Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 07:10 PM

212 posts, read 230,146 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I’ve never felt unsafe in Waukegan. The crime there doesn’t seem too bad from the many times I’ve visited. It’s a little rough but I wouldn’t call it a crap hole. Same goes for North Chicago. Some parts are a little run-down looking but overall it’s not too bad. Downtown Waukegan isn’t terribly exciting, but it’s neat if you’re into historical architecture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 09:15 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
It isn't Harvey nor Englewood but it is still a fair bit below being a place I would recommend a middle class person move to. Lately Zion to the north seems to be making the news for all the wrong reasons.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:12 AM

529 posts, read 646,945 times
Have you considered Skokie? That seems to check all your boxes.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:15 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Skokie would be a good option, my mother grew up there and it is still a decent town. I lived in Niles until recently and it was an ok town, kind of blue collar but certainly better than Waukegan. Morton Grove and Glenview are also nice suburbs though pricier than Niles.

I personally prefer DuPage county but I drive to Evanston and Wilmette about a dozen times a year to hang out with my bike club there and the drive there is not fun, mainly going east/west from I-294 usually on Rt-14 Dempster. I would not recommend that on a regular basis especially during rush hour.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 12-13-2021 at 07:47 AM..

Old 12-13-2021, 07:37 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
Good morning,

I really only drive THROUGH Waukegan. They have a rather large choice of Mexican restaurants and bakeries. I have a family member in Milwaukee that, as a tradition, brings family members down there periodically to get Mexican bakery and ice cream. I went with him once. I believe it was called "La Concha."

And years ago, I had an employment associate down there, and I visited his site a couple of times.

Waukegan is a rather big body of area. I believe the Chili's on 43 (Waukegan Road) is technically IN Waukegan, as well. And I have been there a couple of times.

Otherwise, like I said I just drive through it... So go check it out. See if you "connect with it."

Some other colleagues on here have mentioned Skokie. Now I feel a huge connection when I go there!

So find your happy place! Best to you!!

Old 12-13-2021, 06:43 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Although I love Evanston myself, I can understand it is expensive if you want a SFH. However, Waukegan is not too bad. A big plus is the Metra line allowing you to commute without dealing with the mind numbing traffic. A major reason to skip Waukegan is the schools. But since you no longer have any in school, not an issue.

Old 12-14-2021, 05:18 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,242,543 times
Grew up in Chicago in a mainly immigrant neighborhood, but we moved to Waukegan after my sophomore year of high school. It was a decent place back then (circa 1983). I moved away after high school. My parents and siblings moved from Waukegan to Kenosha, WI and have been there ever since. They noted a decline in the overall area and rising taxes. I’ve not been to Waukegan since they moved, so I can’t comment really, but since dad hated moving, the fact that he did speaks pretty strongly about the area to me. I think it’s just been on the steady decline trajectory.

Old 12-14-2021, 06:41 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Grew up in Chicago in a mainly immigrant neighborhood, but we moved to Waukegan after my sophomore year of high school. It was a decent place back then (circa 1983). I moved away after high school. My parents and siblings moved from Waukegan to Kenosha, WI and have been there ever since. They noted a decline in the overall area and rising taxes. I’ve not been to Waukegan since they moved, so I can’t comment really, but since dad hated moving, the fact that he did speaks pretty strongly about the area to me. I think it’s just been on the steady decline trajectory.
The population of Waukegan grew by 29% between 1990 and 2000. It fell by 0.4% between 2000 and 2010, but between 2010 and 2020, it grew again by 0.3%. It seems like the area is pretty stable to me. Home prices are rising there just like almost everywhere else. These aren't the statistics that reflect a city on a "steady decline."

Also, some of Waukegan is actually fairly upscale. The whole Daybreak Farms subdivision has some higher-end homes and Warren Township schools. Much of western Waukegan has Libertyville addresses.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:44 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
Apparently, the Mayor of Waukegan, Ann Taylor, lives in Nickels and Dimes Farm—a luxury subdivision with Libertyville schools.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:48 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,242,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The population of Waukegan grew by 29% between 1990 and 2000. It fell by 0.4% between 2000 and 2010, but between 2010 and 2020, it grew again by 0.3%. It seems like the area is pretty stable to me. Home prices are rising there just like almost everywhere else. These aren't the statistics that reflect a city on a "steady decline."

Also, some of Waukegan is actually fairly upscale. The whole Daybreak Farms subdivision has some higher-end homes and Warren Township schools. Much of western Waukegan has Libertyville addresses.
That’s all well and good. Stats matter very little to people who are experiencing a different reality. Again, I had zero problems with Waukegan when I lived there. We had a very nice tutor style home on a corner lot. Dad and the family moved when things started going downhill. He had a boots-on-the-ground vantage point. He hasn’t regretted his decision. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs