Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 09:20 PM

29 posts, read 32,564 times

Advertisements

From my observations and knowlege

Hinsdale: Burr Ridge, Willowbrook, Darien, Clarendon Hills

Riverside: North Riverside(Home of the mall), Lyons(Not Lyons Township the school, but a city called Lyons, and people who live in Lyons, don't attend LT lol, they attend Morton)

Berwyn/Cicero: Forest View, Stickney, North Riverside, Lyons.

La Grange: La Grange Park, Indian Head Park, Western Springs, Countryside, La Grange Highlands, Westchester, Brookfield(Home of the famous Brookfield Zoo), Hodgkins.

Bellwood: Hillside, Westchester, Berkeley

Downers Grove: Darien, Westmont, Woodridge, Lisle

Aurora: Montgomery, Boulder Hill, Oswego, Yorkville, Sugar Grove, North Aurora

Joliet: Crest Hill, Romeoville, Lockport, Shorewood, Plainfield, Channahon, Rockdale, New Lenox, Minooka, Crystal Lawns, Preston Heights, Manhattan.

Melrose Park: Stone Park and Northlake

Oak Park: Forest Park and River Forest

Elgin: Pingree Grove, South Elgin, Gilberts, Sleepy Hollow, West Dundee, East Dunee, Carpentersville

Crystal Lake: Lake in the Hills, Huntley, Algonquin

Waukegan: Gurnee, Wadsworth, Beach Park, Zion, Park City, North Chicago, Gages Lake, Winthrop Harbor

Maywood: Broadview, Hines, Bellwood

OakBrook: OakBrook Terrace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 10:48 AM

57 posts, read 63,766 times
This is like a list of towns next to other towns.

One major qualifier for a Suburb is being a bedroom community. So I would say Pleasant Prarie, Kenosha et al are suburbs of suburbs as tons of people live there but work at Abbive/Abbot.

Towns that were suburbs of other areas that then became suburbs with metro growth might count. Lockport/Joilet. Sugar Grove/Aurora. Elburn/St Charles.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:09 PM

33 posts, read 43,787 times
I lived all over the Fox River Valley my whole life to I have some prior knowledge of this topic.

In McHenry, I feel like Mccoullom Lake, Johnsburg, Holiday Hills, and Lakemoor are "suburbs" of McHenry. They are all mainly served by McHenry D15 anyways.

Algonquin is a tricky one because I currently reside on the newer side of Carpentersville but I do everything either in the Dundees or Algonquin and both of their downtowns are 2 minutes from my house. My neighborhood is not even served by any Carpentersville schools, the elementary school, and high school is in Algonquin and the middle school is in West Dundee. Carpentersville is almost a replica of Lake in the Hills (except it has the Fox River instead of a lake). District 300 has historically been in the "Car/dun/al" area (what locals call our towns). Lake in the Hills also is served my D300 so even though Algonquin has a smaller downtown than the Dundees, they both have malls and I feel like West Dundee and Algonquin would be the principal cities of Carpentersville, Sleepy Hallow, Gilberts, and Lake in the Hills.

Old 11-26-2022, 12:06 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Here are mine:

Deerfield <- Bannockburn
Round Lake <- the entire "Round Lake series"
Barrington <- the entire "Barrington series"
Elgin <- East Dundee, West Dundee, Carpentersville
Hammond, IN <- Whiting, IN
Franklin Park <- Stone Park, Schiller Park
Lake Zurich <- Deer Park, Kildeer
Palatine <- Invernes

All in all, it seems like "suburbs of suburbs" get more common the farther you get from Chicago, due to historical development patters. Without easy access to Chicago at first, local bigger towns emerged as hub communities for the smaller towns around them. While they're all suburbs of Chicago today, the pattern of a hub community supporting small villages nearby is still the norm in Alaska.

Old 11-26-2022, 02:44 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
For NWI: Crown Point, St John, Dyer, Munster, Highland, Merrillville, Portage, Chesterton, and Valparaiso all grew as suburbs of Gary/Hammond/East Chicago. To the extent the latter could in turn be considered suburbs of Chicago, the former would be considered suburbs of suburbs though nowadays they seem to be swallowed up by Chicago more so.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:33 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
For NWI: Crown Point, St John, Dyer, Munster, Highland, Merrillville, Portage, Chesterton, and Valparaiso all grew as suburbs of Gary/Hammond/East Chicago. To the extent the latter could in turn be considered suburbs of Chicago, the former would be considered suburbs of suburbs though nowadays they seem to be swallowed up by Chicago more so.

I disagree with this. First of all Gary is noticeably younger than the county capitals if Valpo and Crown Point which are as distinct as Michigan City. All three have their own suburbs.

For Hammond, I say Whiting Munster and Highland.

For Gary I'd say Griffith, Lake Station, Ogden Dunes, Hobart, Merrillville and Portage.

East Chicago is its own beast of sorts.

Valpo has Sherwood Forest.

Michigan City has Long Beach, Sheridan Beach, Beverly Shores, New Buffalo, Michigan Shores, Grand Beach and the Pines.

Chesterton has it's own lil neighbors of Porter, Porter Beach and Dune Acres.

Crown Point has Cedar Lake, Lake of the Four Seasons, and Winfield.

St. John is actually the closest thing to a Chicagoland typical suburb, most of its residents are Illinois newcomers I believe

Old 11-29-2022, 12:41 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
And one more thing about Valparaiso. It doesn't really have many nearby towns but it have loads of populated and built up unincorporated areas surrounding the city on all four sides for many miles.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:13 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,075,471 times
Kankakee: Bradley, Bourbonnais, Manteno, Aroma Park, Limestone
Crystal Lake: Lake in the Hills, Cary, Lakewood
Elgin: South Elgin, Pingree Grove, Sleepy Hollow, East Dundee/West Dundee
Joliet: Crest Hill, Shorewood, Plainfield, Rockdale, Preston Heights, Ingalls Park

Old 12-02-2022, 07:28 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Glen Ellyn:Wheaton is wrong.

It should be Wheaton: Glen Ellyn

Old 12-02-2022, 08:59 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Glen Ellyn:Wheaton is wrong.

It should be Wheaton: Glen Ellyn
Neither of these is correct. While Wheaton is the more dominant of the two, being a DuPage county seat, they're both suburbs in their own right. They're about the same size, developed similarly in their pasts, and have equally vibrant downtowns.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 12-02-2022 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs