Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2021, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,609 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I recently got a job in Schaumburg, IL 60173 and I plan to move there either next week or from 1st Feb 2020. I have never been to Illinois before, I am currently living in Texas. I am planning to rent an apartment and my main needs are:-

* that it should be in within a 15, 20 minute drive from my office,
* should be in a safe neighborhood, preferably where other Indians live,
* Located close to grocery stores, Indian stores, restaurants, and other facilities,
* My preferred monthly rent is around 500-750$, so I was planning to get a 2 Bedroom apartment and split the cost with a roommate, so any 2 bedroom apartment around 100-1700$ range
* Parking facility
* Clean apartments, with working utilities, heating, indoors washer dryer etc.

I am looking at Schaumburg itself or Elk Grove, Arlington Heights

I am a single guy in my mid 20's and I have previously lived in a densely populated urban city my whole life. Would prefer living somewhere that's more like that compared to a suburb.

I am open to any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 08:26 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
There are Indian restaurants and stores all over Schaumburg. In fact I'm pretty sure Patel Brothers is headquartered there and in any case they have a large store there. There are also lots of smaller Indian (or generally South Asian) oriented convenience stores all around. As for where to live, most South Asians in Schaumburg seem to be clustered around the western part of the city, west of Springingsguth Road and along the Schaumburg Road corridor. Not sure how many are Indian versus other parts of South Asia though; quite a few seem to hail from Pakistan.

That said it's not a very "urban" area, it's pretty typical post-war suburbia. Same goes for Elk Grove and Arlington Heights. A dense urban environment and a 15 to 20 minute commute to Schaumburg are pretty much at odds with each other, especially if you want an area with a lot of other Indians. The main South Asian neighborhood in Chicago proper is only a couple miles from the lake so it would be a challenging commute.

Also, I'd suggest you up your rental budget a bit. $1500/mo is an optimistic entry price for a decent-quality, habitable 2-bedroom in the area. I'd bump that up to $1700/mo.

ETA: Just looked it up, Patel Brothers is headquartered in a neighboring suburb (Hanover Park) and not in Schaumburg. Close enough.

Last edited by Bitey; 01-16-2021 at 08:43 PM..

Old 01-16-2021, 11:50 PM

Thank you for letting me know. I actually found a couple of apartments near Schaumburg that had 2 Bed 1.X bath for around $1500, such as

Village Green of Schaumburg,
Remington Place Apartments,
Village in the Park Apartments,
International Village Schaumburg,
The Eagles Apartments,
Willow Crossing,
Cypress Place,

So I wanted to see if anyone has any idea about what these places are like, cause the reviews range from 1 start to 5 stars and it's hard to judge a place without actually seeing it first.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:56 PM

732 posts, read 484,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghos3t View Post
Thank you for letting me know. I actually found a couple of apartments near Schaumburg that had 2 Bed 1.X bath for around $1500, such as

Village Green of Schaumburg,
Remington Place Apartments,
Village in the Park Apartments,
International Village Schaumburg,
The Eagles Apartments,
Willow Crossing,
Cypress Place,

So I wanted to see if anyone has any idea about what these places are like, cause the reviews range from 1 start to 5 stars and it's hard to judge a place without actually seeing it first.

Hey Ghos3t, the only one I know is Intl Village over there on Algonquin & Meacham because I used to live near there. I don't know about the complex itself and but the area is great. You're near a lot of shopping and the highway is nearby. Also, the area is safe, clean, and looks nice.

There are a lot of indians in the northwest suburbs of Chicago in general, you won't feel out of place anywhere around there. Good luck on the search!

Old 01-18-2021, 12:33 AM

Thank you for the reply, I agree the area near Intl Village does seem good, although I am currently leaning towards Village Green of Schaumburg apartments, cause I have heard good things about them from someone and the reviews are also pretty good. Will be taking virtual tours of the following apartments on Monday and making a final decision, then I have to find a roommate, which feels like a whole other task in itself.

Village Green of Schaumburg
Remington Place Apartments
The Eagles Apartments
Cypress Place
Fieldpoint of Schaumburg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs