Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM

177 posts, read 543,792 times

Advertisements

hello,

I'm 24 years old and fresh out of grad school. Grew up in Miami, FL. I'm not ruling out going further out into the burbs, but i want to be informed about everything first. Evanston seems like a really nice place... at least from what i saw when i was up there.

I'll just list my questions

1) It seems that "south" Evanston is to be avoided. My question is, how much north from say south Blvd or oakton do you have to go, to not be on the sketchy side of Evanston.

2) is the area with in Main st, Kedzie ave, Sheridan and chicago ave ok? AS far as crime goes?

3) what is the parking situation in general? Free? Neighborhood decals? Garages? how much would one expect to pay?

4) I've heard that apparently Chicagoland in general can be quite mean to interracial couples. What are your thoughts on that statement?

5) It seems very hard to find an apartment with central AC in Evanston? I have pets. I really must be able to control the temperature of my apartment. It seems like most places in Evanston are vintage (aka no ac). what do you guys think?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:49 PM

24 posts, read 155,739 times
You really need to look around Evanston. Some parts of South Evanston can be fine, and some parts can be rough. It's central Evanston that is the poorest area. Northwest Evanston is the most suburban--mostly families.

There are many new apartment buildings going up in Evanston now. Depending upon your budget, they might work for you. Much of the rental housing is old and wouldn't have central air. Some condos for rent have SpacePac (retrofitted central air in older buildings, works well).

Downtown and areas around the University (Northwestern, of course) have more crime than the northern part of Evanston.

You buy a sticker from the city to park in zoned areas on the street overnight. Don't know about garages. Some rentals have garages.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:25 AM

any takers on my other questions

Old 05-11-2008, 08:29 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,508 times
Hi Crazy - I'll try to answer your other questions....

You are correct that there are some areas of South Evanston that aren't safe. I would say that the area from South Blvd North to Dempster (and further North), East of Chicago Avenue to the Lake is perfectly fine. As a 24 year old you may really enjoy that area, lots of young people - singles, couples, families etc.

Parking is mixed, there are areas where you have to have a decal that shows you live in the area. In these areas you have to give your visitors a parking pass so that they wont be ticketed when they are parked in your area. Other areas have on street parking for free, but you better know when street cleaning happens or your car will be towed. If street cleaning is at 9:00 a.m. the city will go through the neighborhood with a loud speaker as a reminder to move your car if you haven't. Those tow trucks are minutes behind the announcement so you better move your car or pay the fine.

As for buildings in Evanston, most are vintage and take window units. These are a pain to install and take out as the seasons change, but do the job to keep your place cool for you and your pets. When we had window units we usually got by with one in the main living area and in the bedroom. Be sure to close the shades to help keep out the heat.

Ok - now your question about interracial couples. This is my opinion having grown up in Evanston. I always had friends from many races and religions. When I was in highschool (82-86) interracial dating was very normal and no one blinked an eye (kids, teachers). When I would go to the beach I would see all kinds of families. My best friend's son is bi-racial. In my opinion Evanston is a community where interracial couples can feel comfortable. I have another friend who is Puerto Rican and Yugoslavian and is married to a man who is Filipino and European American. They have three children and can afford to live anywhere on the Northshore and I mean anywhere, and they chose to stay in Evanston because they wanted their children to be in a community that would embrace their diversity.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:18 AM

37 posts, read 195,758 times
I agree with Calidreamer

stay east of Chicago Ave and you're fine.

there are some newer bldgs with central air but the majority are older with window units

there may be areas of Chicago where inter-racial couples may be looked down on but that is probably changing. Evanston, of all places, is very inter-racially friendly. I have family on the southside who live in the "white enclaves" and they are probably the most small-townish of all the Chicagoans I know.

let me say that I grew up in Evanston where we dated inter-racially in the 80s and I moved to Orlando in the 90s. That was the first time I ever saw a KKK baseball bat on the dash of someone's pickup truck. !

Old 05-12-2008, 09:31 AM

Hey Lady we probably know some of the same people if you were in HS in the 80's. That's the other thing about Evanston, it's not a small city, but people do manage to know each other.

Last edited by Calidreemer; 05-12-2008 at 10:34 AM..

Old 05-12-2008, 05:30 PM

Thanks for answering my questions. Very helpful answers.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:32 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times
Are all areas west of Chicago bad in Evanston? I came across some nice new places on Church Street, west of downtown (beside Mason Park)... would that be a bad area?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:02 PM

Hockey Fan not all areas West of Chicago Avenue are bad, I was just trying to give the OP some neighborhood boundaries. I can't recall where Mason Park is - is this the park that is near Hines Lumber company? On the East side of the trax? I just can't picture it. If you know the exact streets I can tell you what I think.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:37 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times
Thanks -- it's six blocks west of Chicago Avenue on Church Street -- a Google Earth search confirms it is across from the Hines Lumber company at Church and Florence Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs