Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 01:45 PM

9 posts, read 11,695 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently moved to the north side of the city from downtown in the Streeterville area, looking for a more family-friendly neighborhood.

We have two young and very active boys, however, and I am increasingly convinced that the city life I once thought we'd live forever is not very practical--especially because I believe it's so important for everyone's sanity for them to be active and outdoors as much as possible.

My question to the forum is: do kids play outside anymore?

Anecdotally, we've had two friends who moved to the burbs mention that kids in their neighborhoods aren't out and about much. And I do have to admit that there's a lot of kids around and playing outside here in Roscoe Village where we live. I just can't ever imagine being comfortable letting my kids ride bikes solo on city streets (props to the parents who do!)

Are kids just busy in more organized activities and on social media etc. now? (That's such a sad thing to consider and I'm really hoping not the case!)

I'm especially interested in opinions on the North Shore as we loved living close to the lake in Streeterville and miss it very much now.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 02:56 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
I saw 3 on skateboards an hour ago here in the NW burbs.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:18 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Not in the north shore (in the W Burbs), but there are always kids out and about here- walking, riding bikes, playing, etc. My neighbor is mowing her lawn and the guy across the street is over with his kids as I write this. They have been screaming and playing happily for over an hour. I don’t have kids and was warned pretty soon after I moved in that if I was looking for a quiet, childfree experience here, I chose the wrong place. We have busy parks every few blocks as well. I was just out at the Prairie path this afternoon and there were kids in organized groups running and riding bikes, but others who just seemed to be out there on their own.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:39 PM

9 posts, read 11,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Not in the north shore (in the W Burbs), but there are always kids out and about here- walking, riding bikes, playing, etc. My neighbor is mowing her lawn and the guy across the street is over with his kids as I write this. They have been screaming and playing happily for over an hour. I don’t have kids and was warned pretty soon after I moved in that if I was looking for a quiet, childfree experience here, I chose the wrong place. We have busy parks every few blocks as well. I was just out at the Prairie path this afternoon and there were kids in organized groups running and riding bikes, but others who just seemed to be out there on their own.
Childhood is not dead after all thanks for the response! What burb are you in, if I can ask? Is the Prairie Path Elmhurst?

Old 04-16-2021, 07:07 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llb621 View Post
Childhood is not dead after all thanks for the response! What burb are you in, if I can ask? Is the Prairie Path Elmhurst?
I live in Downers Grove. I think the Prairie Path starts in Wheaton and goes to Forest Park, Elgin, and Aurora? Not sure. It is pretty long. I was in the Lombard portion. From what I can tell here, the playgrounds/parks in this area are quite popular. I go to a lot of parks, but I admittedly don’t go very far north and tend to stay close to the ones closer to I-88, but there are usually a lot of kids in the parks and tons of kids riding bikes solo. As long as you aren’t on the main streets, the roads tend to be very quiet. DG also has a nature center that offers stuff like archery, beekeeping, and a variety of other activities for more organized options along with the other parks district options.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:20 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
I can't speak for the Chicagoland suburbs because I live in the city. But in my hometown, a suburb on the east coast, the answer is "not really." I was born in the early 80s, and when I was growing up in the 80s-90s (grade school through high school), the neighborhood used to be packed with kids after school riding bikes, playing basketball, baseball, football- the neighborhood streets used to be packet with kids. This was the era way before technology, iPhones, gadgets, etc, lol. On Halloween the streets would be flooded with kids (my parents would run out of candy).

When I go back home to visit now, very few kids are out and about like we used to be. The parks and bike paths that used to be packed with kids, are sparse. My parents haven't had a single Halloween visitor in years, lol. It's just a different world with all the technology (kids aren't as active as they used to be). I'm so glad to have grown up when I did.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:21 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,088 times
If you have to ask, you know the answer!

Old 04-16-2021, 08:53 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,388 times
Sounds like Aurora is the city for you. Plenty of people out and about in the neighborhoods.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:00 PM

188 posts, read 209,534 times
Kids play outside all the time in Wilmette. Choose a non busy street with lots of kids and you are all set!

Old 04-17-2021, 01:31 PM

188 posts, read 209,534 times
Also, if you live close to your neighborhood grade school your kids can walk or bike there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs