Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2021, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,953 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the North Shore this spring/summer. We currently live on the East Coast. I grew up in the North Shore, and we still have family there. My oldest child is on the Spectrum, and will need an IEP for social help. She already reads, does basic addition, tells time, etc. I have talked with some professionals in Chicago area and they have recommended Northbrook and Glencoe public schools. Does anyone have experience with these school districts or recommend another school district in the area? Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 03:39 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL87 View Post
My family and I are moving to the North Shore this spring/summer. We currently live on the East Coast. I grew up in the North Shore, and we still have family there. My oldest child is on the Spectrum, and will need an IEP for social help. She already reads, does basic addition, tells time, etc. I have talked with some professionals in Chicago area and they have recommended Northbrook and Glencoe public schools. Does anyone have experience with these school districts or recommend another school district in the area? Thank you so much.
If you're from here, I think you know that all of the districts covering the North Shore are very well-resourced and perform well by most objective metrics. I don't have firsthand knowledge of special education. But, I'm not aware of anything that would make Northbrook stand out over Deerfield or Glencoe over Evanston/Skokie, for example.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:48 PM

I agree that for regular education that the school districts are similar. But I have heard that for IEPs that the districts can differ. Thank you for insight.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:29 PM

223 posts, read 170,197 times
JL87, I checked the illinois report card and students with IEP’s in New trier preform well compared to other high schools.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:59 PM

93 posts, read 90,718 times
It’s only anecdotal, but I also understand Northbrook & Glencoe are great places for kids with learning differences. Also Northfield, but I don’t remember which district(s). Deerfield is also worth considering. The relatively small high school could be a plus, or not.

Kenilworth has incredible resources, and its one school is a k-8, but not everyone is comfortable with the level of wealth among parents. It’s harder to help a kid learn social skills when you don’t feel like you belong is how someone explained it to me.

Winnetka’s wealth is lower-key, and, again anecdotal, they do a good job addressing social and emotional needs.

At some point, because of enrollment. Glencoe did away with separate k-5 elementary schools feeding into a middle school. Instead—I think, check this—there's one school for k-2, another school is grades 3-4 & the middle school is 5-8. People say this structure builds community among the kids which is helpful for when they go to new trier.

Do look at the high school programs. In spite of its rep for being a pressure cooker as far as college admissions, New Trier is supposed to be a good place for kids with autism.

Some neuropsychologists, SLPs and OTs are very tuned into strengths of various schools. Some schools are great with certain issues, not so great with others. I think you’ve gotten good advice, but I wouldn’t be shy about pressing professionals with whom you’ve worked to check in with colleagues on the north shore.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:21 AM

Thank you for your insight. It was very helpful going through the Illinois’s report cards.. I spoke with local professionals that collaborate with many of the districts to form IEPs and they recommended Glencoe, Northbrook, and Winnetka. But I also think that other districts might also have great resources and wanted to see if anyone else had personal experiences. I have also heard that New Trier is wonderful for children with Autism. I am glad that others have heard this too.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:25 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Glenview/Northbrook. I would steer clear of Deerfield. I understand they are not even back in school. We are in Glenview and both my kids have IEP's. My only gripe is the constant turnover when the young women go on maternity leave. It's only a big problem if you need consistency. With my one kid, I don't care so much. My other one is very hard and I feel she needs the consistency but sure enough, the young woman who I requested not to get went on maternity leave.

I have a friend who moved here specifically for that purpose. Her son has autism. I think it was fine until we weren't in school. She was beside herself. We are in school now and they seem committed to keeping them open.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 901 times
I am also moving to Northshore area where I grew up. My son is on the autism spectrum, and a Sophomore in a Texas highschool where they are “social promoting” him with inadequate support.
It’s overwhelming how to decide where to move.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:57 AM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar832 View Post
I am also moving to Northshore area where I grew up. My son is on the autism spectrum, and a Sophomore in a Texas highschool where they are “social promoting” him with inadequate support.
It’s overwhelming how to decide where to move.
Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:49 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL87 View Post
Many North Shore districts align with NSSED.. The partnership allows these districts to utilize additional Special Education services and support mechanisms on top of what you would expect from a "typical" well regarded district. I think it will be very hard to try and determine which one is better than the others. Might come down to preference, neighborhood within the district you like, budget, etc.

I know District 28 in Northbrook has very well regarded occupational and physical therapists, psychologists etc. The District works to align with Autism Speaks, Autism Society, CDC as far as guidance is concerned. District 28 also has a program called Young Explorers, which brings together students with disabilities to help with confidence, provide an additional community, and focuses on making learning more interesting.

My understanding is that the Hersey District in Arlington Heights is extremely well regarded to it's Special Education programs. So may be worth considering, as well.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs