Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 08:01 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times

Advertisements

Probably three dozen kids outside today here on my North Shore street. Our two neighbors daughters biked to a sleepover, while the rest of our families had a cookout and bonfire.

Without needing to exaggerate, there were probably 50 kids at the downtown Glenview park today. Baseball field were full. As were soccer fields. Kids on bikes everywhere.

I’d say more kids play here than anywhere else I’ve lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 06:22 AM

9 posts, read 11,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

I’d say more kids play here than anywhere else I’ve lived.
That’s awesome to hear. Ive seen Glenview specifically referenced here many times as being a great community for kids. Thanks so much!

Old 04-18-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I can't speak for the Chicagoland suburbs because I live in the city. But in my hometown, a suburb on the east coast, the answer is "not really." I was born in the early 80s, and when I was growing up in the 80s-90s (grade school through high school), the neighborhood used to be packed with kids after school riding bikes, playing basketball, baseball, football- the neighborhood streets used to be packet with kids. This was the era way before technology, iPhones, gadgets, etc, lol. On Halloween the streets would be flooded with kids (my parents would run out of candy).

When I go back home to visit now, very few kids are out and about like we used to be. The parks and bike paths that used to be packed with kids, are sparse. My parents haven't had a single Halloween visitor in years, lol. It's just a different world with all the technology (kids aren't as active as they used to be). I'm so glad to have grown up when I did.
Oh man. That was my childhood too as an early 80’s baby. I desperately want my boys to be up late playing kick the can at some point in their youths! I’m also grateful to have had 15 years-ish before technology really kicked in. Think I got my first pager at 16 and it was all downhill from there, ha.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
Also, if you live close to your neighborhood grade school your kids can walk or bike there.
This is the dream. Burb life on the lake but retaining some of our walkability. Wilmette is my favorite so I’m glad to hear it, thanks! Ps - if you are of the chocolate Vosges... thank you

Old 04-18-2021, 08:31 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llb621 View Post
My husband and I recently moved to the north side of the city from downtown in the Streeterville area, looking for a more family-friendly neighborhood.

We have two young and very active boys, however, and I am increasingly convinced that the city life I once thought we'd live forever is not very practical--especially because I believe it's so important for everyone's sanity for them to be active and outdoors as much as possible.

My question to the forum is: do kids play outside anymore?

Anecdotally, we've had two friends who moved to the burbs mention that kids in their neighborhoods aren't out and about much. And I do have to admit that there's a lot of kids around and playing outside here in Roscoe Village where we live. I just can't ever imagine being comfortable letting my kids ride bikes solo on city streets (props to the parents who do!)

Are kids just busy in more organized activities and on social media etc. now? (That's such a sad thing to consider and I'm really hoping not the case!)

I'm especially interested in opinions on the North Shore as we loved living close to the lake in Streeterville and miss it very much now.

Thanks in advance.
I see kids playing in driveways, alleyways, in parks, and in the street (albeit less so in the street these days) in my North Shore neighborhoods on a daily basis. It will depend on the particular neighborhood, however. My Lake Forest cul-de-sac only has one family with children at this point. By contrast, my family's Evanston neighborhood has far more children today than it did when I was growing up.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:48 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,806 times
Kids play alot in my neighborhood in parks and schoolyards with basketball pickup games and tennis. Backyards too. Not as much as when I was a kid, but still a good amount.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:05 AM

435 posts, read 430,761 times
I have lived in 3 suburbs of Chicago, each with a different level of outdoor kid activity. Currently in East Lake Bluff and my kids are out all the time and plenty of other kids, too. We walk/bike to school. Lots of people without kids out and about walking, too. If you don't let you kids play video games or watch TV much they will naturally gravitate outside.

I think that exactly where you buy within a suburb will have an impact on the level of outdoor activity. For example, you can buy a big house on the North Shore on a big lot that does not have sidewalks and that will not encourage as much outdoor activity as a more densely developed area with sidewalks and access to bike paths.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
I have lived in 3 suburbs of Chicago, each with a different level of outdoor kid activity. Currently in East Lake Bluff and my kids are out all the time and plenty of other kids, too. We walk/bike to school. Lots of people without kids out and about walking, too. If you don't let you kids play video games or watch TV much they will naturally gravitate outside.

I think that exactly where you buy within a suburb will have an impact on the level of outdoor activity. For example, you can buy a big house on the North Shore on a big lot that does not have sidewalks and that will not encourage as much outdoor activity as a more densely developed area with sidewalks and access to bike paths.
Thanks, the sidewalk thing is helpful to keep in mind. I’m quick to be wowed by big yards and green space because it’s so different than city life—but I hadn’t considered accessibility being a factor.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:42 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,240,057 times
Smile So sad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I can't speak for the Chicagoland suburbs because I live in the city. But in my hometown, a suburb on the east coast, the answer is "not really." I was born in the early 80s, and when I was growing up in the 80s-90s (grade school through high school), the neighborhood used to be packed with kids after school riding bikes, playing basketball, baseball, football- the neighborhood streets used to be packet with kids. This was the era way before technology, iPhones, gadgets, etc, lol. On Halloween the streets would be flooded with kids (my parents would run out of candy).

When I go back home to visit now, very few kids are out and about like we used to be. The parks and bike paths that used to be packed with kids, are sparse. My parents haven't had a single Halloween visitor in years, lol. It's just a different world with all the technology (kids aren't as active as they used to be). I'm so glad to have grown up when I did.
Grew up in the Chicago suburbs till I was 11; we always played outside; in fact, we had to. Then, we moved to Florida; our street had about 20 homes; everyone had 3 or 4 kids; sometimes more; everyone was outside all the time. One family had an extra lot behind their homes; all the ball games were played there. It was like Sand Lot.

I was a mom in the 80's, 90's, 2000's but mostly in the 90's as my kids were born in mid 1980's and my son in 1989. I was determined to find that same kind of neighborhood and we found it. Still there but you're right; kids aren't out as much but they need to be. We have a few moms that get their kids together.

Kids need the freedom also but I see more parents outside on chairs watching them. Just not the same.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:14 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,281 times
I see kids out a lot in Naperville. My neighbors have large groups playing basketball pretty regularly.

What I likely see less of is kids at younger ages out by themselves compared to when I was growing up in the 90s. I would often be at the park with friends on our own starting around age 8. I'd guess parents are out watching their kids more carefully to an older age and the ones out riding bikes on their own are at least 10 or older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs