Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 04:33 PM

223 posts, read 170,197 times

Advertisements

Curly q bobalink, Crime spilling in from Chicago? Do not act like Burbank was a nice suburb to begin with and that is because Burbank sits right outside form Ford city mall.

Second, Oak lawn does not even border the “hoods” of Chicago. Oak lawn borders mount greenwood which is not dangerous. When you go from Beverly you see these beautiful old historical houses and when you go a mile west to Burbank, oak lawn or evergreen park you see these old 60’s looking ranch houses. I know looks is not everything but those suburbs are not that nice either lately they are cheaper and Beverly or mount greenwood has not become a hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 09:41 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoisthebest View Post
Curly q bobalink, Crime spilling in from Chicago? Do not act like Burbank was a nice suburb to begin with and that is because Burbank sits right outside form Ford city mall.

Second, Oak lawn does not even border the “hoods” of Chicago. Oak lawn borders mount greenwood which is not dangerous. When you go from Beverly you see these beautiful old historical houses and when you go a mile west to Burbank, oak lawn or evergreen park you see these old 60’s looking ranch houses. I know looks is not everything but those suburbs are not that nice either lately they are cheaper and Beverly or mount greenwood has not become a hood.
Please. If you built a fifty foot tall wall from Matteson to Oak Park, with metal detectors and warrant-checks (in both directions) at the through-points, do you think that crime would go up, or down, in the inner-ring suburbs? The funeral-home shooting last year was what, maybe four or five miles east of Cicero on 79th? Glaciers move slowly, but eventually scour away everything in their path.

BTW, Oak Lawn covers a lot of territory, it borders more than one Chicago neighborhood, and probably six or seven other suburbs. Beverly is not a "hood" because that's where Chicagoans with money move to (especially those whose jobs have residency requirements), same with Mount Greenwood, and the residents fight hard to keep them that way, they are islands in a sea of Chicago South Side poopypants. The crime rate has always been higher as one went east from Cicero Ave., but the old "buffer" neighborhoods (Scottsdale, Chicago Lawn, Marquette Park, etc.) have definitely gotten worse over the last forty years with respect to poverty, crime, business vacancies, and safety - Marquette Park is probably the best example of this. Why? Primarily, the loss of manufacturing jobs that a young person with little education could support themselves with, I used to be one of them in the 1970's. If you have some other "progressive" way to judge a neighborhood's desirability, I'm all ears. Would YOU personally spend your own money to open up a business in Englewood today? If not, why not?

Old 01-20-2021, 04:18 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Alot of negative stuff going on in this thread. IMO Oak Lawn is fine, and has redeveloped its core much nicer than it was. I have relatives that live in Palos Heights, and the market there has been very strong; the house one block away from them was on the market as a fixer in the area of 400k and got multiple offers and sold for over asking last week. We just sold my in-laws house in Orland in October, again sold in one day for 30% more than the same model across the street sold last year, and we sold by owner without fixing it up.

the SW suburbs are some great towns, and there are opportunities I am sure to buy a fixer with good bones and make some money. I think of all the towns you listed, the Palos' are your best bet.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:51 AM

Curly q bobalink, Yes the crime might go down but still with Cicero there still would be a lot of crime. A lot of Cicero residents cause the crime also. The crime always has been east of Cicero? Cicero it’s self is a hood.

I would Not open a store in Engle wood i would also not open a store in Cicero, Burbank, maywood because of crime or people not buying. Those suburbs are getting more crime lately. The only reason thugs from Chicago would go 5 miles west to the suburbs is because those suburbs have gang problems. Oak lawn only borders one Chicago neighborhood and Scottsdale is a nice neighborhood.

Last edited by Chicagoisthebest; 01-20-2021 at 09:14 AM..

Old 01-20-2021, 11:55 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoisthebest View Post

I would Not open a store in Engle wood i would also not open a store in Cicero, Burbank, maywood because of crime or people not buying.
Burbank has almost nothing in common with Cicero, Englewood or Maywood.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:21 PM

I meant Berwyn my mistake

Old 01-21-2021, 05:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecommutingSteve View Post
I've actually been to MVCC events before, small world! Was yeaaaars ago though.

Anyway, will check out Orland, just haven't seen as much in the way of housing that interested us there. I'm looking for a project with fairly good bones at worst, but something I'll still be able to squeeze some fairly immediate equity out of while I'm home during COVID.
Have you considered Lemont? It is a bit farther out, but very affordable with a cute little downtown and good access to the forest preserves. It has more older homes that you can fix up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs