Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 05:31 PM

197 posts, read 302,052 times

Advertisements

It kind of strange all landlords wants to sell their businesses, even in the areas that rents are pretty good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 05:34 AM

247 posts, read 236,503 times
They are paranoid that the capital gains tax rates are going to go up, causing them to have to pay more taxes (on their profits) when they eventually sell... and I’m sure some have been negatively affected by non-paying tenants and just want out.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:20 AM

Thanks, I thought about tenants may not paying rent (our tenants are so far so good in paying on time). But didn’t know about capital gains tax rates are going to go up, I have to read more about it.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:29 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majka View Post
Thanks, I thought about tenants may not paying rent (our tenants are so far so good in paying on time). But didn’t know about capital gains tax rates are going to go up, I have to read more about it.
Not sure, but Illinois' strong ban on evictions during Covid may have taken some of the luster off owning residential renting housing as well. Illinois, for better or worse, is purported to be a state much more friendly to tenants than landlords, not a business I'd want to be in myself. However, commercial property? Sure, if they quit paying rent, you can put a padlock on the door. On the other hand, depending on how likely your building will be burned down during a peaceful protest may make insurance unaffordable, so there's that.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
I imagine that those landlords suffered who had multi unit buildings, if their renters did not pay rent all last year and could not be evicted. I would not choose to be a landlord for that reason. I dont know how they survived, because their bills still kept going,

Old 04-29-2021, 06:01 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
My guess would be dead beat renters that refuse to leave, and landlords that can't evict them. Plus, housing is sky high right now. What a perfect storm.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:42 AM

I see a lot for lease commercial properties, my guess would be COVID and internet business take over. As it goes with tenants, it’s a hit or miss game to find right one. We removed bad tenants just before COVID craziness. Tenants who are right now, pays nicely so far.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:12 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majka View Post
It kind of strange all landlords wants to sell their businesses, even in the areas that rents are pretty good?
In addition to the other reasons many have cited, I think the specter of rent control also could have something to do with this. Up until last year, this was just a fantasy. Now, there is actually some risk it the ban could be lifted and we could end up with a hodge podge of rent control and non-rent control communities, which could really tank your property value if you unluckily end up in one of the former. Plus, the market is red hot. I'm honestly surprised there aren't more properties on the market.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:29 PM

I’m curious how politicians deal with rent control, as I believe majority of them if not all are landlords. I don’t think they want play against their businesses. Something is suspicious here

Old 05-04-2021, 11:10 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Don't be so sure of this. I have had realtors calling me begging to sell my building because there is no inventory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs