Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 08:08 AM

69 posts, read 77,539 times

Advertisements

I realize that when they salt probably depends upon the weather and when storms come. I plan to be in Kane County March through October this year. Should I expect that some roads will have salt? If so, we may bring our beater car to avoid getting salt on our newer car. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 11:54 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,181,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsDogsSun View Post
I realize that when they salt probably depends upon the weather and when storms come. I plan to be in Kane County March through October this year. Should I expect that some roads will have salt? If so, we may bring our beater car to avoid getting salt on our newer car. Thanks.
It rarely snows in October, but we had light snow around Halloween each of the last couple years. Prior to 2019, I don't remember snow in October since 1994.

It will occasionally snow in March and isn't very surprising. Doesn't always happen though.

There was a little snow in mid-April in 2018 and 2020, but I can't exactly remember when it last did prior to 2018, probably 2014 with the polar vortex.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:40 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsDogsSun View Post
They only salt depending on the forecasted temperature, not the time of year. It is highly likely that there will be events in MARCH and APRIL that will require salting. There is usually a frost or snow event by the end of October in northern Illinois.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:08 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
It rarely snows in October, but we had light snow around Halloween each of the last couple years. Prior to 2019, I don't remember snow in October since 1994.

It will occasionally snow in March and isn't very surprising. Doesn't always happen though.

There was a little snow in mid-April in 2018 and 2020, but I can't exactly remember when it last did prior to 2018, probably 2014 with the polar vortex.
Pretty much, IMHO - Chicago's winter runs pretty close to "traditional" calendar winter, running from Dec. 21st through March 20th. But I've seen some wicked winter weather on in early December and late March. Much rarer, but still possible, significant snow in late November and early April.

OP, where do you live now that you don't deal with road salt? I remember them "sanding" the roads in central Wisconsin, but believe the interstates were still salted. Are you coming up from the south?

Old 02-02-2021, 05:01 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
For such a short period of time I wouldn't worry about salt damage to a car. I lived in the Chicago area for decades, including Kane County, and never had salt damage to a car. When it gets dirty from road salt and dirt one goes to the car wash on the first nicer day.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:27 AM

247 posts, read 236,503 times
Lifelong Chicagoan here... There’s usually some snow/ice in March, and frequently in April; less common in October but it does happen. The good news is that road salt doesn’t damage cars. Maybe you’re thinking of sea / ocean salt?

Old 02-02-2021, 06:36 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPRFmama View Post
Lifelong Chicagoan here... There’s usually some snow/ice in March, and frequently in April; less common in October but it does happen. The good news is that road salt doesn’t damage cars. Maybe you’re thinking of sea / ocean salt?
"Road salt doesn't damage cars", what universe are you living in?

https://www.erieinsurance.com/blog/road-salt

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/reali...lt-really-car/

https://thenewswheel.com/winter-weat...-rust-on-cars/

Old 02-02-2021, 07:02 AM

529 posts, read 647,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah but in a day it gets above freezing, just run your car through a wash be sure the underside gets rinsed as well and you really won't have any issues

Old 02-02-2021, 09:00 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Much rarer, but still possible, significant snow in late November and early April.

Yep....like the foot of snow we got the weekend before Thanksgiving in 2015. And the 5 to 8 inches in mid April two years ago. You just never know around here. It even snows about 25% of the years in May, but those are usually just dustings. But it can make roads and sidewalks slick.

Old 02-03-2021, 04:56 AM

247 posts, read 236,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ever hear of a car wash? They operate year round and are really good at cleaning salt off your car so no damage occurs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs