U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2021, 01:31 PM

9 posts, read 2,473 times

Advertisements

Hey! We just finalized the paperwork on our 1967 time capsule house in Highland Park, a mile or so west of Ravinia. We're about to be the weird neighbors in the area, ha ha.

We're thrift shopping enthusiasts who hope to bedeck or sixties ranch with vintage furnishings of the era. Also committed to shopping used for clothing, housewares, etc. for the concomitant benefits to wallet and environment.

My question: where do you all shop in the North Shore for NON-antique-priced vintage? I know I can look up thrift stores on Google, but sometimes the best ones are the hardest to find online. I'm kind of assuming we'll need to look west of Schaumburg, etc. to get anything not super luxury that caters to the high-end market.

Obviously I follow FB marketplace closely, and have joined local garage sale news FB groups, etc.

Wish us luck...we're in that awful stage wherein most of our stuff is piled around us in boxes. So eager to get there!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 10:17 PM

2,472 posts, read 1,564,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatetheworld View Post
Hey! We just finalized the paperwork on our 1967 time capsule house in Highland Park, a mile or so west of Ravinia. We're about to be the weird neighbors in the area, ha ha.

We're thrift shopping enthusiasts who hope to bedeck or sixties ranch with vintage furnishings of the era. Also committed to shopping used for clothing, housewares, etc. for the concomitant benefits to wallet and environment.

My question: where do you all shop in the North Shore for NON-antique-priced vintage? I know I can look up thrift stores on Google, but sometimes the best ones are the hardest to find online. I'm kind of assuming we'll need to look west of Schaumburg, etc. to get anything not super luxury that caters to the high-end market.

Obviously I follow FB marketplace closely, and have joined local garage sale news FB groups, etc.

Wish us luck...we're in that awful stage wherein most of our stuff is piled around us in boxes. So eager to get there!
I don't thrift shop. However, Evanston seems to have more consignment and thrift shops than just about anywhere else in the area. I'd start by looking there. Pop-up resale shops also open up from time-to-time.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:05 PM

178 posts, read 125,769 times
Check out estate sales.net

Old 01-31-2021, 11:15 AM

90 posts, read 64,126 times
There’s a neighborhood based app where people list things they don’t want any more, sometimes for free. People also post things they’re looking for.

You didn’t ask for city sources, but, if you go a little south of Evanston, Andersonville has a few stores that are between thrift and antique. There are no steals on designer MCM items in great condition, but they have factory furniture from that era that’s in good shape. If you’re buying a large item or two they might give you a discount or throw in a lamp.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:49 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,593,698 times
There is a mid century modern facebook page to follow. You can get a lot of info there.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:43 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,910,520 times
There are a few such stores, listed here that are within the 'North Shore' suburbs. Not sure which ones are still open: https://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-H...e-North-Shore/

I also found this one in Glencoe, and they also have a location at Old Orchard and the 900 N. Michigan mall:

https://northshoreexchange.org/

Good luck, hope you do find some places selling these items. And if you do head south to Andersonville, Broadway Antique Market is fun to browse as well. Note they are located on Broadway and NOT Clark, and as of now(Feb. 2021) are open Friday-Sunday.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:14 PM

115 posts, read 249,804 times
Congratulations on your new home! It's awesome that you're embracing the vintage vibe. I don't thrift a lot but love vintage cookbooks so I find myself at a fair number of estate sales. Check out estatesales.net if you haven't already. You'll find cool home items, furniture, etc for a lot cheaper than a consignment store or antique store. Often these stores shop the estate sales and sell the items at a higher price. Also get the Nextdoor app. People are often giving furniture away if you'll come pick it up.

Have fun making your house YOUR home!!

Old Today, 11:44 AM

6 posts, read 4,954 times
If you're looking for high quality furniture of that era, check Broadway Antique market in Edgewater. It's not going to be cheap but you pay a premium for a very well selected and maintained choice of furniture, almost all 60s decor. You can't really beat it in terms of selection or quality. I know you said "non-antique priced" but if you are interested in that era of furniture you have to check out this place, at least for ideas.

If you are looking for cheap stores with much less refined selection, there are many antique stores on the sides of highways as you head up north into WI.

Last edited by twentyfive_fiftynine; Today at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs