Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 07:55 AM

768 posts, read 1,104,365 times

Advertisements

Anyone believe we are in a bubble- are home prices too good to be true for owners? Is a correction coming in values also including most desirable areas typically shielded?

Just curious on thoughts as many CD folks live, sleep and breathe this data.

Please be nice and thoughtful- not looking for flame war here just cross-board mindful opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 08:07 AM

121 posts, read 175,721 times
In normal times I would say yes. There is an artificially high demand for homes in the suburbs due the events in the last year and eventually as things open up this demand will shift back to the city. If there is a “correction” it won’t be anywhere near the level of 2010 and the correction will most likely be in the single digits.

However, inflation is another factor to consider and even if demand dwindles and/or interest rates increase, I think home prices might not be effected much if inflation becomes a concern. Home prices tend to follow inflation and if the cost for goods and other services increase then home prices will probably increase as well.

If I had to predict what will happen in the next few years it would be that home prices stabilize in the Chicagoland area. High property taxes will hamper home appreciation seen in other parts of the country.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:51 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
This is the wrong forum for this question and has plenty of discussion in the real estate forum.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:08 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Anyone believe we are in a bubble- are home prices too good to be true for owners? Is a correction coming in values also including most desirable areas typically shielded?

Just curious on thoughts as many CD folks live, sleep and breathe this data.

Please be nice and thoughtful- not looking for flame war here just cross-board mindful opinions.
From a local perspective, I think that the Chicagoland area will see a significant correction. There is no explosion in household formation or population growth to justify the price appreciation and increased competitiveness in some of these markets. However, the significance of that correction will depend on a lot of variables like interest rates, credit availability, and inflation. I think that inflation is something on the horizon that so few are talking about. It would not surprise me if we find ourselves in a recession within the next few years. Also, some posters have posted about an increase in demand in the suburbs. This is true. But, it is also true that the urban and inner-ring suburban communities have also seen a massive increase in interest too.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:50 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
I don't think there is a bubble. Its not about household formation or population growth, its about number of new houses that have been built annually and those numbers have been down.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:54 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I don't think there is a bubble. Its not about household formation or population growth, its about number of new houses that have been built annually and those numbers have been down.
I think that's a piece of it, for sure. Lower new housing starts, lower existing inventory because some people in a later period of their life have delayed moving during the pandemic, and low interest rates have all contributed to the rise in prices. As those change (unknown if it'll be gradual or drastic), some of the air will be taken out. It's not a bubble in the sense that people have been given mortgages they can't afford in 2-3 years like '07-08.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:27 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
I don't think so. In many of the Chicago suburban areas prices are still below where they were 15 years ago. I know mine is. People are still selling houses at a loss if they bought in 2006-2007. Sometimes significant losses. Hard to call it a bubble when you have just been treading water for the last 15 years. It is similar elsewhere too. Our other house in SW Florida has appreciated significantly but only because we bought at the absolute bottom of the market in that area (late 2011). Our neighbor who bought five years earlier is still in a loss position from his original purchase price in 2006. And in a big loss position when you add in all the improvements he's made. I think one has to look a longer term trends and not just year-to-year. If you view your home as an investment (and I do not), having a negative return over 15 years is not a great way to make money. And in my mind does not indicate a bubble.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:11 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Not until they get the crime under control in the city.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:23 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Not until they get the crime under control in the city.
I'd bet my house this has little to do with the significant rise in suburban home prices.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:18 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Back in 2006-2007 there were some parts of the country like the Great Plains which did not experience a bubble. And that was a huge bubble.

I say this because I think Chicago up until very recently was missing out on the unsustainable price increases elsewhere in the country. I think this is mostly good, because I value affordable housing for first time buyers as well as those trading up. It's hard to watch sometimes though because it seems like many are getting huge windfalls.

I think Chicago has quite a bit to go to catch up to the frothiness of other markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: