U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2021, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 7,955 times

Advertisements

Hello! This website has been very helpful when looking where to move. I am looking to see if you had the choice to live in park ridge or elmhurst, which would you choose abs why. We are a young family with a 15 month old, looking for a great family atmosphere, but also close enough to downtown for work. Budget 750,000. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 08:10 AM

2,346 posts, read 1,374,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCook View Post
Hello! This website has been very helpful when looking where to move. I am looking to see if you had the choice to live in park ridge or elmhurst, which would you choose abs why. We are a young family with a 15 month old, looking for a great family atmosphere, but also close enough to downtown for work. Budget 750,000. Thank you!
Listings are likely sparse at the moment, but I would imagine your budget can get you a similar home in either town.

Elmhurst has a smidge larger of a downtown than Park Ridge, IMO, Park Ridge probably has slightly more airplane noise, but Elmhurst isn't exactly far from the airport, either. Schools are probably not significantly different based on data. Park Ridge is geographically connected to Chicago and technically also has a Blue Line a couple blocks from the south end of town, whereas Elmhurst is separated from Chicago by several suburbs.

I would say, where do you live now, where is your social circle and/or family, and do you foresee that proximity to that social circle/family is important? Maybe that's a deciding factor.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:04 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,717,987 times
Well, I had the choice between the two and we chose Park Ridge.

However, I have family in the area. Park Ridge is a great little city to live in. My wife grew up here and we came back. It seems to be common among her friends too. Most of them say that they will eventually move back to raise their families. I love it here!

Elmhurst is pretty great too though! I just feel like it's a bit less walkable. I also found the Blue Line into PR very helpful for after work events when the metra trains are only running once every hour.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:08 AM

9 posts, read 7,955 times
Thank you both! No family here so it isn’t a deciding factor. My husband works downtown so being able to walk to metra is the biggest factor!

Old 01-12-2021, 03:27 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,717,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCook View Post
Thank you both! No family here so it isn’t a deciding factor. My husband works downtown so being able to walk to metra is the biggest factor!
If family isn't a factor then I think you should take into account the following:

1) Home prices and availability of homes within your budget.
I believe Elmhurst will likely be more expensive than park ridge, but Elmhurst lots tend to be larger than many of those in Park Ridge. Both have varying degrees of older and newer homes.

2) Airplane noise
Both have Airplane noise but Park Ridge will likely be noisier. Especially in some areas that are walkable to the train like in the uptown train station. If you want to avoid the noise, then move closer to the Dee stop in Park Ridge if you do choose PR.

3) Schools
Both are equivalent in schooling too. Just make sure you aren't ending up somewhere that the schools aren't good. In Park Ridge, there really aren't any bad schools. I'm not sure about Elmhurst though. You can check school report cards (how they perform) on the Illinois State Board of Education site here: https://www.isbe.net/Pages/PublicSch...ictLookup.aspx

4) Dining and Nightlife
One thing I love about PR is that it's super close to Chicago's Edison Park neighbordhood. I love Edison Park for their restaurants. PR Has some great ones too! Elmhursts downtown is probably similar but it feels more suburban whereas PR feels city.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:49 AM

169 posts, read 37,709 times
Elmhurst and park ridge are both nice it matters what house you can get for the better price.Elmhurst and park ridge are better than suburbs around of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: