Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2008, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,844 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently live in FL and am relocating to IL this summer. I am a teacher and have a job interview on Tue at a round lake elementary school. I'm noticing that their is a large hispanic population. It doesn't seem like, when looking at housing price maps, that it is a low income area. Despite this, the free and reduced lunch rate is about 40%. Can anyone help me gain some insight to the area. Where does the hispanic population come from? Is there a really "bad" part of town? Are they migrant workers? How bad would it be to teach there? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
Sue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 AM

545 posts, read 2,043,730 times
Hi Sue. I live next to Round Lake in the town of Lake Villa. I do work in Round Lake as a self employed person. Although the area is high in hispanics and mexicans , it is not your typical depressed area in my opinion. In fact, the Village has taken tremendous strides in upgrading the town . I cant think of any 'bad' areas of Round Lake frankly ; from time to time you hear of a crime and the popular 'boom-boom' music plays from quite a few cars but there is a fairly strong police presence it seems. Round Lake has summer activities like carnival, outdoor music in the summer, etc...and is a family oriented Town for the most part. The Hispanics and Mexicans ive run across are hard working families and many are store owners/managers . Some dont speak english but its rare . This part of Lake County is nice , much quieter than the counties closer to chicago. Good shopping in Gurnee which is 15 minutes away. Do you have any other questions that i may be able to answer for you ?

Old 05-10-2008, 05:31 PM

44 posts, read 232,725 times
I agree with IbeDavid. Before I student taught, I did some observation hours at a school in Round Lake (with a friend who teaches ESL)and I was overwhelmed with the good quality of the teachers and the administrators. The students were friendly and well-behaved, and really seemed to enjoy their time in school. One of my cohort classmates went on to teach at the middle school and really enjoyed it as well. There are some very expensive areas and some that are smaller/older homes, but I would not say there is a "bad" part of town. I wish you luck with your interview!

If I wasn't in the process of moving, I would definitely seek a teaching job there. In fact, I think they recently all got raises and have a good contract in place. I live in Antioch, and we shop and play in the Round Lake area quite often with all of our friends who live there.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:59 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
While it is an area with relatively high percentages of minorities I would agree that these are not the migrant farm workers that you might find in a agricultural area of FL, CA, or even a downstate IL vegetable canning operation. The people in RL have jobs that are fairly steady in various retail capacities or linked to labor intensive jobs that exist locally. RL is less dense than Waukegan to the east, but there are still pockets of apartments that do serve a less family oriented clientèle. There are also adjacent town like Round Lake Beach & Park that also make up some of the school district. I have distant relatives who work in law enforcement in RL and they have said about half of the crime, by race, committed by Hispanics/Caucasians that do the same stupid things as other people that get in trouble -- drink, fight and try to win over the wrong girl...

There are all sorts of "working class" in the area that have many of the same attitudes that make it a struggle to get kids interested in devoting time to more advanced schooling that would make it more likely to get higher paying jobs, but this is certainly not confined to Hispanics nor to Round Lake. Generally the cost of living is pretty high in Lake Co. . The retailers have to pay considerably more than minimum wage, as to the jobs in the trades/construction/outdoor maintenance. If you do search the surrounding area you will see that incomes are considerably higher in the southern reaches of Lake Co. IL, by quite a significant amount.

Estimated median household income in 2005: $91,200 (it was $88,828 in 2000)
[LEFT]Libertyville $91,200Illinois: $50,260[/LEFT]

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $361,500 (it was $263,700 in 2000) [LEFT]Libertyville $361,500Illinois: $183,900[/LEFT]

Estimated median household income in 2005: $77,700 (it was $75,742 in 2000)
[LEFT]Gurnee $77,700Illinois: $50,260[/LEFT]

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $272,800 (it was $199,000 in 2000) Gurnee $272,800Illinois: $183,900
Estimated median household income in 2005: $60,900 (it was $59,359 in 2000)
[LEFT]Round Lake Beach $60,900Illinois: $50,260[/LEFT]

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $168,600 (it was $123,000 in 2000) [LEFT]Round Lake Beach $168,600Illinois: $183,900[/LEFT]

Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 AM

17 posts, read 88,279 times
Hello,

I'm not sure if your inteview is at the Big Hollow school in Round Lake? I live quite close to that school and have to say that the surrounding area in not bad at all. Right next to it, you have Valley Lakes and Silver Leaf Glen which both have very nice single family homes. Like someone else already mentioned, there are rent areas around which might contribute to the high minority percentage. Overall, I think that once the economy picks up, the area is going to experience a lot of expansion. And with it, the schools reputation will improve. I say, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs