U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:25 PM

57 posts, read 116,549 times

Advertisements

We are buying a house in the next week in Chicagoland. We eliminated Naperville because of the longer train drive and drive to Ohare. Also, the long wait on parking passes and the daily commuter lot filling up by 7am (roughly) is unacceptable.

My wife and I (also have a 1 year old son) have decided to go with Glen Ellyn or Elmhurst based on the shorter train ride, ease of getting a parking pass, and daily lot being available up until 8am (roughly).

We can't decide which community we like better. Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 02:55 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,463,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin man View Post
We are buying a house in the next week in Chicagoland. We eliminated Naperville because of the longer train drive and drive to Ohare. Also, the long wait on parking passes and the daily commuter lot filling up by 7am (roughly) is unacceptable.

My wife and I (also have a 1 year old son) have decided to go with Glen Ellyn or Elmhurst based on the shorter train ride, ease of getting a parking pass, and daily lot being available up until 8am (roughly).

We can't decide which community we like better. Any thoughts?
Six of one, half-dozen of the other. Hard to go wrong with either.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:22 PM

198 posts, read 765,824 times
Two great choices. I think you'll get more house for your money in Glen Elynn but the train ride from Elmhurst is shorter and there are alot of express trains that go directly to and from Elmhurst. Parking is easier in Elmhurst - they have 2 parking garages. O'hare is a breeze from Elmhurst, not bad from Glen Elynn. I lived in Elmhurst for 5 years and didn't have a problem getting a pass even as a non-resident. Both towns are really nice and you won't be sorry no matter which one you choose so find a house you like with good schools (don't buy in the Conrad Fischer elementary school district in Elmhurst). If you need daycare for your 1 year old, all my kids went to Children's Montessori Academy in Villa Park right off of Route 83. Ms. Lillian is the director there. I wouldn't have stayed in the workforce for so long if it wasn't for the caring childcare providers and the school teachers there. My kids still ask to go visit on their school breaks.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 15,437 times
PICK GLEN ELLYN! Your Realtor thinks this is a good idea!

Old 03-09-2007, 07:06 PM

76 posts, read 450,121 times
Cool I Can't Decide Either!!!!!

Well this is tough! I like both places, they are both very nice safe, and have good schools. I believe you said you wanted to be near O'hare. Elmhurst is closer to it. I guess between the two, I would pick Elmhurst, it is a bit closer to Chicago, and I really like it there Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:23 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,424,714 times
They both have good things going..I would look at houses in BOTH towns and when you will fall in love with a house/neighborhood,that will take care of the decision

Old 10-26-2007, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 12,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin man View Post
Well, I live in Naperville and we are looking at Glen Ellyn and Wheaton.

Regarding the train - you are physically closer to downtown but the express schedule from Naperville is the single best commute in all of the Metra system. An express train leaves from 59 and Naperville stations like every 20 min all morning and gets you downtown in 40 min. Naperville is very tight parking but 59 isn't too bad but during the school year it does fill up by 7:15.

If you don't catch a full express from Glen Ellyn, it will take you 40-45 min with a few stops along the way. There aren't nearly as many trains it seems from the schedule as BNSF has.

Naperville is much newer in terms of homes and such except for the downtown area. Glen Ellyn and Elmhurst are much older on average. Thus, , much of both of those towns have been torn down/rebuilt.

All have excellent schools. You can't go wrong with those burbs.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:04 AM

325 posts, read 1,375,259 times
I took the Metra into the city and it was great. Express, 25 minutes and often. Non-express 40ish. Sometimes in the morning you had to stand, but usually I got a nice comfy seat where I could drink my coffee and read the paper. Much different than when I moved into Chicago and had to squeeze into the L...

The ease of having O'Hare nearby is great. I didn't realize it's benefit until after I moved away, definitely took it for granted. Not only is O'Hare insanely close, Midway is very doable to boot.

As to the two cities, it's a tough choice. I think the person who recommended letting the house decide had a really good idea.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 AM

474 posts, read 2,389,711 times
Default Elmhurst Vs. Glen Ellyn

As everyone has mentioned, both towns are a very good choice for the Chicago suburbs. Another minor thing to consider is any possible future education that you might want to pursue? Elmhurst has its Elmhurst College which I believe is a four year school. And Glen Ellyn has its College of DuPage, a community college. Also in Glen Ellyn is the serene Lake Ellyn. Although a small lake, it is still very nice to visit. In nearby Wheaton, Wheaton College is also available.

Carter Glass

Old 10-26-2007, 07:39 AM

4,723 posts, read 14,424,714 times
This post was pulled up from JANUARY,I dont think the op is around anymore or has already moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs