U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,290 posts, read 5,179,994 times
Reputation: 4100

Advertisements

Are there any non-religious private schools near Elmhurst? My daughter is supposed to start school in the fall and D205 is a mess. I don't want her first impression of school to be that it's some sort of prison where it's freezing cold (open windows) and you can't talk to or play with other kids. So, there's a very good chance that the schools in Elmhurst won't work for her.

Meanwhile, I am not religious. I've never been to church. I have no problem enrolling my kid in a religious school, but the ones I've talked to require that you attend a church (a church recommendation is required). I feel as though it is not ethical to say I attend church when I don't and I don't really have any desire to do so.

So, where does that leave parents like me? I can't just quit my job because I own a small business. If I close the business 23 people lose their jobs. My husband cannot teach while working from home. I feel so trapped and the real killer is that part of the reason we moved to Elmhurst was for the "good schools."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM
 
12,100 posts, read 3,548,090 times
Reputation: 10193
I hear you. We have 'good schools' as well but it has turned out that they are just training them to be social justice activists. I would consider any private school for that reason. We are looking into moving out of Illinois. Good luck. Do you pay your 23 employees minimum wage, by any chance?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,290 posts, read 5,179,994 times
Reputation: 4100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I hear you. We have 'good schools' as well but it has turned out that they are just training them to be social justice activists. I would consider any private school for that reason. We are looking into moving out of Illinois. Good luck. Do you pay your 23 employees minimum wage, by any chance?
Everyone here makes more than minimum wage. I wish I could move out, I would already be in Florida now if I could... with or without my husband at this point. I hate this place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
 
2,164 posts, read 1,084,584 times
Reputation: 2891
https://www.nl.edu/colleges/nationalcollegeofeducation/
I'd give them a call, I attended grade school in their Evanston facility; but this was a LONG time ago.
Not sure if they're still operating private K-8(you didn't mention child's age)educational facilities.
Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
 
2,164 posts, read 1,084,584 times
Reputation: 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Everyone here makes more than minimum wage. I wish I could move out, I would already be in Florida now if I could... with or without my husband at this point. I hate this place.

Resided on both coasts of Floriduh for over a decade, if you'd like a laundry list of reasons not to: PM me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Evanston, Lake Forest, and Wrigleyville, Illinois
2,486 posts, read 1,573,685 times
Reputation: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Are there any non-religious private schools near Elmhurst? My daughter is supposed to start school in the fall and D205 is a mess. I don't want her first impression of school to be that it's some sort of prison where it's freezing cold (open windows) and you can't talk to or play with other kids. So, there's a very good chance that the schools in Elmhurst won't work for her.

Meanwhile, I am not religious. I've never been to church. I have no problem enrolling my kid in a religious school, but the ones I've talked to require that you attend a church (a church recommendation is required). I feel as though it is not ethical to say I attend church when I don't and I don't really have any desire to do so.

So, where does that leave parents like me? I can't just quit my job because I own a small business. If I close the business 23 people lose their jobs. My husband cannot teach while working from home. I feel so trapped and the real killer is that part of the reason we moved to Elmhurst was for the "good schools."
Avery Coonley is the famously top-notch secular school that I'm aware of in the western suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I hear you. We have 'good schools' as well but it has turned out that they are just training them to be social justice activists. I would consider any private school for that reason. We are looking into moving out of Illinois. Good luck. Do you pay your 23 employees minimum wage, by any chance?
Don't be shocked about the private schools' leftist activism either, however. I've noticed that an administrator at my alma mater has one of those left-wing signs perched behind her when she's on the Zoom calls from her campus office. I mentioned it to the headmaster, who is apparently called the 'head of school' now, and they acted like I was crazy for pointing out that these signs were political in nature. SignsofJustice.org is a left-wing organization. While I don't think teachers should be muzzled, I also don't think that children should be taught ideological politics so matter of factly. It certainly was not that way when I was in that school 10-15 years ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,290 posts, read 5,179,994 times
Reputation: 4100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Avery Coonley is the famously top-notch secular school that I'm aware of in the western suburbs.
Thanks! That would add a huge commute to my day, but honestly, it would be worth it if it meant real school. It looks like the school is for gifted kids and while my husband and I were both in gifted programs, I don't know if our daughter is there yet. I guess I will apply and find out. We are both in Mensa, so it's not a huge stretch to think she could be, too, right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Evanston, Lake Forest, and Wrigleyville, Illinois
2,486 posts, read 1,573,685 times
Reputation: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Thanks! That would add a huge commute to my day, but honestly, it would be worth it if it meant real school. It looks like the school is for gifted kids and while my husband and I were both in gifted programs, I don't know if our daughter is there yet. I guess I will apply and find out. We are both in Mensa, so it's not a huge stretch to think she could be, too, right?
I imagine your daughter would be far from the only child commuting there from Elmhurst. I don't know if ACS has a bus now, but that might be something to consider too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,290 posts, read 5,179,994 times
Reputation: 4100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I imagine your daughter would be far from the only child commuting there from Elmhurst. I don't know if ACS has a bus now, but that might be something to consider too.
Yeah, who knows. I don't know if she would really get in based on what I am reading. The tuition is pretty scary as well. I know we won't get any financial aid, but I still wasn't planning on spending $30,000/year on school in addition to our crazy taxes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Evanston, Lake Forest, and Wrigleyville, Illinois
2,486 posts, read 1,573,685 times
Reputation: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Yeah, who knows. I don't know if she would really get in based on what I am reading. The tuition is pretty scary as well. I know we won't get any financial aid, but I still wasn't planning on spending $30,000/year on school in addition to our crazy taxes.
The parochial schools are usually significantly less expensive. I will say that the tuition inflation has not been nearly as bad as I would have expected. It's not far off from where it was at most schools 10-15 years ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top