Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 11:11 AM

732 posts, read 485,811 times

Advertisements

Quick zillow search: 42 listings for <$400k in Mount Prospect alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 11:14 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Quick zillow search: 42 listings for <$400k in Mount Prospect alone.
I'm strictly referring to the locations the OP mentioned coupled with the comment that they wanted more house than a single-level bungalow. This is a dated post-war bungalow or condo budget in Skokie, Wilmette, Evanston, etc.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I'm strictly referring to the locations the OP mentioned coupled with the comment that they wanted more house than a single-level bungalow. This is a dated post-war bungalow or condo budget in Skokie, Wilmette, Evanston, etc.
Ah, those areas, ok. Well you could find 3br/2b <$400k even there, but yeh it's probably gonna be 1 story or a split.

Here's a 4/2 split in MG as an example: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5.../3527107_zpid/

Old 07-15-2021, 02:50 PM

121 posts, read 175,770 times
Quote:
I have to disagree that you can't find a move in $400k range...UNLESS you're specifically looking for home walking distance from the train, a la downtown MP.
From my own personal experience (and I have been searching for homes for about a year plus) I will say it is difficult to find a move in ready home at that price in the areas the OP mentioned.

“Move in ready” for me means a home that is fairly up to date (bathrooms/kitchens renovated in the past 10-15 years, wood floors, roof doesn’t need to be fixed, finished basement etc.) and based on my experience I think you will be hard pressed to find a home in that price range with that criteria.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:21 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
OP - For this first move into the suburbs, my honest opinion would be to find the town/location you like most based on your criteria (including budget), and then worry about the rest. As always, my recommendation would be to look at neighborhoods as close to a town core/train as possible.

A logical concession to make for you would be on the two story home. Remember, a lot of these ranches can become full or partial two story dwellings if you have the cash in the future.

I've seen some good recommendations - Mount Prospect, Morton Grove. If you can't find homes near the town core of your choice, I'd urge you to look at unincorporated Glenview, which has a lot of diversity and is plugged into the Glenview K-8. Unincorporated Glenview is by no means "nicer" than the average Skokie or Niles neighborhood, but it may have some added marketability come time to sell.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic87 View Post
From my own personal experience (and I have been searching for homes for about a year plus) I will say it is difficult to find a move in ready home at that price in the areas the OP mentioned.

“Move in ready” for me means a home that is fairly up to date (bathrooms/kitchens renovated in the past 10-15 years, wood floors, roof doesn’t need to be fixed, finished basement etc.) and based on my experience I think you will be hard pressed to find a home in that price range with that criteria.
My wife's aunt just sold her house in Des Plaines, closed a few days ago. Split level, lower level with separate kitchen, everything updated...$376k ($10k over asking price, thanks to a bidding war). Granted, it is DP over there by Potter, but still.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:10 AM

121 posts, read 175,770 times
Quote:
My wife's aunt just sold her house in Des Plaines, closed a few days ago. Split level, lower level with separate kitchen, everything updated...$376k ($10k over asking price, thanks to a bidding war). Granted, it is DP over there by Potter, but still.
That home probably wouldn’t meet OP’s criteria in terms of school ratings not to mention a home on a busy street will sell at a discount.

Buying a home for $400k isn’t impossible in these areas. Heck you can even find some homes listed under $400k in Park Ridge but finding a home that is “move-in ready “ at that price point will be a challenge.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:25 AM

It wasn't on a busy street, but yes it's in the maine township school district (which I went to, incidentally).

Well look here, over the years together with my wife (who's an occasional realtor), we've bought 6 houses that we've lived in, plus a few more that we've flipped. I'll say this, there's no ideal, you'll always have to compromise on some standard, and there's no such thing as a "move-in"...you'll always end up doing something or other.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:56 AM

30 posts, read 26,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
OP - For this first move into the suburbs, my honest opinion would be to find the town/location you like most based on your criteria (including budget), and then worry about the rest. As always, my recommendation would be to look at neighborhoods as close to a town core/train as possible.

A logical concession to make for you would be on the two story home. Remember, a lot of these ranches can become full or partial two story dwellings if you have the cash in the future.

I've seen some good recommendations - Mount Prospect, Morton Grove. If you can't find homes near the town core of your choice, I'd urge you to look at unincorporated Glenview, which has a lot of diversity and is plugged into the Glenview K-8. Unincorporated Glenview is by no means "nicer" than the average Skokie or Niles neighborhood, but it may have some added marketability come time to sell.
Just a point of clarification, the several blocks of unincorporated Glenview that feed into D34 (north of Central, and literally surrounded to the west, east, and north by incorporated Glenview—the boundaries are bizarre) are more expensive than the larger portion of unincorporated Glenview, south of Central, that is more diverse and feeds into D63/Maine East.

Old 07-16-2021, 05:29 PM

58 posts, read 38,587 times
I hear Crystal Lake is beautiful- has a lake and a beach and wonderful school district. Everyone I meet who lives there says they moved there because of its schools. However, taxes are a bit high because of that reason as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang444 View Post
I was born and raised in the North Side of Chicago and now reside in the NW side of the city. I am Hispanic and have worked hard to have a white collar job in law. I have two young kids entering 2nd grade and 5th grade. I would identify as being middle of the road in politics though probably leaning more conservative now. As many Chicagoans, especially those having young kids, I no longer feel Chicago and its schools are where I want to raise my kids.

My budget is about 400k (schools loans prevent me from obtaining more) My husband does not want to move to deep into the burbs because even though we want to move out of Chicago we still have close ties to the City and do not want to move to far away because of our jobs (though mine is currently remote).

I would like to live in a district that has at least a 7/8 in both grammar and high schools but I have no idea what suburbs to look into that will have enough HOUSE (not just a one level ranch house) at our budget. Ideally, I would like to NOT live in a suburb/village that would have the potential to have high rises. I would like a driveway, nice yard (does not have to be huge) and a move in house that does not require any fixing (i.e unfinished basement etc).

As a Hispanic, I know there are certain suburbs that are very homogenous and probably outside my budget (Winnetka etc) I dont want to necessarily be the only one in the area with a foreign last name and be met with implicit bias but I really want to live in an area where i wont constantly hear about garage thefts, catalytic converter thefts etc. I know crime happens everywhere but there are certain suburbs that do a pretty good job of keeping its residents safe, great schools and a good community. That is where I want to be. Even if I have to pay more in taxes, it is worth it to get away from the problems that plague Chicago even its "good" neighborhoods.

For the record I am considering:

Norridge (I know this is more like an extension of Chgo, but family lives there and its a nice family oriented suburb_ though I am not too happy with the home prices and amount of house that we get)

Skokie (certain parts)
Morton Grove

Wilmette (Western part)
Niles

Park Ridge

Evanston is out of the question..(personal reasons)

Anyone else have any input into these areas?

Thank you so much for your suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs