Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 05:06 PM

223 posts, read 662,084 times

Advertisements

Hi -- I'm looking for ideally first-hand, current feedback about New Trier, Highland Park, and Stevenson High Schools. While I realize no one will have first hand knowledge of all three, I'm really seeking specific impressions from parents who seriously looked into any of the above and ideally, ones who landed at one of these schools. How are the academics? How does the school do at meeting the needs of various types of students? How are the teams or clubs for kids who aren't into sports? Any concerns with social aspects of any of these high schools? What might not be known about the school from reading the brochure or web site? Or if it's easier, feel free to PM me. TIA.

Last edited by Doglover5; 03-17-2021 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 12:52 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover5 View Post
Hi -- I'm looking for ideally first-hand, current feedback about New Trier, Highland Park, and Stevenson High Schools. While I realize no one will have first hand knowledge of all three, I'm really seeking specific impressions from parents who seriously looked into any of the above and ideally, ones who landed at one of these schools. How are the academics? How does the school do at meeting the needs of various types of students? How are the teams or clubs for kids who aren't into sports? Any concerns with social aspects of any of these high schools? What might not be known about the school from reading the brochure or web site? Or if it's easier, feel free to PM me. TIA.
I'm a native of the area and attended New Trier High School for part of my time in high school—the very late 2000s. I have friends and colleagues that attended Stevenson and Highland Park. I participated in sporting and academic competitions against students from Stevenson and Highland Park.

All three offer top-notch public educations and are well-regarded. All three are very well-funded. Stevenson is the third-largest high school in the state of Illinois with 4,200 students. New Trier isn't far behind, also with over 4,000. Highland Park High School is less than half the size. There are positives and negatives to being in such large schools. It's harder to stand out in such large ponds like NT and Stevenson. However, there is also more opportunity to find your niche with so many peers.

All of these high schools serve affluent areas. I found the atmosphere at New Trier to be ridiculously and desperately materialistic. Although, it could be that the 2000s were a more brash and vulgar era when it comes to conspicuous consumption than now. Even though I was in the middle to upper end of New Trier's economic spectrum, I look back and I am appalled at the attitudes expressed by my peers. That being said, your kid will meet people like that in life anyway.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:48 AM

223 posts, read 662,084 times
Thank you!

Any specific impressions of teams (e.g., debate, etc.) for kids who don't play sports?

Old 03-20-2021, 12:18 PM

207 posts, read 213,577 times
Quote:
Thank you!

Any specific impressions of teams (e.g., debate, etc.) for kids who don't play sports?
My husband is a Stevenson grad and we also lived in the district (until we relocated out of state last year). It's a powerhouse of a school in almost every regard and the amount of activities and clubs that are offered go on and on and on and on... even for the non-sport playing kids. The variety of options is insane. Hubby always said that if you couldn't find extracurriculars at SHS that were of interest, there was something wrong with you. LOL.

NT is also another very large school with an excellent academic reputation.

HP the smallest of the three, by far. I had heard a couple years back from a good friend who grew up in HP that the schools are not what they once were, though I believe they're still well regarded.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

The local debate programs and teams are excellent. I have two friends who were on Glenbrook North's debate team and they did very well. Music and theatre programs at New Trier and Evanston are nationally-renowned.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Both Evanston and New Trier have lots of famous graduates.

My dd went to school with AJ Naidu
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0619651/

Jeremy Piven teaches theater in Evanston.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005315/

Old 04-22-2021, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 6,066 times
my wife went to stevenson (and we live in the school district now), my old college roommate went to NT and i have lots of friends and associates who went through HP. like many have said, all are great schools.

the impressions (biases?) that i've gotten from each are;

NT - hyper competitive, almost cut throat. the work load was insanely high even at a young age, but have since been reduced to focus on the student's mental health (a positive). top notch academics, sports and extra curriculars but due to high level of stress many may have faced burn out? has clubs such as fencing and archery that many other schools do not have.

SHS - also hyper competitive but possibly just slightly less than NT due to there being a larger 'average' student population. also lots of burned out kids. work load has steadily been increasing for students in the district (negative). also great academics, sports and extra curriculars. wife said that she was in a specialized niche that would not have existed in many other HS. never had a chance to be a loner because there were so many different types of kids around. majored in art and went to SAIC and she said that a large part of it was due to the sheer amount of art clubs/specializations that SHS offered. something like 8 or 9 different art specializations w/in art dept alone?

HP - i know the least about HP but i got the impression that while also very competitive academically, there was less pressure to get perfect grades that the other two. the northshore alumnus seemed to be tighter knit here (pure speculation on my part but all the HP kids i know seems to somehow know each other). seems posher than the other schools (which i know makes me sound like a snob). i believe that there is less ethnic diversity in HP than NT and SHS but that is because NT and SHS are very diverse.

NOTE: that these are all opinions based on a limited number of individuals that attend back high school in late 90s, so take these anecdotes with a large dose of salt. i do not know the current state of the HSs but all three are great schools if your child is a high achiever. there is some debate if these districts are good for the student if they are not as much.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:26 AM

20 posts, read 23,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt View Post
HP - i know the least about HP but i got the impression that while also very competitive academically, there was less pressure to get perfect grades that the other two. the northshore alumnus seemed to be tighter knit here (pure speculation on my part but all the HP kids i know seems to somehow know each other). seems posher than the other schools (which i know makes me sound like a snob). i believe that there is less ethnic diversity in HP than NT and SHS but that is because NT and SHS are very diverse.
Uh what?

New Trier: 84% white, 8% Asian, 4% Hispanic, 1% Black, 4% low-income

Maybe you're referring to something else besides demographics that's diverse. It's certainly a large group of people that have variance - but overwhelmingly white and affluent. There is some religious diversity perhaps, but statistics in that regard are not kept.

Stevenson does have a large contingent of Asian students (~30%), but is 2% Black and 5% low income.

I wouldn't consider either "very diverse".

Having said all that, I appreciate your take and perspectives that you gave. NT can be great for someone who REALLY excels at something, but can be a pressure cooker/hurt someone's self esteeem to someone who is "average." It's a big enough school though, so I assume there is a wide range of experiences and impressions.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:12 PM

New Trier is absolutely not diverse unless diverse is white and white Jewish. I think New Trier is most difficult for poorly resourced children. My peers that were near the bottom economically were the most dissatisfied with their New Trier experiences. When I was at New Trier in the late 2000s, New Trier and the area seemed to attract a lot of trashy upper-middle-and-newly-capitalist-class, vain, snobbish, and obnoxiously upwardly mobile families. No doubt, many families weren't like that. But, those families set the tone that was encouraged by the conspicuous consumption attitudes of that time period in our country. I hope that it is different now, but I do not have a favorable opinion of the social climate of public schools in this area—regardless of how strong they are academically.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:43 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times
Stevenson is teaching critical race theory. This was sent out from NT today:

Dear *********** Students and Families,
George Floyd’s killing nearly a year ago helped spark a national and global movement to recognize and combat the racism, injustice, and violence faced by Black, Indigenous, and People of Color in our communities every day.
Today the police officer who killed George Floyd was found guilty of second-degree murder and all other charges against him. This is a significant moment that we know many of our students will want to process in different ways - in discussions with peers or adults, in quiet reflection, or in action.
We will have opportunities for students in our racial affinity groups to come together to discuss the impact of this news if they wish to do so. In adviser room tomorrow, all students will have the chance to reflect on this news, their own reactions, and ways they can make a positive difference. Some teachers also may lead discussions or reflection as appropriate. If students need to process what they are feeling, they can reach out to a trusted adult or our Social Work department in room 225 on the ********** Campus and in room B230 at the ************ Campus. Remote students can access Social Work support through the Bookings process. The Wednesday program for our seniors with C.L. Lindsay has been postponed, and seniors should report to adviser room and their regular classes.
We know that at ************* we have ongoing work to do to recognize and address racism in all of its forms. It is an important part of our strategic plan to become a school where every single student, parent, and staff member feels valued, welcomed, and safe on our campuses and within our school community no matter their race, religion, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, or ability. We have much work to do, and we ask all of you to join us in this work.
On this day, let us remember the life of George Floyd as we commit to becoming a school community that is welcoming and feels safe for all.
Take Care,
Paul Sally
Superintendent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs