Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 09:57 AM

9 posts, read 11,628 times

Advertisements

Hello
We are an India/Pakistan Muslim family deciding to relocate between Austin, TX to Chicago Suburbs. I work in Tech and my current job is permanently remote. 2 Kids 4yr old and 1 yr old.
Schools are extremely important and our #1 criteria. We really like Naperville and Lincolnshire but these are too far from Chicago and would ideally like to find something commutable to chicago downtown
Ideally looking for a New construction or 3-4 yr old house around 700-800k.
Would love to hear any suggestions on what suburbs/neighborhoods we should be looking at?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 10:41 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Naperville was my first thought. Maybe take a look at La Grange, IL.

https://www.google.com/search?q=la+g...4dUDCA4&uact=5

Old 08-18-2021, 10:04 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Naperville. It is not too far to commute. There are newer homes there. Perhaps some building going on too. Closer in suburbs the homes are older and there is no land to build.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:14 PM

120 posts, read 170,112 times
I’ll actually suggest Lincolnshire, or surrounding areas like Buffalo Grove and Vernon Hills. In VH in particular, the Gregg’s Landing neighborhood has a great deal of newer construction and develop,met that can be found rather cheaply. But it all depends where you or your family will be. Lincolnshire is nice, there are some newer construction homes off Half Day you might want to check out too. Schools in Lincolnshire are slightly more acclaimed than in Naperville. Naperville schools are excellent, especially D203 and Neuqua Valley, but these do not have nearly as many amenities as Stevenson, which is the school district that serves Lincolnshire (as well as most of Buffalo Grove and Long Grove, another area to check out, and parts of Vernon Hills). It also has a larger Indo-Pak community. The Barringtons are another area you could check out, although the are farther form the city, and schools are also excellent, though not nearly as highly rated as Naperville or Lincolnshire.
Hope this helps!

Old 08-19-2021, 07:50 AM

18 posts, read 26,197 times
Oak Brook might be an option, or Oak Park/River Forest which are separate cities, but often spoken of together since they are next door to each other. You can also look at Riverside for good schools and an easy commute to Chicago this would also put you not far from Bridgeview which has a large Muslim population. The suburbs closer to the city tend to be older homes than what you are looking for. Lots of development in Berwyn (next door to Riverside) has seen some of the older homes taken down and replaced with larger, new construction. Elementary schools are ok but the high school here is not great.
Wherever you go, please do review the property taxes, they are much different here in IL than TX. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2021, 08:36 AM

120 posts, read 170,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbmama View Post
Oak Brook might be an option, or Oak Park/River Forest which are separate cities, but often spoken of together since they are next door to each other. You can also look at Riverside for good schools and an easy commute to Chicago this would also put you not far from Bridgeview which has a large Muslim population. The suburbs closer to the city tend to be older homes than what you are looking for. Lots of development in Berwyn (next door to Riverside) has seen some of the older homes taken down and replaced with larger, new construction. Elementary schools are ok but the high school here is not great.
Wherever you go, please do review the property taxes, they are much different here in IL than TX. Good luck!
If schools are the primary concern, Oak Park/Bridgeview is not the move. The schools range from alright to decent, but you can do so much more with your money’s worth. Both Naperville and Lincolnshire have higher Muslim concentrations in the area surrounding and have far better schools. It should also be noted that the majority of Muslims in these western areas are Arab; for Indo-Pak Muslims, go to the Oak Brook area, or even BG/Lincolnshire. Oak Brook is great too, but is split between school districts. The best district is the one that goes to Hinsdale Central, although Downers Grove North HS and York HS are fine too. Willowbrook HS homes in Oak Brook are ones I’d avoid; it’s not a bad high school by any means, but definitely a tier down from DGN, York, and Hinsdale Central. Where your wife is working also matters. If she’s working in the West suburbs, I’d go with Hinsdale/Oak Brook. If she’s working in northern suburbs, I’d go with Lincolnshire or Buffalo Grove.

Last edited by Pseudonym18123; 08-19-2021 at 09:11 AM..

Old 08-19-2021, 09:20 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym18123 View Post
If schools are the primary concern, Oak Park/Bridgeview is not the move. The schools range from alright to decent, but you can do so much more with your money’s worth. Both Naperville and Lincolnshire have higher Muslim concentrations in the area surrounding and have far better schools. It should also be noted that the majority of Muslims in these western areas are Arab; for Indo-Pak Muslims, go to the Oak Brook area, or even BG/Lincolnshire. Oak Brook is great too, but is split between school districts. The best district is the one that goes to Hinsdale Central, although Downers Grove North HS is fine too. Willowbrook HS homes in Oak Brook are ones I’d avoid; it’s not a bad high school by any means, but definitely a tier down from DGN and Hinsdale Central. Where your wife is working also matters. If she’s working in the West suburbs, I’d go with Hinsdale/Oak Brook. If she’s working in northern suburbs, I’d go with Lincolnshire or Buffalo Grove.

If schools are the number one concern you will not do better than Stevenson HS and its feeder districts 96, 102, and 103 (basically Lake County Buffalo Grove, Long Grove, Lincolnshire, parts of Kildeer and Hawthorn Woods). Stevenson is more like a small college than a HS with amazing facilities (but you will really pay for it through real estate taxes). Stevenson has an enrollment that is 1/3 Asian, mostly south Asian. It is quite large with about 4,300 students. There is some new construction in Buffalo Grove that would fit your budget. If your wife's work location is in the West suburbs, it will be a long haul, especially in the winter. North or Northwest suburbs would be fine.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:19 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym18123 View Post
If schools are the primary concern, Oak Park/Bridgeview is not the move. The schools range from alright to decent, but you can do so much more with your money’s worth. Both Naperville and Lincolnshire have higher Muslim concentrations in the area surrounding and have far better schools. It should also be noted that the majority of Muslims in these western areas are Arab; for Indo-Pak Muslims, go to the Oak Brook area, or even BG/Lincolnshire. Oak Brook is great too, but is split between school districts. The best district is the one that goes to Hinsdale Central, although Downers Grove North HS and York HS are fine too. Willowbrook HS homes in Oak Brook are ones I’d avoid; it’s not a bad high school by any means, but definitely a tier down from DGN, York, and Hinsdale Central. Where your wife is working also matters. If she’s working in the West suburbs, I’d go with Hinsdale/Oak Brook. If she’s working in northern suburbs, I’d go with Lincolnshire or Buffalo Grove.

I don't know about Bridgeview, but Oak Park and River Forest schools are highly rated and consistently rank among the best in the state.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:21 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnewbie2019 View Post
Hello
We are an India/Pakistan Muslim family deciding to relocate between Austin, TX to Chicago Suburbs. I work in Tech and my current job is permanently remote. 2 Kids 4yr old and 1 yr old.
Schools are extremely important and our #1 criteria. We really like Naperville and Lincolnshire but these are too far from Chicago and would ideally like to find something commutable to chicago downtown
Would love to hear any suggestions on what suburbs/neighborhoods we should be looking at?

Thanks!
Not sure about the pricing / budget in these areas, but in the North I'd also check out Deerfield, Northbrook, Glenview, Northfield, Wilmette & maybe Highland Park. All have quicker drive times to Chicago compared to Lincolnshire (especially Northfield & Wilmette). Winnetka & Glencoe may be too out of budget & less diverse feeling for what it's worth.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:49 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnewbie2019 View Post
Hello

Thanks!
I think that Skokie, Morton Grove, and Lincolnwood are good options for someone looking for a large Indian and Islamic population, along with newer construction at $700-800k. They also offer a shorter commute time to the city than some of the other communities mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs