Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 12:12 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times

Advertisements

I don't know if suburbs are growing but where I am at near Galena, many have moved here in the last year. Most probably brought their job with them and can work remotely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 11:11 AM

13 posts, read 15,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Quite honestly, it's a sh*t show. We have had barely any in person school since last March. They are still figuring things out but right now all in person ends at 1:00 because they won't allow kids to eat in school. Kids eat snacks outside, on the ground. They are only teaching math and reading because of the condensed schedule. There's really no point in going in person for high school because they are just put into rooms with computers and the teachers "teach" them remotely. Cheating is rampant at the middle and high school levels.

Their new thing is, if kids want to go back on person, they are required to submit to covid testing to do so. I find that highly unethical. Consent to medical procedures should not be coerced. That practice has been explicitly banned in New York state, yet apparently it's just fine and dandy here.

Honestly, I could go on and on about how disappointing D205 has been. There aren't enough hours in the day. Be very glad you didn't move to Elmhurst. I couldn't, in good conscious, recommend Elmhurst to anyone with school age kids right now. I'm actually atheist, but I'm now attending church so I can get a recommendation and send my daughter to a Christian school next year. It's truly that crappy here and I'm extremely angry about it.
If you think that's bad, you should talk to parents in CPS. There was absolutely no support of remote school last spring/summer (teachers were not teaching online at all, we were just given worksheets). It is almost March and right now we are still 100% remote. Kids have not been in the classroom in a year. We are set to start hybrid on March 1st (2 days/week, with many teachers receiving accommodations) and there is a very good chance that we will still be hybrid next fall. I will take any suburban district over that.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:21 PM

734 posts, read 483,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoRE View Post
I am in the Lake Zurich/Hawthorn Woods Kildeer area and real estate is hot right now. While I would not consider this area to be "vibrant" it is an excellent area and I do live living here. Our district has handled the pandemic very well. My kids are in school everyday for a half day and they e learn at home the other half of the day. Our superintendent has been outstanding.
I'm west of you in unicorporated Barrington, and houses on acreage are selling here now bigtime per zillow. Even real dogs that were sitting unsold for a long time are all suddenly going contingent.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:55 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
It's just so short sighted. If you want city amenities, then abandoning the city because of a temporary health concern is just knee-jerk and ill advised. When things open up again they'll wish they made a different choice.

There are other reasons to leave a city - this one just seems dumb.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:41 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
It's just so short sighted. If you want city amenities, then abandoning the city because of a temporary health concern is just knee-jerk and ill advised. When things open up again they'll wish they made a different choice.

People aren't leaving so much because they're scared of COVID, they're leaving because they've previously been forced to live in the city because of their jobs, but are now working remotely. Apparently either their jobs have committed to permanent WFH, they're hopeful that it will happen, or they're looking to switch jobs. You're probably right, though, that a lot of these people will later rethink what they're leaving behind.

Personally, I live in Seattle now (left Chicago years ago just to shake up my life, not because of anything specific to Chicago), and people are fleeing the city here too. I'm enjoying the lower rents from the reduced demand, but expect that they'll spring back somewhat within a couple years.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:58 AM

31 posts, read 32,717 times
And then people eventually move from the suburbs to out of Illinois.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:02 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
People aren't leaving so much because they're scared of COVID, they're leaving because they've previously been forced to live in the city because of their jobs, but are now working remotely. Apparently either their jobs have committed to permanent WFH, they're hopeful that it will happen, or they're looking to switch jobs. You're probably right, though, that a lot of these people will later rethink what they're leaving behind.

Personally, I live in Seattle now (left Chicago years ago just to shake up my life, not because of anything specific to Chicago), and people are fleeing the city here too. I'm enjoying the lower rents from the reduced demand, but expect that they'll spring back somewhat within a couple years.
I don’t think people moving to the suburbs necessarily feel like they are giving up anything though. If you live in the suburbs, you can still go into the city fairly easily on the weekends or in the evenings. Depending on the transportation available where you live, it might not be a significant time difference to get to the loop/River North from a suburb than it does from some of the outer parts of the city.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:39 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

I think for those that had always intended to stay in the city long-term, yes it is dumb. For those that maybe just expedited their decision because they knew they'd eventually move out of the city once they're planning to start a family, it makes some sense.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:43 AM

10 posts, read 15,346 times
Every home sale in the suburbs is some family moving in and some family moving out. I suspect a lot of older families with kids in college are retiring south, while thirty something families with young kids living in condos realize they need safe outdoor space given the parks and children’s activities in the city are closed.

I personally know many twenty-something working professionals who left the city to stay with their parents to save money and have some social interaction. They can’t wait to get back once the city re-opens. They are pretty desperate for social interaction, nightlife, restaurants, and most importantly to find a significant other. I think it’s going to be like the roaring 20’s for a while once it opens back up.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:30 AM

121 posts, read 175,496 times
I have been looking to buy in the suburbs and I have noticed an increase in younger couples (without kids) and older couples attending open houses. I’m assuming these types are living in the city and are now moving to the suburbs.

With that said, it’s kinda annoying that all these urbanites have suddenly gained an interest in the suburbs. A few years ago many of them looked down on the suburbs for being too boring and not having great places to eat.

They went from gentrifying the city to now gentrifying the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs