) are moving to Skevanston in February. I've lived in NYC and the outskirts of Boston, but it's been decades. We've been in Austin, TX or in California since the early aughts, and I'm a little uhhhh anxious about arriving in peak freezing season.

What should we have on hand for right away? Any brands or types of coats/jackets anyone can recommend? I don't want us to arrive with nothing to keep us warm, but I'm sure there are good, better, and best choices for layers, gloves, and...ugh, what else?

The chicago area can be very cold or not so cold depending on the year.

https://abc7chicago.com/winter-outlo...wfall/8263565/

As for clothing, long sleeved shirts, long pants, sweaters or hoodies and then an outer layer. My jacket is a zerozposur from JC Penney and it works well. Gloves are a must and for the colder weather I wore mittens under my gloves. Good socks and boots for the snowy weather are a must for the snowy times as well.

The Jacket or coat should be long enough to cover your butt.

I love Evanston and lived there for over 30 years. It has excellent schools although they have more minority and poorer students so scores are not as good as some of the further north burbs. We were walking distance to the Lake and the beach which was a big plus for the summer. Both my children loved Evanston. My son did a lot of sports - both in school and in the park district. My daughter did art and theater at the high school and worked in theater for quite some time although she is working at something that pays more now (She is in the Boston area). DH and I are currently in the Houston area, but really would love to move north.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:33 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Get some down parkas at Lands End. You will eventually need them. They are having a big sale. They have all kinds.

Old 01-11-2021, 08:27 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
Welcome! I hope to see more Californians moving to Illinois. Was it the lower cost of living and ability to remote work that motivated your decision?

Old 01-11-2021, 08:56 PM

133 posts, read 291,606 times
Welcome! I am a native Skevanstonian I grew up there, and still live fairly close. You picked a great location and neighborhood. I agree with Toria T's suggestion of Lands End Parkas. I have one and it keeps me toasty, its the Expedition Parka, its kind of like a Canada Goose for a fraction of the price. They are having a 50% off sale now. Buy lots of hats, gloves and warm boots. Uggs are great when it is not snowing or wet. Sorel makes great waterproof boots and so does Cougar brand. Layer up and you will be fine. I am clearly biased, but enjoy Heavenston! The other three seasons are much more enjoyable weather wise, you may be in for a little shock at first. My California cousins are freezing if its below 60 out Ski gloves might help you! That being said, we are happy to have you. Good luck and stay warm and safe.

Last edited by 847mom; 01-11-2021 at 09:11 PM..

Old 01-12-2021, 10:17 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Regardless of the cold or not so cold, winter clothes are a necessity. Its always cold in winter, just sometimes more than others.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:47 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatetheworld View Post

I grew up in Orange County, CA and love Chicago. I am thrilled for you as well. A coat, hat and gloves are fine. I go bike riding every morning for 2 hours, yes even in January depending on the condition of the roads which this year have been outstanding, and you definitely get used to it.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 8,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 847mom View Post
Welcome! I am a native Skevanstonian I grew up there, and still live fairly close. You picked a great location and neighborhood. I agree with Toria T's suggestion of Lands End Parkas. I have one and it keeps me toasty, its the Expedition Parka, its kind of like a Canada Goose for a fraction of the price. They are having a 50% off sale now. Buy lots of hats, gloves and warm boots. Uggs are great when it is not snowing or wet. Sorel makes great waterproof boots and so does Cougar brand. Layer up and you will be fine. I am clearly biased, but enjoy Heavenston! The other three seasons are much more enjoyable weather wise, you may be in for a little shock at first. My California cousins are freezing if its below 60 out Ski gloves might help you! That being said, we are happy to have you. Good luck and stay warm and safe.
Thank you so much for all this! I'll get to shopping right away.

So in love with Skevanston, and hoping we'll be able to buy in that magical area. For three months we will be in a temporary rental. Our forever home will need to show up sometime between February and June! *crossing everything*

BTW we like Skokie itself, too. We're hoping for a "Skokie Baroque-y" cheesy un-renovated "time capsule" house with a wood-paneled basement, original kitchen and baths, and a big bonus for tacky wallpaper and shag carpet! I know we're weird but we love that look, and Skokie is rich with that inventory, it would seem. We'll be buying in the $300-400K range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs