U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 09:57 AM

752 posts, read 834,725 times

Advertisements

IMO - the answer is yes. The walkable ones with nice business cores were always doing good but now seams like even more people are leaving the city in favor of vibrant burbs. Anyone else have thoughts here?

Would love agents to chime in with data or experienced pulse they feel.

Last edited by JJski; 02-17-2021 at 10:07 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 11:06 AM

333 posts, read 322,829 times
I don't know if I would say "vibrant burbs" so much as wealthy ones. Most of the people leaving Chicago due to COVID were high-income downtown residents. If you look at areas where demand has surged the most, they're generally more upscale suburbs (and, outside of the MSA, some of the beach towns in Michigan).

Crain's Chicago Business did an article on this back in November and they found that the biggest increase in sales were in:

•Riverside, +53%
•Lake Forest, +51%
•The Barringtons, +47%
•Wayne, +45%
•Highland Park, +35%
•Kenilworth, +32%
•Batavia, +31%
•Countryside, +30%
•Clarendon Hills, +28%
•Willow Springs, +28%

From my understanding downtown is where inventories are highest and sales have fallen the most, followed by the outer neighborhoods; and the suburbs and especially affluent suburbs , are experiencing generally very low inventory and higher sales.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:18 PM

3,294 posts, read 5,192,400 times
Some suburbs are probably growing. I think Elmhurst will be on the losing end of all of this given what a total cluster D205 schools are though. Right now I'm wishing we were still in the city with its lower taxes since I'll be paying for private school either way.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:38 PM

752 posts, read 834,725 times
Nikita, what happen with elmhurst public schools? They were always rock star i thought - unless you are going private for religious reasons.

Elmhurst was on my list as one of the popular towns benefiting.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Nikita, what happen with elmhurst public schools? They were always rock star i thought - unless you are going private for religious reasons.

Elmhurst was on my list as one of the popular towns benefiting.
Quite honestly, it's a sh*t show. We have had barely any in person school since last March. They are still figuring things out but right now all in person ends at 1:00 because they won't allow kids to eat in school. Kids eat snacks outside, on the ground. They are only teaching math and reading because of the condensed schedule. There's really no point in going in person for high school because they are just put into rooms with computers and the teachers "teach" them remotely. Cheating is rampant at the middle and high school levels.

Their new thing is, if kids want to go back on person, they are required to submit to covid testing to do so. I find that highly unethical. Consent to medical procedures should not be coerced. That practice has been explicitly banned in New York state, yet apparently it's just fine and dandy here.

Honestly, I could go on and on about how disappointing D205 has been. There aren't enough hours in the day. Be very glad you didn't move to Elmhurst. I couldn't, in good conscious, recommend Elmhurst to anyone with school age kids right now. I'm actually atheist, but I'm now attending church so I can get a recommendation and send my daughter to a Christian school next year. It's truly that crappy here and I'm extremely angry about it.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:25 PM

174 posts, read 345,176 times
I am in the Lake Zurich/Hawthorn Woods Kildeer area and real estate is hot right now. While I would not consider this area to be "vibrant" it is an excellent area and I do live living here. Our district has handled the pandemic very well. My kids are in school everyday for a half day and they e learn at home the other half of the day. Our superintendent has been outstanding.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:52 AM

9,921 posts, read 14,918,787 times
Although Covid is a factor I'd say the failed extreme leftist governance of the city is causing an exodus.

-Less aggressive policing and prosecution along with bail "reform" has resulted in criminals running amuck and terrorizing residents.
-CTU is calling the shots at CPS much to the detriment of students and taxpayers
-The city is fiscally even more bankrupt than the state itself and desperate for money relying on sleazy policing for profit schemes like red light cameras, parking fines, and speed cameras, vice taxes, and promising huge tax increases that are financial drain and quality of life problem for residents.
-The overall governance is overbearing and oppressive. Leftists run government like a nightmare HOA and many people prefer living in a free society not to mention overregulation is discouraging business development and reducing employment opportunities for residents in the private sector.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:18 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,389,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Although Covid is a factor I'd say the failed extreme leftist governance of the city is causing an exodus.

-Less aggressive policing and prosecution along with bail "reform" has resulted in criminals running amuck and terrorizing residents.
-CTU is calling the shots at CPS much to the detriment of students and taxpayers
-The city is fiscally even more bankrupt than the state itself and desperate for money relying on sleazy policing for profit schemes like red light cameras, parking fines, and speed cameras, vice taxes, and promising huge tax increases that are financial drain and quality of life problem for residents.
-The overall governance is overbearing and oppressive. Leftists run government like a nightmare HOA and many people prefer living in a free society not to mention overregulation is discouraging business development and reducing employment opportunities for residents in the private sector.
Based on a conversation with a suburban realtor last week, most inquiries he's getting from people leaving the city are young couples looking for their first home earlier than they originally planned because they can't take advantage of what the city offers due to the pandemic. This is only one anecdotal situation, obviously.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Based on a conversation with a suburban realtor last week, most inquiries he's getting from people leaving the city are young couples looking for their first home earlier than they originally planned because they can't take advantage of what the city offers due to the pandemic. This is only one anecdotal situation, obviously.
I definitely think the suburbs make more sense in the covid era. If bars, restaurants and cultural events aren't happening then why live in the city when you can have more space in the suburbs? Having no personal outdoor space would be tough during this pandemic. But, anyone moving to the suburban for schools should be extremely skeptical and cautious. There's a wise range as to how schools are operating.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:44 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,389,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I definitely think the suburbs make more sense in the covid era. If bars, restaurants and cultural events aren't happening then why live in the city when you can have more space in the suburbs? Having no personal outdoor space would be tough during this pandemic. But, anyone moving to the suburban for schools should be extremely skeptical and cautious. There's a wise range as to how schools are operating.
Right. If people don't have kids yet it really shouldn't affect them much because the pandemic should be long gone by the time they have school aged kids. Naperville is having issues like Elmhurst, though it seems like Naperville may have a more vocal minority about opening schools than the majority that prefer attempts at hybrid, yet the constant pushback of opening dates all fall rightfully seemed to frustrate some people. From what I've heard about Elmhurst is more in-school access than Naperville but lots of wishy-washiness and last minute changes.

I've been pretty cautious with what I've been doing with respect to COVID, but all indications seem to be that schools can operate safely with some pretty basic actions, but that also comes with the caveat that parents shouldn't knowingly send kids to school if sick, which makes it tricky with this particular virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs