U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 349 times

Advertisements

Ok, here it goes. I currently live in Broadview, IL, on a little pocket, considered the nice part, which borders Lagrange park on one side, and North riverside on the other. This area that i live on feeds into the Komarek School District in North Riverside, and Riverside-Brookfield HS. Ok, so here is my dilemma. When i moved into my house (about , 6 years ago) i was recently married, with no kids. The location was perfect as it was close to both my husband's and my job. The house we bought was completely updated and so much bigger than anything we saw in Brookfield, or North Riverside at the time for our price point 220k. Fast forward to now, we have two kids under 5 and plan to have another in the near future.

My problem with where we live is not feeling a sense of community. My kids don't attend school in Broadview (schools pretty bad in broadview anyway). The Broadview park district offers absolutely nothing for the kids. So we literally don't use anything in Broadview and that really bothers me. La grange park park district is actually closer to me in proximity than north riverside park district, and i want to sign up my kids for activities there, but fear that La grange park residents will be annoyed that i am using their facilities, even though i would need to pay a non resident surcharge for said activities.

I don't know if the above is sufficient enough for me to move more west, say downer's grove or similar. My budget would be $350k for a home, which i don't know if that would get me an updated home like the one that i am currently in. My home now is 1,700 square feet. If i were to move, i would want at least a 2,000 square foot home. Browsing through redfin, i noticed that downer's grove schools are not rated better than the schools mentioned above (Komarek, Riverside-Brookfield).

Any advice, opinions, suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 04:31 PM

172 posts, read 37,709 times
Montiv, You should move to la grange, elmhurst, Norridge, Schiller park or westmont.Elmhurst has really good schools and it has big historic houses.

Old 01-15-2021, 03:44 AM

3,972 posts, read 9,234,412 times
Why not move to North Riverside east of Des Plaines, there you will find the park district, library, fire and police stations fairly close. Also if I’m not mistaken that part of North Riverside feeds into Riverside’s Ames, Hauser, and Riverside Brookfield schools. Downtown Riverside isn’t too far, although not as popular as other downtowns along the BNSF line it’s still pretty neat and you also have access to the riverwalk. The Zoo is just minutes away along with nearby forest preserves. For the price I think it’s a safe working class suburb, with access to slightly to above average schools.

I guess the issue is in North Riverside is finding a 2000sq ft house.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:24 AM

499 posts, read 411,578 times
You could probably find a nice house meeting most of your requirements for about 350k in LGP or Brookfield. Not sure how much you'll be able to sell your current house for though.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:18 AM

14 posts, read 5,788 times
Not to say that you should or shouldn't move, but I really don't think that LGP residents will give two hoots about you using their park district, especially given that you live so close to it! The only reason I think it would matter is that, in many towns, kids' recreational sports (Little League, soccer, basketball, etc) try to group kids together on teams by school. So if your kids don't go to a LGP school, they might be placed on a team where all the other kids know each other from elementary school. Not the end of the world, but just saying that's really the only time in which I could see it mattering that you're not a LGP resident in terms of park district usage.

All of that said, I think that if you're going to move, now would be the ideal time. Before the kids start elementary school.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:42 PM

La grange is way better than lgp. Also what hs district do you live in is it proviso?

Old 01-18-2021, 12:54 AM

3,972 posts, read 9,234,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoisthebest View Post
La grange is way better than lgp. Also what hs district do you live in is it proviso?
Riverside Brookfield

Old thread, //www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ange-park.html

Wouldn’t say that LG is much better than LGP, perhaps a bit more modest slightly above Westchester because of schools.

Last edited by noid_1985; 01-18-2021 at 01:59 AM..

Old 01-18-2021, 07:00 AM

2,347 posts, read 1,374,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoisthebest View Post
If you live in LGP west of LaGrange Road and north of Ogden the only difference is that you can get an equivalent house to LaGrange but for slightly less money.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:11 AM

She should not move if she lives in riverside Brookfield district. That area of broad view is probably equivalent to la grange park.she bought that house for a good price she should keep the house. You could just use lgp park district.

Last edited by Chicagoisthebest; 01-18-2021 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-19-2021, 07:50 AM

132 posts, read 58,733 times
I work primarily in this price range, and it’s increasingly difficult to find homes like the one you describe wanting in downers or any of the dupage suburbs for less than 350. I’m having a heck of a time with some clients I’m helping right now. The ones that are listed are selling like hot cakes with multiple offers in many cases.

If you like your house, kids school, adjacent communities etc, it doesn’t sound like the worst idea to stay. I’m sure you won’t be the only non-resident using the park district, and your kids will probably know many of the other participants from school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs