U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 02:51 PM
Status: "And just like that, Covid was gone." (set 28 days ago)

8,230 posts, read 7,110,465 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be a refugee and i will leave chicago, no need to live in the city to be close to work, no need to pay the high rent because the amenities that you live for in chicago are not accessible, but they are starting to open, but still nothing is sure. i dont need the high rent and the traffic for something that is not like it was before. you can get a lot more apartment for the same money in chicago.. actually less expensive in suburbs for many excellent apartments. all the crime happening, in the city, i can live in a far better place that is nicer. less crime. no parking meters. no city sticker. easy to get to restaurants - just drive up in the parking lot and voila!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 05:13 PM

3,296 posts, read 5,198,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I'm going to be a refugee and i will leave chicago, no need to live in the city to be close to work, no need to pay the high rent because the amenities that you live for in chicago are not accessible, but they are starting to open, but still nothing is sure. i dont need the high rent and the traffic for something that is not like it was before. you can get a lot more apartment for the same money in chicago.. actually less expensive in suburbs for many excellent apartments. all the crime happening, in the city, i can live in a far better place that is nicer. less crime. no parking meters. no city sticker. easy to get to restaurants - just drive up in the parking lot and voila!
A lot of suburbs still have city stickers, unfortunately. Elmhurst does. Bloomingdale also did when I lived there years ago.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:42 PM

6,738 posts, read 3,158,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
A lot of suburbs still have city stickers, unfortunately. Elmhurst does. Bloomingdale also did when I lived there years ago.
I think almost all of Cook County requires stickers. Once you get out into the other counties, it varies. A lot of places also have parking that is somewhat lacking in the city/village center. They don’t call Oak Park “No Park” for no reason.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:07 PM

48 posts, read 29,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
IMO - the answer is yes. The walkable ones with nice business cores were always doing good but now seams like even more people are leaving the city in favor of vibrant burbs. Anyone else have thoughts here?

Would love agents to chime in with data or experienced pulse they feel.
Do you mean growing in population? I'm not sure that's the case... might be a little bit early for hard population data, but I'm betting population in the metro area suburbs are flat-to-declining based on recent trends over the past few year, pre-covid.

Are prices appreciating? Yes there is enough evidence to prove that already.

There's been a lack of inventory as baby boomers shelter in place during covid. I'm willing to bet more suburban inventory will hit the market later this spring and summer, so we'll see how well prices hold up later in 2021 and beyond, as all these new homeowners get their tax bills. Not to mention, homeownership comes with lots of additional costs/repairs many new buyers fail to account for.

Just browsing Redfin/Realtor, you can some of the more expensive listings (800k+) are already seeing price reductions. I think 600 and below is where you are seeing the most demand right now.

There's been plenty of anecdotal articles of people regretting the moves already, particularly as city life slowly starts returning to normal. I'm also not sold that WFH will be the new normal. If/when people have to start commuting again: that hour long+ Metra ride won't seem as attractive to everyone who made the move.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/these-p...it-11613062856

Last edited by NYEddy; 02-18-2021 at 08:16 PM..

Old 02-18-2021, 10:35 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,612,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think almost all of Cook County requires stickers. Once you get out into the other counties, it varies. A lot of places also have parking that is somewhat lacking in the city/village center. They don’t call Oak Park “No Park” for no reason.
Evanston doesn't have stickers, but it does have a 'wheel tax' and registration system. Glenview does not have stickers or a tax.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:58 AM

16,905 posts, read 19,688,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Evanston doesn't have stickers, but it does have a 'wheel tax' and registration system. Glenview does not have stickers or a tax.
Evanston's system is new. They had a city sticker when I lived there.

The City is moving to stickerless residential parking permits, similar to the wheel tax. Since this is a new system, the City is requesting proof of residency in order to purchase a residential permit. This will only need to be done once as this information will be saved for future renewal seasons.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:12 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,612,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Evanston's system is new. They had a city sticker when I lived there.

The City is moving to stickerless residential parking permits, similar to the wheel tax. Since this is a new system, the City is requesting proof of residency in order to purchase a residential permit. This will only need to be done once as this information will be saved for future renewal seasons.
Evanston switched from stickers to wheel tax seven years ago.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:42 PM

16,905 posts, read 19,688,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Evanston switched from stickers to wheel tax seven years ago.
OK. We have been gone 13 years.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:11 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,132,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Quite honestly, it's a sh*t show. We have had barely any in person school since last March. They are still figuring things out but right now all in person ends at 1:00 because they won't allow kids to eat in school. Kids eat snacks outside, on the ground. They are only teaching math and reading because of the condensed schedule. There's really no point in going in person for high school because they are just put into rooms with computers and the teachers "teach" them remotely. Cheating is rampant at the middle and high school levels.

Their new thing is, if kids want to go back on person, they are required to submit to covid testing to do so. I find that highly unethical. Consent to medical procedures should not be coerced. That practice has been explicitly banned in New York state, yet apparently it's just fine and dandy here.

Honestly, I could go on and on about how disappointing D205 has been. There aren't enough hours in the day. Be very glad you didn't move to Elmhurst. I couldn't, in good conscious, recommend Elmhurst to anyone with school age kids right now. I'm actually atheist, but I'm now attending church so I can get a recommendation and send my daughter to a Christian school next year. It's truly that crappy here and I'm extremely angry about it.
It’s been a trying year for many schools throughout the country so I’m not going to let a once in a lifetime pandemic sway my opinion of D205 too much. I have been disappointed with some of the decisions they’ve made but my kids have been on a hybrid schedule for most of this school year and return to full time in-person schooling next week. The teachers are doing the best they can given the circumstances but I do feel the kids are falling behind a bit (probably no different than most of the country tbh). It puts more onus on the parents to work with their kids outside of school, which we are trying to do even though both my wife and I work full time. I’m glad they finally found a safe way for the grade school kids to return in person full time, even if it is for a couple hours less than a “normal” school day, because many schools still aren’t doing that. Overall, I feel the teachers and leadership at Hawthorne have done a good job considering the circumstances. (By the way, kids are no longer eating snacks outside during cold weather after that social media blowup last month).

Old 02-21-2021, 11:14 AM

12,318 posts, read 3,662,342 times
Suburbs are on fire because people are scared to be in the city. The mass exodus started after the rioting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs