Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2021, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 1,965 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I recently got a job, and as part of it I am required to live in Vernon Township, Lake County. I’m a 26 year old single male, and my budget is 250K. Apartments, condos, and SFHs are all fine, although I have been having trouble finding single-family homes to buy in that range. The areas I’ve been primarily looking at are in Vernon Hills, Buffalo Grove, and Mundelein, as my job is in BG, but even townhomes have been difficult. Does anyone know any good areas within the township, or more importantly, any bad areas I should avoid? For example, there seem to be quite a few apartments scattered around, such as Windbrooke Crossing, the Oaks, Pebbleshire, and 404 Social. 404 seems to be quite upscale, but the rent is relatively expensive, and I don’t know which areas are safest and which areas have a bit of a crime area. Windbrooke Crossing is near Wheeling, which I have read is an area with a decent amount of crime, and I’ve also looked at areas with cheaper rent; Pebbleshire is my inclination right now. For nightlife, this entire area is suburban, so I’m not banking on great nightlife outside Chicago or Evanston, so that’s not a concern. In Vernon Township, are there good areas that are safe and in my budget? Also, do tell me the areas that I should avoid. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 01:52 PM

120 posts, read 170,112 times
Vernon Township is extremely safe. Less desirable areas are in Vernon Hills near the Mundelein border but you can hardly call these undesirable compared to other areas. Maybe the complex in Mundelein off Butterfield and 45 is one I would avoid, but if you find a great studio even there, it’s worth considering. Wheeling is an ok area too. In terms of price alone, I think VH and BG will be cheapest, so it is all really dependent on what you want.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:04 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndelize View Post
Hello all,
I recently got a job, and as part of it I am required to live in Vernon Township, Lake County. I’m a 26 year old single male, and my budget is 250K. Apartments, condos, and SFHs are all fine, although I have been having trouble finding single-family homes to buy in that range. The areas I’ve been primarily looking at are in Vernon Hills, Buffalo Grove, and Mundelein, as my job is in BG, but even townhomes have been difficult. Does anyone know any good areas within the township, or more importantly, any bad areas I should avoid? For example, there seem to be quite a few apartments scattered around, such as Windbrooke Crossing, the Oaks, Pebbleshire, and 404 Social. 404 seems to be quite upscale, but the rent is relatively expensive, and I don’t know which areas are safest and which areas have a bit of a crime area. Windbrooke Crossing is near Wheeling, which I have read is an area with a decent amount of crime, and I’ve also looked at areas with cheaper rent; Pebbleshire is my inclination right now. For nightlife, this entire area is suburban, so I’m not banking on great nightlife outside Chicago or Evanston, so that’s not a concern. In Vernon Township, are there good areas that are safe and in my budget? Also, do tell me the areas that I should avoid. Thank you!

Windbrooke Crossing is fine. It's about a mile from Wheeling but the part of Wheeling that is closest is perfectly fine as well. That's where you would probably do a lot of your shopping along Lake Cook Road (most people think that the Target and that mall (and the one across the street) is in BG but it is actually in Wheeling). Very safe and you can walk to the Metra Station if so inclined. There is a highly rated school to the north along the bike path. The only downside is that it is near the tracks and it can get loud on the east side of the complex. The area on the other side of Weiland in BG has many well established and safe sub divisions. In fact, you may want to look for a rental in the townhouse section of Old Farm Village or Hidden Lakes. I looked in Windbrooke about 5 years ago for someone I know and it was quite nice. Passed the car test with flying colors.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:55 PM

Thank you. I have been looking in Windbrooke, the Oaks, and two other complexes: Inverrary, which has a Deerfield address but is basically in BG, and the Green at Chevy Chase. I’m ruling out the 404 Social, because despite its great rating it’s right next to a major complex and a major movie theater, and I don’t know if I want to deal with that. I don’t think any area is undesirable, but obviously some are more desirable than others. Which are these areas? Any advice would be helpful.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:43 AM
wjj

Quote:
Thank you. I have been looking in Windbrooke, the Oaks, and two other complexes: Inverrary, which has a Deerfield address but is basically in BG, and the Green at Chevy Chase. I’m ruling out the 404 Social, because despite its great rating it’s right next to a major complex and a major movie theater, and I don’t know if I want to deal with that. I don’t think any area is undesirable, but obviously some are more desirable than others. Which are these areas? Any advice would be helpful.

Inverrary is a definite step down from Windbrooke. So is Chevy Chase but less so (decent golf course though).

444 Social and The Oaks are both probably a step up. New developments with modern units and quite nice amenities on site. And both located walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. There are a lot of things like that (plus a medical center) on both sides of Aptakisic that are easily walkable from 444. I think most consider that to be a benefit of living there. Both in very safe areas. One thing to consider, though I don't think it affects livability there, is that there is a landfill just to the south of 444 Social. It is no longer active and is in its post closure monitoring phase. It used to be a landfill for construction debris and had a composting site. But again, it is no longer active. Will probably become a park some day in the not too distant future.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:02 PM

Wjj, thank you so much! I’ve found more details about my workplace, and I’ve found that I may not even need to use a car much in the area; there is a townhome neighborhood called Palazzo, and another one named Waterbury (these are right across Stevenson HS) that is within walking distance to my workplace. However, I heard from a friend that these neighborhoods have had quite a bit of property crime recently. In the Waterbury neighborhood, there were 5 break-ins alone last year, and same in nearby neighborhoods like Beaconsfield in Lincolnshire and Georgetown in Vernon Hills. I think my friend was exaggerating, but if these crime stats are true, is there a way to work around them? I don’t want to be the victim of a crime.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Wjj, thank you so much! I’ve found more details about my workplace, and I’ve found that I may not even need to use a car much in the area; there is a townhome neighborhood called Palazzo, and another one named Waterbury (these are right across Stevenson HS) that is within walking distance to my workplace. However, I heard from a friend that these neighborhoods have had quite a bit of property crime recently. In the Waterbury neighborhood, there were 5 break-ins alone last year, and same in nearby neighborhoods like Beaconsfield in Lincolnshire and Georgetown in Vernon Hills. I think my friend was exaggerating, but if these crime stats are true, is there a way to work around them? I don’t want to be the victim of a crime.
As someone who had lived in the area for ~18 years and is now a college student in a more “dangerous” town out East, let me reassure you; Vernon Township is one of the safest areas you can be, even today. Yes it does seem like the crime rate is going up unfortunately, but a lot of the property crime that occurs is perfectly avoidable. Usually, it’s some dude taking advantage of a wide open garage door to take things and then leave. If something major happens, you can bet the whole town will know about it; I remember when some thugs stole a U-Haul a couple years ago, and there were entire SWAT teams and helicopters called to arrest the thieves. If it helps, generally Vernon Township east of Milwaukee is safer, and if even then you don’t feel safe, you can always install a ring. (I’ve found that in Vernon Township, coyotes and foxes pose a greater danger than other humans) Just be careful and you’ll be fine; I don’t think there’s a genuinely bad area of Vernon Township or really anywhere in the immediate vicinity. Maybe there are some apartment complexes in Wheeling you should stay away from, and even then they’re not bad areas; I’ve left my car unlocked at Fresh Farms countless times and been fine. Just be smart and you’ll be safe.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:35 AM
wjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym18123 View Post
As someone who had lived in the area for ~18 years and is now a college student in a more “dangerous” town out East, let me reassure you; Vernon Township is one of the safest areas you can be, even today. Yes it does seem like the crime rate is going up unfortunately, but a lot of the property crime that occurs is perfectly avoidable. Usually, it’s some dude taking advantage of a wide open garage door to take things and then leave. If something major happens, you can bet the whole town will know about it; I remember when some thugs stole a U-Haul a couple years ago, and there were entire SWAT teams and helicopters called to arrest the thieves. If it helps, generally Vernon Township east of Milwaukee is safer, and if even then you don’t feel safe, you can always install a ring. (I’ve found that in Vernon Township, coyotes and foxes pose a greater danger than other humans) Just be careful and you’ll be fine; I don’t think there’s a genuinely bad area of Vernon Township or really anywhere in the immediate vicinity. Maybe there are some apartment complexes in Wheeling you should stay away from, and even then they’re not bad areas; I’ve left my car unlocked at Fresh Farms countless times and been fine. Just be smart and you’ll be safe.

I agree with this except for the east of Milwaukee being safer part. The entire area is very safe. The only crime spree I recall in 35 years of being in Buffalo Grove were some HS kids 15 or so years ago walking into homes with doors unlocked and nobody home in the afternoon after school. And random thefts from unlocked vehicles in parking lots or driveways. Just lock up and use common sense and you will be fine.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:20 PM

Ditto to wjj. Vernon Township is VERY safe, it honestly doesn’t get much safer. Yes there is crime like everywhere, but 99% can be avoided if you just practice common sense. I remember when you could literally leave your garage door wide open and everything in the house unlocked and be perfectly fine, but gone are those days. Anywhere. You will be safe, just look for what place you like and rent it. Vernon Township is not walkable though; a car is recommended.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:02 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Safe as far as crime. Though traffic might be a problem. Since you're not driving that far, probably not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs