Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:26 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times

Advertisements

I actually saw a few homeless people in Chicago as well last weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 01:55 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default You sure they weren't scammers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I actually saw a few homeless people in Chicago as well last weekend.

As the posts about Evanston pointed out, more than a few "pan handlers" are hoping to trade on their unkempt appearance and down&out stories as a means of falsely supporting themselves. The vast number of people that plop themselves in the path of commuters meowing out "got any change" seem remarkably well fed, carry cell phones and afford cigarettes that with Cook Co taxes must be over $50 a carton.

Further any number of "sign holding" scammers can be routinely seen getting dropped off and picked up in rather nice trucks/SUVs/vans outside of public view. Amazing how few people will look out a high rise and follow such a scammer a few blocks off the beaten path to a their 'real life'...

While I do know that there are dozens of folks that do rely on the various suburban churches to provide temporary emergency shelter and even structured transitional housing, I know that folks needing such assistance would not be planting themselves in a visible spot like a coffee shop or library. Further, there are many legitimate charities that try and follow-up on people truly in need. Here is the annual report of just one that is active in DuPage Co: http://www.saretcharitablefund.org/SARETAnnualReport2006.pdf (broken link)

Those truly needy folks rarely just show up on a crowded bridge in Chicago or any random public building in the suburbs, they are too busy trying to keep their live together...

Old 05-19-2008, 03:42 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,354 times
Steve-0, I bet it is the same man! He is older with greyish messy hair and for many year sported a long beard - not ZZ Top long, but longish. He usually wears black jeans and black athletic shoes. Like you said, a nice man.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:08 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Well, I for one am shocked and appalled! Hopefully they'll be locked up in a workhouse soon so they don't soil the beautiful tranquility of DuPage County!
REPLY: Even if they are the victims of hard times and homeless not by choice ??? Why cant you be compassionate toward those that are less fortunate , financially hurting, emotionally devastated, and struggle for the basic needs in life ?

Old 05-19-2008, 04:28 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
REPLY: Even if they are the victims of hard times and homeless not by choice ??? Why cant you be compassionate toward those that are less fortunate , financially hurting, emotionally devastated, and struggle for the basic needs in life ?
I think he was being sarcastic.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
Steve-0, I bet it is the same man! He is older with greyish messy hair and for many year sported a long beard - not ZZ Top long, but longish. He usually wears black jeans and black athletic shoes. Like you said, a nice man.
Yeah, thats gotta be him then. He sure does get around! Ive seen him wandering around Rt. 64 in St. Charles, near the Randall Road area as well as over by the Charlestowne Mall area.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:37 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmariez View Post
Has anyone else noticed the explosion in the homeless population in Glen Ellyn? I counted 8 at the library on Mother's Day when I was there with my son. I can't believe the residents, realtors and local shop owners are happy with this. Is anyone doing anything about this?
I Don't even know where to begin here.

But the funniest is about realtors being unhappy about 8 homeless people and the so called explosion. Yeaaaahhhhh in todays market realtors have nothing better to to than worry about a closed minded elitist being afraid of 8 homeless people.

You should definitely move out of Glen Ellyn. I guess it is not what it is used to be. Can you believe they have affordable apartments even some with section 8 in Glen Ellyn as well. Right on Roosevelt and Lorraine. Run, they are coming after you. Relax lady.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:16 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
I think he was being sarcastic.
Bingo! The original poster needs to head eastward, over the county line. By the time they get to Berwyn, they might keel over from shock. There'll be homeless people, people of different races and ethnicities, store signs in funny languages that aren't English, gay couples, oh my!

Old 03-08-2009, 09:13 PM

6 posts, read 24,577 times
Default Homeless in Seattle

That's kind of a joke. I just moved from GE to Seattle (area). The homeless folks get free breakfast and a shower on (I think) Thursdays at the Lutheran (I think) church on Forest, just north of the train station. This is a PADS shelter (I think). Every day they get the same treatment in another town that has access from the commuter train. They're pretty harmless actually, although sometimes unsightly. My eye doctor actually moved her business from downtown cuz they were scaring away her customers.

Sorry'bout the (I think)s. It's all heresay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmariez View Post
Has anyone else noticed the echosion in the homeless population in Glen Ellyn? I counted 8 at the library on Mother's Day when I was there with my son. I can't believe the residents, realtors and local shop owners are happy with this. Is anyone doing anything about this?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 PM

6 posts, read 24,577 times
Have you seen Superman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
There was an interesting article in the paper last winter about an incident at the Glen Ellyn Starbucks. Apparantly a woman was frequenting the coffee shop quite a bit and from her appearance people assumed she was homeless. She was often seen talkking to other homeless people on the sidewalks around town. Well the other patrons complained to Starbucks and management eventually asked her to leave the shop during one of her visits. Come to find out she is NOT homeless, lives in the area and is employed as some type of social worker/counselor for the homeless. Boy did Starbucks have to shell out an apology for this one. I think the town is very cautious of how it handles this type of situation from now on. Glen Ellyn and Wheaton have several orgainzations who assist the homeless and therefore you will see them out and about. There is a man I have seen for many many years and he walks all over. I see him most often in downtown Wheaton but he also walks from Army Trail, south on Gary to the PADs shelter. He has been doing this for years. There is also another man who wears a Blackhawks jacket in the winter and a Blackhawks t-shirt in the summer. He walks the streets all year long and is very polite and friendly. He will tip his hat when he passes a lady. He use to walk past my house 3-4 times a day for about 6 years. We moved but I assume he does the same route since I still see him in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs